Jam: Friend or Foe?

MissFallon

I purchased some Jam gel yesterday and wondered if anyone else uses it? Do you think it will be ok for my hair or does it dry the hair out? I am looking for a gel that keeps my hair down. Right now I use the IC Fantasia Hair Polisher Styling Gel. It works really well and has no mineral oil or alcohol. My mom uses the JAM and Im thinking about switching, do you think the Jam will hurt my hair (make it hard and dry) or should it be ok?:confused:

It doesn't make your hair hard or dry...it can be moisturizing almost greasy kinda. It has decent hold...it is similar to Fantasia's Ice Pomade if you have ever used that...

It won't make your hair hard or dry. After a while it does kind of melt though and become greasy. It'll run down your forehead. I switched to QP Glaze and I like that a lot better.

it's very greasy, worse than crisco, in the summer it runs on your face, doesn't matter if you use a little or a lot it's very greasy

Lets jam is greasy and runs no matter how little I use, especially in the summer. I prefer Alterna pomades or IC Fantasia Gel.

Lets Jam is alright, I thought I liked it at first but I don't now it's too greasy.

I always have a bottle of jam around. I don't use it everday but it has its place and purpose. It does keep my hair slicked back when I need to have it that way.It doesn't dry out or get hard and I never experienced it greasing up or leaking. The last time I used it it was in 90 degree Augusta, GA heat and it was just fine.

I use Jam and it doesn't make ur hair hard. Wow, I never had it run down my face, I like the EXTRA HOLD. I like it waaaay betta than Glaze...Glaze made my hair feel like an oil slick after a while.

I stopped using jam a long time ago. I recently started using the Aveda Humectant pomade. It's very expensive (around $23.00). So lately I've been using the Sally's knock-off brand. I think it's called Aurora. Ask at Sally's...they'll know. It's great at slicking the hair down and costs only $5.99 apposed to $23.00 bucks. The smell is great too. HTH.

Tanji said:
I stopped using jam a long time ago. I recently started using the Aveda Humectant pomade. It's very expensive (around $23.00). So lately I've been using the Sally's knock-off brand. I think it's called Aurora. Ask at Sally's...they'll know. It's great at slicking the hair down and costs only $5.99 apposed to $23.00 bucks. The smell is great too. HTH.

You use the humectant or the anti-humectant pomade? I was interested in using the anti-humectant but my BSS ran out.

Let’s Jam! is a “friendly foe”: you have to know what you’re getting into and decide if it’s worth the compromise.

As several ladies have stated, it can be very oily (like, cooking oil greasy :lol: ), and the build up is atrocious (it’ll make you say “yuck!” and leave a mess on your hands if you touch your hair). It does not make the hair hard, so it is not for gravity-defying hairstyles. It’s best reserved for slicking the hair back in a pony tail, really.

The best use I’ve found for Jam is applying about a dime size to my edges while my hair is damp to hold them in place with a scarf while air drying. When my hair is dry, the edges are smooth and moisturized.....very useful when I have a lot of new growth. I occasionally use it for the phony-pony styles on rainy days. Other than that, there are better pomades on the market.

I guess my hair doesn't like jam (extra hold). It made it dry. I need to find something to do with it to make useful.

I do own Aveda Humectant too. But I only use it on my hair after straightening.

[SIZE=+0]This is the product that I was talking about...the Sally's knock off of Aveda's $23.00 jar. I just went on their website and unfortunately, they said that it's discontinued. What a shame, I really, really liked this stuff and loved the $5.99 pricetag. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]----------------------------[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Aura Radiant Humectant Pomade
(Discontinued)
[/SIZE]
623492.jpg
By: Naturelle

Sally Item #: 623492
An auromatherapy styling and conditioning pomade.
Size: 4 oz
Hair that gets noticed shines! Create a shiny, healthy, textured look with Aura Radiant Humectant Pomade.
Adds moisture to dry, overworked hair
Lavender gives hair a brilliant look and shine
Intensifies texture, definition and curl

Usage Tips
Want that adorable look of a Shag? Comb Radiant Humectant Pomade through damp hair, and blow-dry using a round brush and your fingers to create an “uncombed” appearance.

I use it whenever I wear my hair curly. I smooth my edges down with it. All day I feel the tickle of it warming up and running a little bit. And yes, if you touch where its applied you'll get a little surprise. BUT I really like it because it doesn't make my hair hard or dried out. I am willing to compromise since it really works for me.

Friend, I have never had any dryness from Jam, maybe a little greasy. I also never heard of it running down anyones forehead, atleast not mine or anyone else I use it on. I like it for the edges of updo's/ponytails, flat-twist, and french braids. A little goes along way...

Back