Is this what damaged hair looks like? (pics)

Bublin

As some of you may have read i had my first press done on my natural hair and had a bad experience where one side looked damaged. The 'stylist' used a stove tong to do it.:nono:

Well i applied Dove Regenerating Hair Mask for dry or damaged hair - onto my dry hair and let it sit for about 30 mins.

I shampoo'd with CON
Oil rinsed with Olive Oil
Applied Queen Helene Cholestrol Hair Condtioning Cream and let it sit for about 45 mins
Gently detangled
and this is what my hair looks like

IMGP0488.jpg
[/IMG]

Funnily enough the part i thought was damaged is fine. Not that any of this is funny. There are still straight strands throughout my hair but it is very soft and there appears to be no split ends.

I don't want to cut it off and i'm not going to get mad at myself.

I admit i should have known better but hey, you live and learn.

I have now put it into about 15 chunky plaits for it to air dry. Before doing this i applied a leave-in and sealed with organic coconut oil.

Its K.I.S.S from now on for me.

Last edited:
Hi Bublin,

I'm sorry to hear that your first press did not turn out as expected! :ohwell: Your hair doesn't look damaged just your curl pattern has been weaken.

Try to treat your hair to a series of con washes.....and just be gentle for the next few months.

Keep the faith, Curli

I agree with CurliDiva, your hair will go back to normal after a few co-washes or deep conditioning treatments. Don't cut it off.

Hi Bublin,

I'm sorry to hear that your first press did not turn out as expected! :ohwell: Your hair doesn't look damaged just your curl pattern has been weaken.

Try to treat your hair to a series of con washes.....and just be gentle for the next few months.

Keep the faith, Curli

I agree with CurliDiva and malachi74, I used affirm 5n1 reconstructor too, when I had that problem and it helped me!

As some of you may have read i had my first press done on my natural hair and had a bad experience where one side looked damaged. The 'stylist' used a stove tong to do it.:nono:

Well i applied Dove Regenerating Hair Mask for dry or damaged hair - onto my dry hair and let it sit for about 30 mins.

I shampoo'd with CON
Oil rinsed with Olive Oil
Applied Queen Helene Cholestrol Hair Condtioning Cream and let it sit for about 45 mins
Gently detangled
and this is what my hair looks like

IMGP0488.jpg
[/IMG]

Funnily enough the part i thought was damaged is fine. Not that any of this is funny. There are still straight strands throughout my hair but it is very soft and there appears to be no split ends.

I don't want to cut it off and i'm not going to get mad at myself.

I admit i should have known better but hey, you live and learn.

I have now put it into about 15 chunky plaits for it to air dry. Before doing this i applied a leave-in and sealed with organic coconut oil.

Its K.I.S.S from now on for me.

I love your attitude about the whole thing. Your hair still looks pretty. It has really grown a lot. Good luck.

Phew, i thought i had killed my hair in that section.

I'll continue with the co-washes and protein treatments.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments and advice.

A stove tong, huh? Wow. I was scared to see the pic when I read that. Just make sure you baby your hair. It has to be in a seriously weakened condition, very vulnerable. Keep up on treatments and stay vigilant on the moisture. You will be okay. :yep:

Yes and no. The heat has loosened your curl pattern in that one spot which is essentially damage but it's not completely damaged. If so, it would be totally straight. I might shrink back up over time. If not you can just cut it gradually. I'd say just keep up with the dcing like the other ladies have suggested.

I had my hair straightened last Thursday. When I washed my natural hair this morning, it looked just like your picture. In only one section! My question is, is how can only one piece of hair be damaged when the whole head of hair was straightened. I have the sectioned pinned up with a bobby pin :nono: and I will deep condition tonight as soon as I get home from work.

Bublin,

I don't mean to steal your thread, but I am very upset right now. I pre-poo ed with conditioners, I washed with CON and now I'm sitting with emergencia in my hair. The section has not curled up like the rest of my hair. What did I do. And I went to a professional:wallbash:

I had to find this thread tonight so someone can share that it is not permanent. WTF. Man. That's what I get for trying to be cute.

I'm going to twist my hair up tonight and wear a twist out. Take care

:wallbash:

Ncarter,

We can't be mad at ourselves.

We read how others have straightened their hair and nothing has happened so we figure we can treat ourselves - hey 2 years of looking after and growing our natural hair deserves a treat.

Its just that this treat is not really a treat. :perplexed

We live and learn and we must be gratefull that the whole of our heads haven't been singe'd off :drunk:.

Yes, its weird thats its only one section.

This may sound out of order but i'm wondering if others have had damage like ours and not fessed up :grin:.

Did they use marcel irons on you or plug-in ceramic flat irons?

I co-washed again last night and the curl pattern is better but not back to normal. Like Bmore says, the curl pattern should come back after a few washes.

I plan on doing my Dove reconstructive treatments as a pre-poo twice a week.

Back