Is there anyone else that doesnt like hair too long?

Trinity1

I'm starting to think I'm more like my sisters who can grow waist length hair in a heartbeat but always elect to cut it all off. My hair WAS a couple of inches past bra strap but I decided to cut off 3 inches so it is now 1 inch above bra strap and can I say I LOVE IT!!!! It has more body,more life,looks thicker because the ends are evened out. Holds curls much much better. On top of that I cut around 5 inches off the front to create long bangs that will give my hair more of a style and shape. My hair was the same length all the way around and looking quite drab. It seems the longer it gets,the heavier it gets and less it will curl and do anything. Dont get me wrong I have seen some beautiful heads of hair on this board with beyond bra-strap length hair but I'm thinking that I might be more of a "slightly above bra-strap length girl" Thats more than enough hair for me. Anyone else feel that way?

TeeTee2

Cincysweetie

You are not the only one. I love longer hair...on other people! It's just not for me. My goal is bra strap and then I will start cutting out my relaxer and maintain it right around that length. I just don't see myself being able (or willing) to handle hair much longer than that. I had long hair before and cut it because I couldn't do anything with it, so I will likely keep it at a medium length Plus, I think I look better with hair that isn't so long.

jasmin

I just want to get to bra strap and that's a maybe. I don't know why but I'm not interested in going past that mark. Maybe I will try to get past that mark just to see if I could do it but then cut it. I really don't want it that long.

I like my hair the length it is now (past bra-strap, give or take a few inches). I don't think I would ever want my hair down to my waist, though. That's just too much hair for me! What in the world would I do with it if it ever got that long? I don't like wearing my hair down anyway so having hair that long would kinda be pointless. :ohwell:

Last edited:

hairmaster

brownhaired_bonanza said:
I like my hair the length it is now (past bra-strap, give or take a few inches). I don't think I would ever want my hair down to my waist, though. That's just too much hair for me! What in the world would I do with it if it ever got that long? I don't like wearing my hair down anyway so having hair that long would kinda be pointless. :ohwell:
How do you wear your hair then, does the beautician charge more for working with long hair?

Trinity1

Cincysweetie said:
You are not the only one. I love longer hair...on other people! It's just not for me. My goal is bra strap and then I will start cutting out my relaxer and maintain it right around that length. I just don't see myself being able (or willing) to handle hair much longer than that. I had long hair before and cut it because I couldn't do anything with it, so I will likely keep it at a medium length Plus, I think I look better with hair that isn't so long.

Cincysweetie,

I feel the same way you do. I find that I look better with hair that is medium length but I didnt have the guts to cut my hair to medium length. Right now when I look in the mirror ,I would definitely define my hair length as long. My friends said "your hair is still very long". But for some reason once it started to get past bra strap it made me look older and it was just flat on my head with a little curl at the ends.......Yuk!!!!! I think I will keep my hair trimmed at this length and just maintain its health. Bra strap is it for me!

TeeTee2

hairmaster said:
How do you wear your hair then, does the beautician charge more for working with long hair?

When I do my hair at home (in between trips to the salon for touch-ups) after shampooing my hair I'll pull it back in either one ponytail or sometimes two, and put rollers in it and sit under the dryer. My hairstyles stay pretty simple. My hairdresser doesn't have a set price for my hair... I just up the amount I pay each year because with my amount of hair it wouldn't be right for me to pay the minimum. I usually ask her to roller-wrap it and pin it up, or make it into a french twist. The less i have to do to it, the better. :)

isawstars

I feel the same way! I love the bra strap length on many people but that would be too much hair to me... and i wonder... how in the world do waist and butt length people wash their hair?

SherryLove

i am feeling you... but now i am just curious to see how long my hair will grow.... i give it another year...and then i may seriously part with it... i will go back to wearing it shoulder length like i used to...

SherryLove

Kristenxdollface said:
I feel the same way! I love the bra strap length on many people but that would be too much hair to me... and i wonder... how in the world do waist and butt length people wash their hair?

i don't wash my own hair.... LOL... i go to the salon to get it washed.. it is a pain the butt.....

lovechic

I just want waistlength hair. I think that's all I can handle:lol:! But more power to the tailbone/hip challengers!:up:

lsubabiedee

I'm not trying to grow my hair superlong...i mean if it grows that long, then okay, but it's not something I'm looking forward to...when it gets bra strap, imma wear two braids cuz i love that style...any longer and ummm...hmmm....i dont know

QUINN

I just want bra strap length healthy hair. I want a nice ponytail and that will be it for me. I have a way to go for that!:lol: Happy hair growing ladies.

SilkyandSmooth

JALA said:
I just want bra strap length healthy hair.

Same here. I want bra strap when straightened hair. Anything longer than that is too much for me. I don't have the patience to deal with a whole lot of hair.

I want armpit length hair. Longer than that seems boring and more of a hassle to me. I may try to grow it a little longer than armpit length and follow up with a trim everso often, but most of the time when I see people with armpit length hair I imagine myself with that length.

ETA: If my hair looks too thin at the ends when I reach my goal I would probably sacrifice that length for thicker looking hair.

Last edited:

CarLiTa

Hmm... i considered waistlength for a while, only because i saw that many ladies on here accomplished that goal, but it really isn't something i'm dying to have.
It'd be cool to see it grow that long though, to show it off a little bit, then i'd get tired of it... i think i'd be tempted to show of all that hair, but that wouldn't work... oh well

i want mid-back length hair... a few inches below brastrap. If all goes well, maybe December '05 or a bit later, then i'll trim to keep where it's at once in a while.

i get discouraged sometimes cuz it seems like i have a long way to go, with all the shrinkage from the NG. Can't wait till my next relaxer! :)

Babygurl

I think that just for fun Im going to see how long I can grow my hair (if I can even GET to waist it would be a miracle), after that Ill keep it at about bra strap.

B

ballet_bun

lovechic said:
I just want waistlength hair. I think that's all I can handle:lol:! But more power to the tailbone/hip challengers!:up:

Is there a waist length Challenge or Group?

Stormy

I'm a shoulder length girl myself. I can do a lot with my hair and it's not too much of a hassle.

qtgirl

I think that long hair can be boring or lifeless depending on how you have it cut or styled. Like someone (forgot who) said about them cutting long bangs, etc. you can have long (even waistlength) hair, but have layers cut in it to make it more interesting. My goal is an inch or 2 past bra-strap, but I know because of my face shape I'd never want a completely blunt hair cut, I'm thinking blunt in the back with layers on the sides to frame my face.

Desert Skye

I dont like my hair too long at all. My hair reached bra strap and this is the longest I have ever had it but I have to say its annoying. I have a hard time combing the back of my head and I have a hard time rollersetting it. On top of that my hair is thick so when I want to wear my hair curly, it becomes limp.I am not going to cut it right away but I do feel better with little bit below the shoulder length hair.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Armpit length is good enough for me. :up:

Bra-strap length would be a nice goal to achieve, but it's not necessary.

As for waist length or beyond, that requires too much patience and responsibility on my part. I'll rather look at beautiful album pics and celebrate with those ladies who achieve their goals. :yep:

diamoness

I want to grow my hair super long just to see if I can, and to prove to my short haired family members and friends who don't think it's possible for black folks to have long healthy hair.....unless you're mixed,,,,,,that it can be done.

Now, once I get there I may like it or I may not. Who knows? But at least want to try it. I never had long hair before, so I can't say.

Trinity1

qtgirl said:
I think that long hair can be boring or lifeless depending on how you have it cut or styled. Like someone (forgot who) said about them cutting long bangs, etc. you can have long (even waistlength) hair, but have layers cut in it to make it more interesting. My goal is an inch or 2 past bra-strap, but I know because of my face shape I'd never want a completely blunt hair cut, I'm thinking blunt in the back with layers on the sides to frame my face.

qtgirl,

I'm with you on that. I guess everyone has their limit as far as what looks good on them and I know with my face/shape,height etc..... slightly above bra-strap or right at bra-strap looks great on me,anything beyond looks.....as you said boring and lifeless. I'm loving my long bangs too!

TeeTee2

You gotta admit that your style options grow ever smaller as you hair grows ever longer. I don't really buy mags like Sophisticate's black hair anymore because most of the hairdo's in it are simply too short for me. Soooo many pretty ones but out of the question for my hair. :look:

Jewell

brownhaired_bonanza said:
You gotta admit that your style options grow ever smaller as you hair grows ever longer. I don't really buy mags like Sophisticate's black hair anymore because most of the hairdo's in it are simply too short for me. Soooo many pretty ones but out of the question for my hair. :look:

I couldn't agree with you more. I used to keep up with SBH every issue, but there are very few styles that I can relate to.

naomi

good skin and hair
I am so feeling you on that one- my hair was too long, one length and my ends were limp- It just wouldnt hold any hairstyle. I pretty much grew my hair out and never did a trim.

Anyway, my co-worker who is also a cosmetology student has been convincing me to get a layered cut, anyway I finally decided to give her the go ahead to cut my hair into layers without sacrificing to much length- it came out perfect. And It was free.

My hair falls better and holds the bounce whenI do my rollerset. And my ends are so much thicker. I absolutely love it. And all this time I was so afraid to cut my hair thinking that my hair would end up short. But the way she did it, I didnt even lose that much length. I never realized that my hair was so long that I wouldnt even miss a couple of inches.
Before my hair was past brastrap, but now with my layered cut its touching bra strap.