Jehovah Witnesses

Prudent1

Hi Ellis! Here is a link to a former thread on JW. There have been a lot of posts on this subject. There are huge differences in JW beliefs and evangelical beliefs from my understanding and conversations with the JW I know. Do a search here w/i the forum on JW. Do a search in google or somewhere to list the core beliefs of each faith. Then pray and ask God for wisdom and discernment. He enlightens.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.php/t-374157.html

Kinkyhairlady

Ellis you seem to already have negative perceptions about JW, so why would you want to go to your friend's church retreat? Maybe she has picked up on your negative feeling and does not want her beliefs to be judged by you.

I do not have a negative perception about Jehovah's witnesses, I know little about them but I know we all believe in one God. It was not a retreat it was just a trip to tour NYC, so I don't see what the big deal was. I just wanted to go to NYC, I could careless what they would be talking about, cause I already have my own religion. I do believe she may have been fearful that I would look at her differently if I seen how she acts around them, that is a more logical explanation.

VelvetRain

Uh...they shouldn't. Christians in general should not, but it happens.

Exactly. That reminds me of the time I told my gynecologist I did not need a prescription for birth control because I was a Jehovah's Witness, wasn't married and and we didn't have premarital sex. She turned around and told me that that is not always the case because she has patients that were witnesses who were unmarried that did accept a prescription. That shut me up real quick.

tecourt

I do not have a negative perception about Jehovah's witnesses, I know little about them but I know we all believe in one God. It was not a retreat it was just a trip to tour NYC, so I don't see what the big deal was. I just wanted to go to NYC, I could careless what they would be talking about, cause I already have my own religion. I do believe she may have been fearful that I would look at her differently if I seen how she acts around them, that is a more logical explanation.
" I am sorry to say this but at times I think they come off as kind of a cult. Anyways that is the impression I get from my friend. "
The word cult has a very negative perception for most people.

HWAY

If the group travelled to NYC, they went to the world wide headquarters of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. It was similar to a retreat. That was one reason why you were not invited.

As was stated, premarital sex is frowned upon and you would have exposed her to her parents and the elders. When one lives a double life, one works very hard to prevent the two from meeting.

shinyblackhair

Exactly. That reminds me of the time I told my gynecologist I did not need a prescription for birth control because I was a Jehovah's Witness, wasn't married and and we didn't have premarital sex. She turned around and told me that that is not always the case because she has patients that were witnesses who were unmarried that did accept a prescription. That shut me up real quick.

Well, this is the thing. Without sounding like I'm bashing, I have a hard time understanding the JWs. I have a lot of them on my mom's side (my mom is not one though) and it's like they stick to the JW "rules" (don't do birthdays, Christmas, etc.), but in every other aspect of life they appear to be very secular (music, drinking alchohol, gambling etc.). I'm not saying all JWs are like this, however, the ones in my family kinda are...:perplexed

divya

Well, this is the thing. Without sounding like I'm bashing, I have a hard time understanding the JWs. I have a lot of them on my mom's side (my mom is not one though) and it's like they stick to the JW "rules" (don't do birthdays, Christmas, etc.), but in every other aspect of life they appear to be very secular (music, drinking alchohol, gambling etc.). I'm not saying all JWs are like this, however, the ones in my family kinda are...:perplexed

I kinda understand this...but then, you can find people like this is every branch of Christianity and every religion. Maybe that's why non-religious people say they have problem understanding those of us who are religious... :yep:

shinyblackhair

I kinda understand this...but then, you can find people like this is every branch of Christianity and every religion. Maybe that's why non-religious people say they have problem understanding those of us who are religious... :yep:

VERY good point. I hate to sound judgmental...I probably shouldn't have said what I said. Lord knows I'm not perfect. God forgive me.