jet black hair and light skin

Wow I guess I dont know what "light skinned" is anymore. I dont consider Beyonce light skinned but everyone else seems to :confused: To me she's just brown. I'm waaay lighter than her and I'm only "kinda" brown with a tan and only during the summer. My skin is closer to most white peoples than most blacks the rest of the year. I dyed my hair oriental black with bigen once to cover a *cough* dye job gone green and at first I was taken aback but it grew on me. I was relaxed with shoulder length hair then and I agree with the poster who said it looks better on straight hair, imo.

sprungonhairboards said:
Wow I guess I dont know what "light skinned" is anymore. I dont consider Beyonce light skinned but everyone else seems to :confused: To me she's just brown.

me too...i was reading this post confused, lol. her and michelle are almost the same shade and i don't consider michelle light-skinned at all. to me people like nicole ari parker and faith evans are light-skinned.

anyway, i like jet black hair on most people. it's beautiful.

I used a black rinse once and hated it on me. I looked like a witch. It was way too harsh of a look. My daughter, on the other hand, is extremely light and her hair is jet black and it looks good on her. Go figure.

I have that look currently, as does my sis and all my mexican american cousins. We all think we're lovely. I love light hair, but it doesn't come naturally for me, so I'm staying away from damaging hair dyes.

I'm about Beyonce's complexion and I've had both black hair and brown/blondish. I have to say, though I like both and personally I prefer the darkbrown/black look, most people preferred the honey brown/blond on me. They said that it complimented my skin tone best and the black was too harsh.

I'm light-skinned and have worn black hair for about a year and a half. Shiny black hair looks exotic, but I have come to the conclusion that those of us with warm undertones look more natural and youthful with warmer-colored hair. Mine was not blue-black, just what they call "natural" black. However, just tonight I used a color remover, "Uncolor" by Clairol which is available at Sally's. It did take some of the color out. I am going back with dark warm brown. I just could not deal with such a stark color contrast with my gray (actually my gray hair does not "gray"---it's pure white) roots! Eventually, I will lighten up and let my "gray" be the highlights as the semi-permanent or temporary color washes out. The gray strands always wash to a gold or red-gold. If you have a cool undertone, black should look great!

I LOVE the look. I have naturally jet black hair (people think I dye it). My skin has yellow undertones. I think the look adds to the "exotic" factor, esp. since my eyebrows are jet black as well.

It's funny b/c when I was younger I HATED my black hair and couldn't wait to color it, but now I think that it makes my look.

Last edited:
melodee said:
I have that look currently, as does my sis and all my mexican american cousins. We all think we're lovely. I love light hair, but it doesn't come naturally for me, so I'm staying away from damaging hair dyes.

Melodee, I think you look pretty with dark hair. It is a nice contrast to your skin complexion. I think some latinas look so beautiful with their black hair. I was so mad at JLO and Christina for going lighter.

I also think black hair looks good on dark skin too.

felicia said:
when i say light i mean around beyonce's skintone. good or bad idea? why?
Thanks
i dont see nothing wrong with jet black hair on light skin. there are several people in the world with dark hair and light skin. ;)

Love jet black hair! I have had several colors, but I always go back to black. It just looks better on me. Plus it covers gray perfectly. :)

My hair is naturally jet black, and I have red and yellow undertones. People love the color of my hair. I have just recently let my eyebrows grow back in black, I had bleached them to a brown color. I dont think the brown eyebrows looked natural on me.

ellennicole said:
I LOVE the look. I have naturally jet black hair (people think I dye it). My skin has yellow undertones. I think the look adds to the "exotic" factor, esp. since my eyebrows are jet black as well.

Jet black hair with tinted black eyebrows is my trademark. I am brown skinned and I get compliments all the time. I guess it is how you rock it and not what color you are. Black can look good on most people but light colors....well that's another story!

I love really black hair and most people can wear it exept for the really pale. I do hennalucent in bark brown (black on my hair) in the winter and red rinse in the summer. I don't know if I will do black this winter though.

I like the look, but I have trouble getting my eyebrows to look right. I have this eyebrow powder cake from Benefit and it has dark brown and black powder side by side. I usually use dark brown on my brows, but compared to my recently Bigen #59 haircolor, my brows look medium brown, so now I don't know what to do with my brows. I think they say black brows are too harsh on anyone, no matter your hair or skin color, but at the same time, I think your brows are supposed to be DARKER than your hair. :sigh:

I think it looks nice too! My little sister is very fair skinned and dyes her hair jet black, and it looks REAL nice. Jet black looks great on most folks, i think, regardless of complexion.

I tried it. It's in the pic in my siggy. I think I like myself with a lighter color. I love how jet black retains shine. It's always glossy.

missvi said:
I'm light with jet black hair and I love it.

me too, i use 'jet black' by dark & lovely...even though its really dark, I know after I shampoo again, it removes the color buildup still on my head and it looks nice. I like 'natural black' too when its warm outside

Last edited:
I love the look too! I would love to try it someday, but MAD ppl are telling me not to :confused: . My complexion is pretty close to TSUprincess' so I think it could work on me.

BTW - TSUprincess...your hair is ALWAYS lovely! I just adore your color and the style :grin:

I have always wanted to try jet black hair, but so many people have told me noooo! to keep your natural hair color but right now I want a change so bad....black or red hair something at least for the spring/summer:ohwell: ....I do not want anything perimanent I guess this is why I never do it... PLEASE Help me!:confused:

OneInAMillion said:
I love the look too! I would love to try it someday, but MAD ppl are telling me not to :confused: . My complexion is pretty close to TSUprincess' so I think it could work on me.

BTW - TSUprincess...your hair is ALWAYS lovely! I just adore your color and the style :grin:

Thank you!

People kept telling me that black was too dark on me and that I should go blonde :perplexed.

I think you should try the black, though. It would look great with all of that long, thick hair you have!

Back