Joico - The REAL Deal!

PinkPebbles

I know this sounds corny, but I really have to thank you all for this thread. I just took my braids out today (which I've had in for more than 2 and a half months) and went to a local beauty supply store. All because of seeing this thread earlier this morning I was all set to purchase the regular Joico, when even one of the cashiers recommended K-PAK reconstruct! (She had great advice, too... perhaps she's Nikos's cousin???) It turned out that her daughter has the same hair texture as I do and she felt that this would be much better for me where I'm at right now. I am about to shampoo and then use the K-Pak this evening.

Thanks again, ladies! It was nice of the OP to start this thread and give the heads up about it, otherwise I would have never known because I had never heard of Joico until today. :love2: If need be I'll bump the thread and let you know what my experience was.

In the bolded reminds me of my experience. A year and 1/2 ago I went into Trade Secrets looking for a moisturizing DC and the sales clerk recommended the K-PAK to me. I was a little leery b/c I've never heard of it before but when I tried it felt like I hit the Jack pot!

Artemis

Okay fine haired one...what would your recs be from the Kpak line?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

*will wait..*

Um...the entire line :lol: I have the whole line except for the hairspray.

This makes a good foundation and any other products you get from the line can just be bonus yummy goodness :lick:

For k-pak basics:
1. shampoo
2. conditioner
3. liquid reconstructor
4. protect & shine serum
5. intense hydrator*

*I hesitate to include the intense hydrator on the list because my hair can easily OD on moisture. But if this isn't the case w/you then go for it.

Every thing I have read (and I even went to this board's archives and some other books out there) says that fine hair (especially chemically-treated fine hair) best benefits from either a balanced deep conditioner (meaning it's moisturizing but it's got enough protein to strengthen the hair) or regular (more frequent) and consistent protein treatments. Strength (balance w/ moisture) should be our focus, cuz.:yep: We just have to remember not to OD on either one. I just remind myself the goal is "soft yet strong"...

**For the weekly deep conditioner, I am actually using PM Hair Repair, but that's another thread. :look:

TBH a fine haired chick may or may not need the regular reconstructor. The liquid was designed for us, as it does not weigh the hair down but is comparable to the original. It's still awesome to keep on hand though. :grin:

Last edited:

Artemis

If you can help it, don't buy the generic! Get the REAL DEAL...LOL.

K-PAK Reconstruct is a protein treatment. If you are going through a dry spell I would recommend the K-PAK Moisture Intense Hydrator as a DC.

Please! Don't do generic. Save up if you have to. It is not the same.

Gemini350z

I bought the Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo also. Girl, spent some money yesterday! I tried it yesterday morning, and it worked great!
Glad they worked great for you. At least you know the products will last you a long time, and you got them during the current sale!!..

I always stock up during their sales.

Tee

I saw the title and new I would find my 'peeps' in here. Waves at Gym and Artemis!!

MonaLisa....I am looking over at my K-Pak with you. :think:

RubyWoo

K-PAK Reconstruct is a protein treatment. If you are going through a dry spell I would recommend the K-PAK Moisture Intense Hydrator as a DC.

I agree completely! The price may seem high but you only need a little bit so it will last you a while. You do not need to use a lot for it to be effective. I started using Joico in June and I only use the reconstructor every 3-4 weeks. I know this tube is going to last me a long time.

MonaLisa

I saw the title and new I would find my 'peeps' in here. Waves at Gym and Artemis!!

MonaLisa....I am looking over at my K-Pak with you. :think:

I swear on my cat Tee --

Gym, Artemis and Brownie will send me RUNNING to start looking up ish...it's like ridiculous. They are like my fine hair research triumvirate :lol:

If anyone of them say something, I have to jot it down on the list.

My pj ways have pared down considerably, but I will laser focus on the stuff that is working or I think will work.

My hair really liked the moisture recovery and the body luxe. My ends love the split end mender (and the smell) - so I'm down.:yep:

MonaLisa

Um...the entire line :lol: I have the whole line except for the hairspray.

This makes a good foundation and any other products you get from the line can just be bonus yummy goodness :lick:

For k-pak basics:
1. shampoo
2. conditioner
3. liquid reconstructor
4. protect & shine serum
5. intense hydrator*

*I hesitate to include the intense hydrator on the list because my hair can easily OD on moisture. But if this isn't the case w/you then go for it.

Every thing I have read (and I even went to this board's archives and some other books out there) says that fine hair (especially chemically-treated fine hair) best benefits from either a balanced deep conditioner (meaning it's moisturizing but it's got enough protein to strengthen the hair) or regular (more frequent) and consistent protein treatments. Strength (balance w/ moisture) should be our focus, cuz.:yep: We just have to remember not to OD on either one. I just remind myself the goal is "soft yet strong"...

**For the weekly deep conditioner, I am actually using PM Hair Repair, but that's another thread. :look:

TBH a fine haired chick may or may not need the regular reconstructor. The liquid was designed for us, as it does not weigh the hair down but is comparable to the original. It's still awesome to keep on hand though. :grin:

I have just snatched this for the list!

:hug2: Thanks much my fine haired cous! Muaaaaaaaaaah!

gymfreak336

I agree completely! The price may seem high but you only need a little bit so it will last you a while. You do not need to use a lot for it to be effective. I started using Joico in June and I only use the reconstructor every 3-4 weeks. I know this tube is going to last me a long time.

:yep::yep:

I am finding that with my products of higher quality, I don't have to use nearly as much product.

HeChangedMyName

:yep::yep:

I am finding that with my products of higher quality, I don't have to use nearly as much product.

Thanks. it makes sense to buy the higher quality if it works and lasts. my money is funny though. I used it last night and my hair feels better(alive) if I see results from this, maybe then i will be willing to spring for the real deal---i've been burned in the past by jumping on a high priced bandwagon, only to find that the product wasn't good for me, so i bought the Generic just to test it out.---hope to have a testimony about it soon.

Artemis

I swear on my cat Tee --

Gym, Artemis and Brownie will send me RUNNING to start looking up ish...it's like ridiculous. They are like my fine hair research triumvirate :lol:

If anyone of them say something, I have to jot it down on the list.

My pj ways have pared down considerably, but I will laser focus on the stuff that is working or I think will work.

My hair really liked the moisture recovery and the body luxe. My ends love the split end mender (and the smell) - so I'm down.:yep:

Fine hair research triumvirate :lachen: Dang, Mona! It's like that?? :drunk:

I need to pull out my MR for a little while. I'm 'bout to color again real soon...Then I'll go right back to K-pak. PJism does pare down after Joico--the problem is that you buy everything in the Joico line like it's gonna sell out in 5 hrs. :spinning:

poookie

thanks for the reviews! i was in LOVE with the generic version of the KPak reconstructor... it felt AMAZING on my hair... so i guess the real deal might send me into a state of pure bliss! :lol:

poookie

Ok. Went out last night and bought the Moisture Recovery Balm, and the KPak Conditioner.

used the kpak after rinsing out relaxer; and used the recovery balm as a bit of a leave-in before blow-drying.

my hair feels SUPER healthy! i am in LOVE with joico!!!

gymfreak336

Ok. Went out last night and bought the Moisture Recovery Balm, and the KPak Conditioner.

used the kpak after rinsing out relaxer; and used the recovery balm as a bit of a leave-in before blow-drying.

my hair feels SUPER healthy! i am in LOVE with joico!!!

I use kpak stuff when I touchup and I can feel the difference. I use the reconstructor right after rinsing and I use the shampoo to start neutralizing.