Is there a difference between steaming and using a heat cap?

fletgee

I would like to alternate each of these treatments week to week. My hair is extremely dry and moisture applied thru heat methods really seems to be what my hair needs.

But is there really any difference between steaming and using a heat cap?

What do you say, ladies?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
^^^^^^^^^^

IA: The Steamer is emitting moist heat from a Water source.:grin:

The Heat Cap is like a dry baking heat. Similiar to a Heat Pad.:yep:

Totally Different, but both IMO are very useful in their own right.

Tiye

If you don't have a steamer can you wrap a wet towel around your head then sit under a bonnet dryer or a heat cap? I know people who don't have steamers but they improvise with hot towels and plastic bags or caps. Obviously you don't the duration or consistency if you do it manually but you can get the same conditioning effect.

aymone

I have a steamer and I love it! I had the table hair dryer from Sally's but it's totally different with a steamer especially if you are stretching because it really makes your roots much softer and you can stretch longer. Also you feel the products penetrating your hair even more. And if you have facial products you can also get 2 in one, that's what I do. I got mine from ebay at 119 with free shipping and it's very good. I would encourage anyone to get a steamer

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I have a new steamer but I haven't used it long enough to give real feedback. I can't say it works any better than my heating cap.... yet. I don't know.

But I'd say it's a little more inconvenient because with my heating cap I can walk around the house with it on (with a long extension cord).:yep: For the steamer you gotta sit there and do nothing but maybe read. You can try to peek through and watch TV since it's not loud but you can't be on the phone (it might get wet).

darlingdiva

I've only done a steam treatment once, but I loved the way it made my hair feel.

I did a home grown steam treatment with AO GPB, and it was quite moisturizing. My roots were much softer than usual, and the conditioner penetrated better than it does w/ a heating cap.

I plan on doing steam treatments when I start flat-ironing my hair.

FebeeSigns

Steamers can be very expensive. The Towel method or just plain standing in a hot water shower and letting the moist steam cover your hair are alternatives. I personally prefer my heat therapy wrap cap to a steamer. There is a slight difference when steaming though, seems a little more manageable. Easier to detangle for me.

Moodyma'am

IMO YES there is a huge difference between steaming and the heat cap.

I had a heat cap for 2+ years and I finally invested in a stand up steamer 4 months ago. The steamer wins for me hands down. Its totally turbo charged my DCs. Cost me a prett penny but no regrets.

JJamiah

The Steamer is the only thing I use for my DC other than the Self Heating cap when I am on the run.

I will Continue to use both because no other conditions as well. My hair can tell when I don't use my steamer or self heating cap. ;)

fletgee

Ok ladles. This is what I am getting so far. Correct me if I am incorrect, please.

Heat cap:

Dry heat.
Delivers your dc to the hair without the moisture that the steamer relies on.
Because it does not rely on moisture for penatration the hair may tolerate this type of dc treatment more frequently.
A longer extension cord may give you a little mobility.
A cheaper alternative to a steamer.

Steamer:

Moist heat delivery.
Moist heat treatments may be limited due to the hair's ability to handle frequent moist dc treatments.
More expensive appliance.
Possible storage issues
Tied to one area during the duration of the treatment.

Great information, ladies. I feel in a better position to make my decision. Both are great dc treatment application equipment. This is gonna be a tuffie.