Jehovah Witness In My Family...Trying to Convert Us At Every Turn..Help!

TrustMeLove

Ok.....I was going to try to keep this in my IRL Christian circle....but I know that I can get some good advice here on the boards too and I'm sure a couple folks to send up a prayer...who might read this and not post. That's a lot of prayers outside of my circle...that I need.

So here is the situation.

My Uncle is a Jehovah Witness. This was my fav...uncle growing up. We were tight. I'm talking about pick me up take me to work with him spend 3 out of 7 days together when I was a little girl. Anyways, folks in my family are either practicing Christians and folks who don't practice. He is the one person who believes something totally different.

We love him and he is apart of the family. No issues. We don't bring up his JW status or act differently with him none of that stuff.. It's all love.

Anyways I hadn't seen him in like 15 years and now have been around him for maybe 3 years. He went away for a long time.

Now, I'm sure many of you talk about God everyday. It just comes up...Jesus comes up in a Christian persons life. We might quote a verse...talk about a blessing...talk about a trial..Say something spiritual...it's just what life is for you..you know...

Well, when we do this around my Uncle he always wants to add something about Kingdom Hall or what WE need to do...or what the BIBLE REALLY SAYS. For some reason he is on a mission to convert the family.

I told him that he is my Uncle and I love him but it's best that we stay away from these topics because we will ALWAYS come to blows. I don't want EVERY family get together to be about him trying to convert the family and us battling over the scriptures and what they really say. I rather our get togethers not be bloody. He just kept talking...I changed the subject....HE KEPT TALKING...

I finally just told him...in a simple voice. We have talked about the scriptures before on many occassions...I believe that if Christ has called you..you will come. I don't have to try to convert you as you are trying to convert me...that's not my job..my job is to live my life and let my light shine. God does the calling...

I think it's time that I finally told you straight up that you belong to a cult. You are not serving the God of Jacob, Issac, nor Abraham. We cannot discuss the bible because you aren't reading the bible. Nothing that you say even if you quote something from the Bible is valid to me because you aren't serving God and don't believe that Jesus is God and the Christ. I would really like for us not to go to blows everytime you come around. You believe something totally different than what we believe. There is NO common ground. There is no bridge from my side to your side. Please stop the bashing of your religion on to us..PLEASE STOP!

He kept talking....about what we really need to know blah blha and how Kingdom Hall is better than Church blah blah. He laughs it off...but I'm getting really frustrated.

What can I do? Honestly...I haven't even said what I really feel. I was tame with my words. I just don't want everytime we spend time as a family which is MANY times a month for him to speak these words over us. It's like evil words to me being spoken to us...It sets my bones on fire.

This past Friday was horrible...I lost it. I just said BE QUIET. I REBUKE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY IN THE NAME OF JESUS! BE QUIET BE QUIET BE QUIET.

It's like having to sit in a place and someone speaking AGAINST JESUS and you are semi stuck...I don't know what to do. I know there is a better way to handle this so please HELP. Ladies what wisdom do you all have to share?

HeChangedMyName

maybe some of the more seasoned saints will come in with scripture. there is tons of scripture that you can arm yourself with that will dispute anything he has to say about who God is and who Jesus is.

One thing that I was taught was that if you are not fully prepared, then don't even engage in trying to rationalize the difference between the beliefs of JW's and Christians. The argument will go on forever and you will just end up with a major headache, and perhaps even some people walk away actually questioning their faith as a saved Christian.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Ignore him and don't even let it bother you. My mom is always trying to get me to come " back" ( JW) and I say ok and keep it moving. She knows that isn't a interest for me but she keeps trying. You can't stop people from trying unless you cut him off.

TrustMeLove

maybe some of the more seasoned saints will come in with scripture. there is tons of scripture that you can arm yourself with that will dispute anything he has to say about who God is and who Jesus is.

One thing that I was taught was that if you are not fully prepared, then don't even engage in trying to rationalize the difference between the beliefs of JW's and Christians. The argument will go on forever and you will just end up with a major headache, and perhaps even some people walk away actually questioning their faith as a saved Christian.

God has had to teach me how to SHUT UP! I am prepared to battle. I'M A SOLDIER. I don't mind blood. I don't mind going toe to toe for hours. I'm cut throat....I leave NO false doctrine alive....but, I was causing major damage to the kingdom.

God is in the process of teaching me how to dispute in love and how to SHUT UP! I am actually much better than I was before. I will make my case than keep it moving on many occassions.

My problem is...is that this is FAMILY and at EVERY get together he wants to battle. He wouldn't mind taking up our time as family (me spending good quality time with my other family members) DEBATING his religious beliefs and stuff about Jesus. I don't want to spend my family time like that....I mean the first dozen times..OK, but now it's been 3 years later....I'm tired and at the point where I can't take these evil lies being spoken over us at every turn.

HeChangedMyName

God has had to teach me how to SHUT UP! I am prepared to battle. I'M A SOLDIER. I don't mind blood. I don't mind going toe to toe for hours. I'm cut throat....I leave NO false doctrine alive....but, I was causing major damage to the kingdom.

God is in the process of teaching me how to dispute in love and how to SHUT UP! I am actually much better than I was before. I will make my case than keep it moving on many occassions.

My problem is...is that this is FAMILY and at EVERY get together he wants to battle. He wouldn't mind taking up our time as family (me spending good quality time with my other family members) DEBATING his religious beliefs and stuff about Jesus. I don't want to spend my family time like that....I mean the first dozen times..OK, but now it's been 3 years later....I'm tired and at the point where I can't take these evil lies being spoken over us at every turn.

gon' ahead now soldier. lol . If you start changing the subject, and agreeing to disagree with him, then he wouldn't have a choice but to let it go. You can pray for him all day and night and that's fine, but if you just love him and don't engage in discussions pertaining to conversion.

TrustMeLove

Ignore him and don't even let it bother you. My mom is always trying to get me to come " back" ( JW) and I say ok and keep it moving. She knows that isn't a interest for me but she keeps trying. You can't stop people from trying unless you cut him off.

I worry about my family too. My Aunt's are ministers and one of them will go there with him. The other will let him just speak that foolishness over her and her children. I'm like these children (they are 18-20..I'm 25) are susceptible to this foolishness....they listen to him...And they don't know their word that well either...so the things he says might sound reasonable.

It just really bothers me that they sit up under this foolishness. They take up most of my prayer list.

I try to keep my lil brother away from him. He likes to take the kids out on outings..I don't know what he is saying to them while out. :nono:

TrustMeLove

gon' ahead now soldier. lol . If you start changing the subject, and agreeing to disagree with him, then he wouldn't have a choice but to let it go. You can pray for him all day and night and that's fine, but if you just love him and don't engage in discussions pertaining to conversion.

I have started walking out of rooms when he gets to talking. If my brother is with me I take him with me too.

I would hate for that to be the road. Because I am good for cutting folks off. I can do that really well. I find that to be one of my bad qualities though...:perplexed

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hi, TrustMeLove,

I have a cousin who is a JW, but I've never had your experience... She and I have different beliefs and we left it at that. One thing I've learned from her, though, is everything she says is what "the Kingdom says" or according to the WatchTower and never what she believes or thinks.

It's unfortunate that your uncle's frustrating you like that, but I think a good way to discontinue feeling this way is to avoid debating with him and instead talk with him. He'll use certain doctrines and verses that he's well-versed in, for sure, as most JW are trained to do. Rebuking him only draws laughter from him because he feels he's got the advantage in debating using his WatchTower techniques.

I think if you can get personal with him and ask him stuff like what are the advantages of being a JW, from his personal experience, he'll be more challenged. Or you could always go tete a tete with him on your own beliefs..when he talks about God, you could talk about God and his goodness. When he talks about Jesus, you could talk about your personal relationship with Jesus. You're not telling him what he is saying is wrong but instead are letting him know how strong your faith/belief is. He will end up being the frustrated one... ;)

TrustMeLove

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've talked about how strong my belief is in Christ. Why I believe what I believe and my experiences with Christ. It's looking more and more like he might be cut off. Or everytime he starts to talking I am my brother will be leaving the room.

We are always telling those personal stories about Christ when we are together..well my Aunt's and I. Y'all know...it's like Testimony service when we come together. hahahahaha. That's when he jumps in with his well we learn in Kingdom Hall that blah blah blha...or someone in Kingdom hall talked about them moving from your beliefs to mine...I'm like well I've met X number of people that have that same story about being set free from your beliefs. SMH. What does that have to do with what WE are talking about?

I will continue to pray on my nextmove...hopefully I won't have to make any move. But, I will be open to receiving what God has to say regarding this situation.

Nice & Wavy

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've talked about how strong my belief is in Christ. Why I believe what I believe and my experiences with Christ. It's looking more and more like he might be cut off. Or everytime he starts to talking I am my brother will be leaving the room.

We are always telling those personal stories about Christ when we are together..well my Aunt's and I. Y'all know...it's like Testimony service when we come together. hahahahaha. That's when he jumps in with his well we learn in Kingdom Hall that blah blah blha...or someone in Kingdom hall talked about them moving from your beliefs to mine...I'm like well I've met X number of people that have that same story about being set free from your beliefs. SMH. What does that have to do with what WE are talking about?

I will continue to pray on my nextmove...hopefully I won't have to make any move. But, I will be open to receiving what God has to say regarding this situation.
Don't cut him off...this is good ground for you and an opportunity for him to truly get to know the 'truth'. My suggestion....ask the Holy Spirit to give you what you need to say to him...at every turn. He is faithful and will teach you everything you need to know.

Look past him and see what's in operation in the spirit realm...then react to the spirit with the Word (with a peaceable spirit) and then respond to him with the Word of salvation and deliverance. Laela was sooooo correct with her suggestions to you:yep:

You can do it sis...I know you can.

TrustMeLove

Don't cut him off...this is good ground for you and an opportunity for him to truly get to know the 'truth'. My suggestion....ask the Holy Spirit to give you what you need to say to him...at every turn. He is faithful and will teach you everything you need to know.

Look past him and see what's in operation in the spirit realm...then react to the spirit with the Word (with a peaceable spirit) and then respond to him with the Word of salvation and deliverance. Laela was sooooo correct with her suggestions to you:yep:

You can do it sis...I know you can.

I think that's the problem. I want an answer to shut him up. I don't want to do anything.:nono: I'm use to battling in the world, but in my family and friend circle we are usually all on 1 accord. I am at peace ..I'm relaxed and comfortable. He has a spirit and everytime he comes around it irritates me and I don't want to fight...because I'm in a confused state of being with like minded folks and wanting to chill and having my spiritual guard up for battle. It's like a warrior fully dressed to the nines going to the family reunion....Two different mindsets. And while around him I'm in both so it's stressful. I hope it's clear what I am trying to say...

But, praise God. Because I will be re-reading my book on JW's and CHristians and probably picking up another book. I will be sensitive to the spirit and I'm good for ignoring someone and good for going toe to toe.

It's whatever. I see me coming out on the other side Victorious!

Nice & Wavy

I think that's the problem. I want an answer to shut him up. I don't want to do anything.:nono: I'm use to battling in the world, but in my family and friend circle we are usually all on 1 accord. I am at peace ..I'm relaxed and comfortable. He has a spirit and everytime he comes around it irritates me and I don't want to fight...because I'm in a confused state of being with like minded folks and wanting to chill and having my spiritual guard up for battle. It's like a warrior fully dressed to the nines going to the family reunion....Two different mindsets. And while around him I'm in both so it's stressful. I hope it's clear what I am trying to say...

But, praise God. Because I will be re-reading my book on JW's and CHristians and probably picking up another book. I will be sensitive to the spirit and I'm good for ignoring someone and good for going toe to toe.

It's whatever. I see me coming out on the other side Victorious!
This might be God's way of maturing you, sis. I know you want to see your uncle come out on the otherside with you, victorious...I know you do.

Everything isn't going to be a-ok with our family sometimes, and that's the time to look past the person and think about his salvation...if he were to pass on...would he be in the face of the Almighty?

Praying for you....

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

What can I do? Honestly...I haven't even said what I really feel. I was tame with my words. I just don't want everytime we spend time as a family which is MANY times a month for him to speak these words over us. It's like evil words to me being spoken to us...It sets my bones on fire.

This past Friday was horrible...I lost it. I just said BE QUIET. I REBUKE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY IN THE NAME OF JESUS! BE QUIET BE QUIET BE QUIET.

It's like having to sit in a place and someone speaking AGAINST JESUS and you are semi stuck...I don't know what to do. I know there is a better way to handle this so please HELP. Ladies what wisdom do you all have to share?

OMG I feel horribly for you!!!!! Can you just take Jesus' example in silence? You already told him you are folllowing the Jesus path...in your way. If he doesn't respect that, there's nothing you can say to change him since he's so intent upon proselytizing you. It must be irritating as hell (forgive the pun). But goodness gracious! Just tell him you're very content and show him. Don't let him get you into an argument. That's seemingly the only way people use to proselytize others...through anger and attempting to instill fear. :nono: You definitely have my prayers.

TrustMeLove

This might be God's way of maturing you, sis. I know you want to see your uncle come out on the otherside with you, victorious...I know you do.

Everything isn't going to be a-ok with our family sometimes, and that's the time to look past the person and think about his salvation...if he were to pass on...would he be in the face of the Almighty?

Praying for you....

I believe that might be it too. Taking me to another level spiritually. I want my Uncle to be saved too. I guess I always look at that as something that God does. I'm not kicking him to the curb as a lost cause, but I honestly believe God will do the calling and we can help with the nurturing.I believe in evangelism too...definitely...:yep:

But, I believe in God starting that spark in the spirit..it all starts in the spirit. I was in church this Sunday (not my church) and this guy walked in and set in front of me...this church is pretty chill jeans whatever.. So he fit right in and he asked me who I was here with I told him no one..I just came to this church because it's up the street from my house. He said me too...that's when it clicked that he just walked in off the street. He was probably walking to the homies house...or just out there chilling..This is a multi cultural church pretty large in the HOOD!

Talk about the Lord doing the calling...I was just there being friendly with the guy etc...trying to be cool..even though I'm a dork. lol Eventually, he left but I can tell that he did enjoy it a bit and I prayed that he would eventually return. I did the best nurturing I could in those 30 minutes..hahaha...but he was called. And that just gets me excited in the Lord...He will call you.

I can't get anyone saved. I feel like that's not my place nor my job. It all happens in the Spirit. It's his spirit that really irritates me...it sets my bones on fire. I am ready to battle always in his presence. I'm not trying to dismiss the man, but he needs that spark. He just has a serious deep deep demonic spirit. A serious hold. I guess I've never had to battle spirits this deep with my family so it's weird and confusing.

It's looking like I will have to set the fact this is my family member aside and focus on the spirit that is there...Sometimes silence is in order and sometimes teaching is in order.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

I believe that might be it too. Taking me to another level spiritually. I want my Uncle to be saved too. I guess I always look at that as something that God does. I'm not kicking him to the curb as a lost cause, but I honestly believe God will do the calling and we can help with the nurturing.I believe in evangelism too...definitely...:yep:

But, I believe in God starting that spark in the spirit..it all starts in the spirit. I was in church this Sunday (not my church) and this guy walked in and set in front of me...this church is pretty chill jeans whatever.. So he fit right in and he asked me who I was here with I told him no one..I just came to this church because it's up the street from my house. He said me too...that's when it clicked that he just walked in off the street. He was probably walking to the homies house...or just out there chilling..This is a multi cultural church pretty large in the HOOD!

Talk about the Lord doing the calling...I was just there being friendly with the guy etc...trying to be cool..even though I'm a dork. lol Eventually, he left but I can tell that he did enjoy it a bit and I prayed that he would eventually return. I did the best nurturing I could in those 30 minutes..hahaha...but he was called. And that just gets me excited in the Lord...He will call you.

I can't get anyone saved. I feel like that's not my place nor my job. It all happens in the Spirit. It's his spirit that really irritates me...it sets my bones on fire. I am ready to battle always in his presence. I'm not trying to dismiss the man, but he needs that spark. He just has a serious deep deep demonic spirit. A serious hold. I guess I've never had to battle spirits this deep with my family so it's weird and confusing.

It's looking like I will have to set the fact this is my family member aside and focus on the spirit that is there...Sometimes silence is in order and sometimes teaching is in order.
Ok....have a great rest of the day, sis!

ceedeelight

I really don't have much to say but when I read your initial post, the Holy Spirit led me to this scripture. I will be praying for you and that the Holy Spirit guides you.

Proverbs 20:3:
It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.

momi

I love your heart girl! "Im a soldier" - that is what im talking about. Too many of us are weak and not unprepared. I would suggest like many others have - that you equip yourself with knowledge about the JW faith. Its history has enough holes in it to hush anyone up. Pray, know your facts, speak and hush when the Holy Spirit directs you too. Let God complete the work!

On my bookshelf I have "Fast facts on false teachings, and Kingdom of the Cults". These are two excellent refrences - as a matter of fact mine are dusty and I am a bit rusty. Your post has given me a reason to pull them out.

Be strong in the Lord and the power of His might! Ephesians 6:10

mamaore

Everyone's comment has been great.

This is not your battle, but the Lord's and he will fight it.

You also probably need to start taking authority over the spirit talking through him to cause confusion through false doctrine.

Deal with the spirit behind it, the argumentative and antagonistic spirit, and then walk in love towards your uncle.

My personal attitude with people that argue the issue of faith is to just limit our discussions around that. For me there is no advantage to such arguments, if one is not careful, it may be a trap of the enemy to sow seeds of strife and contention.

Off Topic
I was so ignorant for so long on the JW thing, I actually allowed them to speak with me, though I never allowed their words to take root in my heart. Recently I saw through 1st John that "he that does not receive Jesus does not receive the Father". It just dawned on me that, these JW folks are seriously in deceit.

Laela

I apologize.. I didn't realize how deep this was for you. If you feel your heart racing/thumping or you feel "easily agitated or excited" whenever your uncle's around, your spirit truly is troubled, and wherever you two are will become a spiritual battleground. Your uncle isn't the problem, of course. It's that spirit(s), which seem to be there to test your faith and challenge you every time and/or to keep your uncle from hearing God's Word. For our warfare is not carnal. I'm glad that you see that.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the support of other believers, to stand in agreement with me on this battle. Victory is yours, and I claim it for you in Jesus' Name! No weapon formed against you will prosper....

but the Devil won't attack or bother with those he has on lock or under his power! Your faith will outlast this attack.

It's his spirit that really irritates me...it sets my bones on fire. I am ready to battle always in his presence. I'm not trying to dismiss the man, but he needs that spark. He just has a serious deep deep demonic spirit. A serious hold. I guess I've never had to battle spirits this deep with my family so it's weird and confusing.

divya

Interesting. Honestly, there seems to be misunderstanding on both sides.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are Christians, not another religion. Christians believe that believing in Jesus Christ is the key to salvation. That is a core tenet of the JW faith.

Beyond that, it seems like your uncle would like to share his faith but fails to go about it in a more positive way. His statements come off somewhat condescending, which can be a challenge for others. However, calling JWs a cult, claiming that someone is not reading the Bible, or that they don’t believe the Jesus is Christ…or that because of doctrinal differences that nothing he may quote from the Bible can possibly be valid is just as unfair as his statements.

May God bless your familial relationship.

TrustMeLove

Jehovah’s Witnesses are Christians, not another religion. Christians believe that believing in Jesus Christ is the key to salvation. That is a core tenet of the JW faith.

Beyond that, it seems like your uncle would like to share his faith but fails to go about it in a more positive way. His statements come off somewhat condescending, which can be a challenge for others. However, calling JWs a cult, claiming that someone is not reading the Bible, or that they don’t believe the Jesus is Christ…or that because of doctrinal differences that nothing he may quote from the Bible can possibly be valid is just as unfair as his statements.

Thank you for taking time out to write this post. That was really thoughtful.

I don't agree with anything you have said, but I did want to acknowledge and thank you for the well wishes you sent my for my family and I. :yep: :bighug:

varaneka

check out this link http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:UsyzM5aycFEJ:www.outofthecocoon.net/pdf/AreJehovahsWitnessesaCult.pdf+Answering+Jehovah%E2%80%99s+Witnesses+Norman+Geisler&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's an excerpt:

About the time the members adopted their new name, “Jehovah’s Witnesses,” TIME magazine printed
an article called, "California Cults" dated March 31, 1930, wherein they discuss the Watchtower’s then
president, “Judge” Joseph Rutherford, and his lavish living arrangements during a time when the rest of
the country was experiencing a great depression.
In a cult, it’s easy to get in and hard to get out, without feeling the residual effects of a lifetime of
damage. Cults, insidious and methodical, seemingly inject a poison into the member that dissolves away
the person that friends and family once knew.
Fortunately, it’s never too late to leave a toxic organization and get healthy. There are hundreds of
recovery websites on the internet for “survivors” of cults. Many of these are listed in the links section of
my website, and I personally answer every email I receive to ensure that people receive the help and
resources they need. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need assistance finding
your way Out of the Cocoon.

varaneka

http://bsalert.com/artsearch.php?fn=2&as=1829&dt=1

there's another link

"Are you bothered by evangelizing JWs who keep coming to your door? Heres a peaceful and non-hostile way to get your address on their do not knock list, and never be bothered by them again. Telling them that youre a Christian already, or a Mormon, a Jew, or even a Satanist doesnt work. They get fired up with the holy zeal of conversion.

Simply say, I was a Jehovahs Witness myself; in fact, I was a Special Pioneer before I was disfellowshipped. Say that to a JW and theyll never come back.

Using the right jargon is crucial. Full-time door-to-door workers are called Regular Pioneers. Full-time door-knockers who have stricter quotas are called Special Pioneers. The door-to-door work is called the Service, and anyone who rejects the JW message is called a goat.

JWs can be disfellowshipped for many different reasons, including speaking to a disfellowshipped Witness, celebrating Christmas, reciting the pledge of allegiance, joining the military, or running for political office. Fellow members are then required to shun him or her completely, having no contact even if the disfellowshipped person is a family member. One former elder was even excommunicated for speaking out on sexual abuse."

varaneka

and another link ;)

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?keyword=jehovah's witness&entiresite=true

Found the following sermon titles | more..

• Evangelism of the Jehovah's Witness • Paul Washer | Christ Campaign
• The Son of God in Glory Part 3 and 4 & Evangelism of... • Paul Washer
• Witnessing To Jehovah's Witnesses • Rev. Ian Goligher | Cloverdale Free Presbyterian
• Witnessing to Jehovah's Witnesses p1 • Various Speakers | Underground Christian Network
• Refuting the Jehovah's Witnesses • Dr. Phil Fernandes | Institute of Biblical Defense
• Jehovah's Witness - The Persistent Cult • Dr. John Douglas | Lisburn Free Presbyterian
• Witnessing to Jehovah's Witnesses (part 2) • Various Speakers | Underground Christian Network
• Jehovah's Witnesses Exposed! (Part 1) • Scott A. Johnson | Scott A. Johnson
• X Jehovah Witness Speaks • Dr. James M. Phillips | Discover The Word Ministry
• What Do Jehovah Witnesses Believe • Jess Stanfield | Zion Presbyterian Church

Laela

Divya,

(for the sake of discussion)
That's what has always gotten me with JW. How can Jesus be the key to salvation if he's not believed to be God in the flesh?? The JW faith is that Jesus was God's first creation and that he is not part of the Godhead but God incarnate. Since he is God incarnate (embodied), then doesn't this make God??

And, where in the Bible does it say that Jesus is God's first creation?

The verses most used in the JW faith to support this belief (Col 1:15 and Rev 3:14) actually supports more that there is a Trinity -- that Jesus was there before man's creation (Yesterday, today and tomorrow).

HWAY

JWs believe Jesus is Christ and they do read their version of the bible. They definitely consider themselves to be christians and engage in an evangelizing work. They believe God created Jesus and Jesus created all other creation. JWs believe Jesus was sent to reconcile man back to God and strive to be like Jesus.

Never tell a JW you are a disfellowshipped JW because they will avoid discussing spiritual matters with you. If your aim is to gain your brother or sister, you will miss out and if the JW discovers your lie, you will be embarassed as a christian.