Is there such a thing as PROTEIN SENSITIVE RELAXED HAIR?

Can relaxed hair be protein sensitive?

• Yes, my hair hates protein.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • No, my hair absolutely needs protein.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Possibly, my hair barely needs any protein.

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • Good question, I'm struggling with this too.

Votes: 19 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Angelinhell

I'm relaxed and I don't own ANY moisturizing conditioners, even all my leave ins are protein. I have very thick hair, I only use moisturizing conditioners maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

jcdlox

I finally learned that my hair is pretty strong and protein of any kind causes breakage. I recently switched to Joico Moisture Recovery line from Mizani and its revitalized my hair. Just posting this so someone else wondering why protein isn't reducing breakage won't suffer as long as I did.

Glamorous_chic

i haven't read all of the responses. but to answer your question, i believe so. when i was relaxed and even now as a natural my hair was/is protein sensitive. anything with any type of protein, would break my hair off. once i started paying attention to ingredients, and making sure to only use protein-free products, my hair thrived. occasionally i would forget and buy something that was recommended on here, use it, and my hair would be back to breaking, and i would read the ingredients and sure enough, protein was the culprit. to make things worse, my hair strands are fine. i just had to make sure to protective style, not manipulate too much, and make sure to only use protein free products.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Yes there of plenty of ladies that are protein sensitive and whether you're relaxed or natural, Protein Overload is real.

BadMamaJama

My hair hated protein when I was natural. I dyed my hair when I was natural so I tried to step up my protein. ORS replenishing was the strongest protein my hair liked and even then if I left it on too long, I'd end up with protein overload.

Now I'm relaxed and color treated and I am still totally protein sensitive. I recently realized that I can't do too much protein at all. Now I use products that are light protein. If I use a protein shampoo, I don't use a protein conditioner. If I use a protein condish, I don't leave it on too long and I follow up by using a moisturizing condish for sure. I decided to get my protein a little at time and my hair likes it that way.
I kept hearing that if you are relaxed you need protein and if you are color treated, you def need protein. I kept using it and kept getting protein overload. So now the only thing I listen to is my hair. The rules don't always apply.

BadMamaJama

I am 4a/b relaxed, fine, dense. I thought my hair hated protein for a long time. I suffered from protein overload many times. Then I realized that I had to learn how to use protein. If I use it with heat in any way shape or form, I will lose hair. Meaning I cannot steam or sit under the dryer with a protein conditioner in my hair. I cannot steam or sit under the dryer even after I've rinsed the protein condish; like for example if I want to follow the protein with a moisture DC I cannot use heat with the moisture DC. So basically when its time for me to use protein I use something like Aphogee 2 Minute or Joico K Pak in the shower. Only when I follow these rules can I use protein often and avoid hair loss. So I am thinking that makes me protein sensitive.
That is a really good point. I can't use heat with protein either.

lilpooky

Good thread! I've had a breakage problem in the past, but it is starting to get better now that I am learning the proper way to use protein. I use to overload on protein all the time by using all protein products which I am now substituting for ones that are moisturizing. My hair is breaking less, and it feels much softer. For some reason I was under the assumption that relaxed hair needed lots of protein because my hair was relaxed and color treated before at one point. Now that my hair is no longer color treated, I find that I only need a little protein.