Is WSL the new standard on the board?

LadyPaniolo

Wow, I really needed to see this thread today so I can appreciate where I am now... my hair has stalled out at waist length for like 6 months, I just can't seem to get any growth :cry3: but reading this thread makes me remember the time when Waist seemed like an impossible dream. My goal is Classic length, that has not changed from my first day on this board.

It is so frustrating for me because I know that if I had not texlaxed, I'd be running up on Classic right now. :wallbash: :cry3: and I'm actually halfway contemplating a BC down to just my natural hair, which is about shoulder length, and wearing my C&G braids till I get there. I don't have time to put braids in at this length.

Anyway, Waist is pretty long, and someday I will attain my goal length :armyhat: come hades or high water.

Kindheart

I m gonna be happy with whatever point my hair will want to grow to.I don't wanna set a goal otherwise I ll get to the point where I ll be obsessed about it and overdo it .I ve been WL before I can get there again .

Missjae09

I'm in the bc to wl challenge as well.. I can't imagine me with hair that long, but i'm going to try my hardest to get it there. I can't say whether its the new standard or not but I definitely think it's a goal for a lot of people on the board.

Black Hoya Chick

I think its because of hair anorexia. Prior to the boards, most black women (including me) thought that past SL/APL was super long. Hair boards changed that. Now that I am Full BSL, it doesn't seem like that much. One more inch will make me MBL and I am like, "that's it?" lol. So WL it is!

fletgee

When I became a member in late 2006, it seems like everyone was trying for bra strap length. Now it seems forget BSL, you ain't long until you are waist length. It might be that we are the pioneers in growing long hair and waist length is possible for most women of color. As stated in the thread about 4b hair, even 4b is possible if you do a lot of protective hair styling. Does anyone else feel this way? Is WSL where most of us are trying to get to?

Alot of ladies on this board started their hair quests years ago and reached their goals of bra strap lenth. I reached mine in 2004 (before my cancer). So a longer length goal for some is just a natural progression.

People join at different hair lengths and proceed from there. We all have personal goals for our hair. Those with shorter hair would like it longer. Those with longer hair want it longer. From there to there, to there.

It's what you want depending on your current length and your goal length. Long, longer, longest. And ain't it fun!

ETA-For me if I can get back to a healthy bra strap length I will be a happy camper.

Enyo

I am trying not to stress so my one true goal is to never cut again, I can search and destroy, trim or shape but I made a promise to myself to just never cut it again. Whatever will be will be.

That's where I'm at as well. I only trim splits to prevent further damage. That's it.

Tiye

I'm not committed to a length goal yet. WL might be nice just to see how my hair behaves at that length but I value versatility over length. And I enjoy my hot tools so for example the no heat challenges are not for me and if that means less length I'm fine with that.

jenaccess

My goal is full BSL and once my hair get there again I am going to continue taking care of my hair and stay true to my regime. I will continue to grow as long as my ends look good. I can't stand long hair with thin see through ends.

nubiennze

I guess I joined at the wrong time, lol...BSL is just where I imagine my hair will fall at SL unstretched. I'll go to MBL if I have to, but I think that's about as much hair as I can reasonably expect to manage.

tocktick

My goal was originally APL. As I approached that length, I changed my goal to WL. However, I think when I get to MBL I will be extremely happy and will probably be able to do pretty much all the things I want to do with my hair style-wise.

My hair is around BSB and I'm loving what it can do now. Gone are the days of using heat for a quick fix to bigger looking hair. I can achieve that with twisouts and finally my braidouts are looking right. It's been as much about the extra length as it has about finding the right technique. I can now also get nice looking low ponys, cute buns, regular ponys, ballerina buns etc.

I think MBL/WL would just kick all those aforementioned styles up another level. I love my twistouts and they get compliments and even head-turns. However, I think longer/fuller/bigger hair would really enhance things. My TOs look somewhat like Moptop Maven's (Gabana Girl on here) but shorter and I would love to see my own TOs when I've reached her length. Her hair is inspiring to me. Longer hair also = more diversity of styles. I think this is why most people pick this length and maybe they think it's long hair but not too much hair to handle as opposed to HL etc. There are some styles I still can't do at my current length that I would like to be able to do.

Last edited:

Lovelylocs

I bet most of the people who say no are just beginning. I used to be like that too. But now that I am brastrap, WL seems like it would be so much more fun!

lolascurls

I've always wanted waist length hair! But at first APL seemed like a huge goal!
Now I'm thinking Hip length is the next step, but I'll start feeling long at waist length.
My hair shrinks alot, 4a/4b and even when I was texlaxed BSL my shrinkage too me to just above APL!

nubiennze

Now that I've read over the whole thread, it seems the ladies who amended their original goals did so due to shrinkage. Maybe the "standard" changed because there are more naturals now, but visually the objective is the same (i.e. hair that rests around BSL).

i am wishing for ear length right now.......lol!

:yep:

I'll be honest, I just fear I'm too lazy to commit to the level of maintenance it would take to approach SL--much less WL--and the "laissez-faire" approach doesn't work with my hair. I pray I can get into a rhythm with sew ins and half wigs, keep it braided and away from my hands and/or scissors, baby my edges, and see more progress than I can currently envision. The longest I've ever been is CBL, so I know I can at least get there. Maybe I'll feel more confident joining you hair anorexics after that, lol.

(As an aside, I appreciate this thread for reminding me to update my siggy, lol...I need to go on a "Hide Your Scissors" challenge... :wallbash:)

Mrs. Verde

I am shooting for terminal length. I just want to know how long my hair can grow. However, I have to admit like others, my shrinkage is a beast. My natural hair shrinks to about above SL. You can see how long my hair is when flatironed in my signature. It's crazy.

s4pphir3

I really just want my hair to go back to the length it was before all the damage, which was MBL but since I don't plan to straighten as often I think WL will give me the curly length I want which should be around APL/BSB area.

RegaLady

Not for me personally. Long hair is pretty to look at...but I like to do what I wanna do with my hair so I am enjoying it where it is. Also, I'm not big on always aiming for what the next woman has.

Thank you! I KNOW my limits and what I look good/flattering in. APL was my goal and it is still my goal. If it is must be longer than that, then I would fo BSL, at that would be it. Everything else is a bit much:ohwell:.

Victorian

old head
Now that I've read over the whole thread, it seems the ladies who amended their original goals did so due to shrinkage. Maybe the "standard" changed because there are more naturals now, but visually the objective is the same (i.e. hair that rests around BSL).

I think there may be something to this, plus just the fact that more people have been on here long enough to reach BSL and get that anorexia...

I personally don't want WSL anymore (I did for a while), but it seems like a more popular goal than it used to be. Maybe in a few years HL will be the new standard :lol:

Mari-Cris

I am a Newbie and in the very beginning my goal was MBL. Now that I see/know the possibilities, I want to go ALL out and reach WL. I think MBL unstretched=WL stretched for my hair. Once I am MBL unstretched, I will just trim the ends to maintain that length.

I cannot wait until I am viewing and posting in threads that pertain to maintaining your length. LOL. I think I will reach the goal of WL stretched in late 2012. Right now I am at SL (natural and unstretched).

Last edited:

loulou82

I do think the length goal has shifted. When I first joined (as a relaxed head hoping to eventually reach APL), BSL was THE big goal. Now, it's all about WL for many. I've changed my goal to WL (stretched) also. A lot of us have been here for years and re-evaluated where we want to be.

Heck, I'll probably "grow" until I can't squeak out another inch!