It Burned My Scalp!

Ipanema

I've been doing conditioner washes lately with good results, but my hair was starting to lose sheen, so I decided to clarify. Well, I've heard of using baking soda if you're trying to do a no-poo routine. I mixed about 4 teaspoons of baking soda with a dollop of VO5 Strawberries & Cream, and applied it to my hair, rubbing it in like I would normally do with a conditioner. Well, not only did the baking soda burn my scalp, but it wouldn't completely rinse out--even after I no-pooed twice! My hair had a whitish cast to it & felt gritty after rinsing. I ended up having to use shampoo to get the mess out of my hair & stop the burning sensation on my scalp. I don't know if I applied it wrong or what, but I'm going to have to find something else to clarifty with. Has this happened to anyone else? Was the baking soda supposed to be applied differently?

Kaela

I'm sorry that happened to you...I wondered how people used it because I figured it be difficult to rinse out.

*bumping to see how others do it

SVT

Oh no!

I think you may have used too much soda.

I use a small spray bottle (4 oz?) to combine water and .25 to .5 teaspoon of soda. I spray that onto my scalp by parting my hair then massage as if I were using regular shampoo. My purpose for the baking soda is to cleanse my scalp. I haven't experienced any burning sensations.

Hopefully, this mishap hasn't caused any permanent damage to your hair or scalp. Keep us posted.