Is this foreal?

caliber38

hey ladies a stylist said something to me recently and I thought it was complete crap. Tell me what u think. I was told by the stylist that freshly trimmed hair would hold a curl better and be less tangled. I really dont see the correlation :perplexed... i just think they wanted to trim my hair. I also told the stylist that I was getting my hair trimmed less frequently to retain more length b/c i wanna get from BSL to WL ASAP. I told the stylist that if i'm constantly getting trims i'll never retain any length :wallbash:. Ofcourse the stylist disagreed. Please share your thoughts.

ravenmerlita

My freshly trimmed hair gets a lot less tangled than when my hair is not freshly trimmed. I am not sure about holding a curl better though.

ryanshope

I am no hairstylist, but my 4ab hair does hold a nicer curl and look better with a fresh trim...hair is like rope, the ends can get worn and frayed, so a trim cleans up the lines and makes for better styling...hth..

gabulldawg

Yea that is true. I heard that one of the signs to check whether you have split ends or not is whether your hair won't hold a curl.

Neroli

I am no hairstylist, but my 4ab hair does hold a nicer curl and look better with a fresh trim...hair is like rope, the ends can get worn and frayed, so a trim cleans up the lines and makes for better styling...hth..

ITA. However, if you're not wearing curls, then why bother? If you're bunning or doing other protective styles to retain lenght, then don't worry about trimming. If you're wearing your hair out and want it to hold a curl, then might make sense to trim. Depends on where you're at . . .

DivaRox

Well said-
I'm thinking this might not pertain to rollersets though. At any rate, if they're not damaged, I wouldn't trim for any cosmetic reason that she listed, unless you wear your ends out and the tangling is causing some sort of damage.

Softresses

I guess this could be true IF you have split or ragged ends. If you don't you should not have to trim every time you want to curl your hair. That does not make any sense. Sounds way too scissor happy to me.

Softresses

C

chica_canella

ITA. However, if you're not wearing curls, then why bother? If you're bunning or doing other protective styles to retain lenght, then don't worry about trimming. If you're wearing your hair out and want it to hold a curl, then might make sense to trim. Depends on where you're at . . .

Ok, I agree with you. Your stylist is speaking of people with frayed, split or just jacked up ends. But think about it this way: if your hair is in the same condition as the hair further up along the shafts, then they would both hold a curl the same. Your ends look fine from the pic.

C

chica_canella

Yea that is true. I heard that one of the signs to check whether you have split ends or not is whether your hair won't hold a curl.

If your hair won't hold a curl then it must be seriously over processed and jacked up like my hair was before lhcf. No matter what I did to try to straighten it, my hair remained scrawgly and frizzy looking and would not get straight let alone hold a curl.:look:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Actually I agree with the stylist, even on the second point, which I DO see why you would question the correlation. In my experience though, that one seems true as well. Now, with that said--judging by your picture, you do not need a trim and your ends look to be in excellent shape. So I would only apply what your stylist is saying to someone who has thing that are in obvious need of some help. :up:

cg92

I think your ends look fine. Your hair looks nice. Your hair strands do not grow uniformly plus sometimes we get breakage so you have pieces at the ends that are shorter and longer. 'l'll'' (drawing of ends) when you cut it the ends are more uniform and thicker lllllll and because of this it looks better curled. If your goal is waist length, your ends are not damaged, and appearences don't bother you I would not listen to her. If you do you might end up back at APL.

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

I also agree with the stylist going from my own experience with trying to flat iron and bump someone elses ends. her ends were so dry, knotty and knotty that it was hard to get the ends to match with the rest of her hair. No super sleek look for her :nono:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I was always told this as well. I've heard it from different stylists. But my hair has always been fine and limp and it takes a lot for it to hold a curl, so I don't really know what the truth is...:ohwell:

itismehmmkay

I'm going to have to agree w/ your stylist. At the same time, she seems a little to peppy in trimming your hair. :nono:

I have found that the best trimmers/cutters are at TGIF. This could be b/c I"m partial to my homegirl Serena. I can literally close my eyes when she cuts my hair and just wait until she's done. She'll even tell me if I don't really need a trim.....in fact there have been times when I ask her to cut anyway :look: