Komaza Care HAIR ANALYSIS Service - Rave!

LaidBak

Had my first follow up call last night. Hair is looking better, no more mid strand splits. It took a while to arrange for the call as they are very backed up, but I didn't much care. The phone call and the photos were very informative.

faithVA

^^Hopefully they can get from under the pile in March. I should have my follow up sometime in March.

virtuenow

ETA: The updated thread w/pictures and results is here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=675865. My referral code is: 8whcPv

I just had my 5-month follow-up and it was UNBELEIVABLE.

History and Initial Analysis:

Reason and background:

I decided to use the service b/c although I've been working on my hair for years, I still have periods of extreme breakage and have never been able to successfully grow my hair out (without it immediately breaking off). My hair in the front and crown seemed they had stopped growing for a year.

I went under weaves for a full year following that and felt I had things under control. Coming in, I thought I finally had my moisture game in tact- as I was deep conditioning regularly and sealing w/water n oil-- my main routine. I was expecting this analysis to re-confirm that I was finally on the right track-- perhaps to offer some small tweaks.

First Consultation & Analysis:

NOT THE CASE. I had my initial analysis and consultation in August. I have not shared my results until now b/c I was too upset and inconsolable for about 2weeks after receiving these results. It was an all around bad report. Jenns first words to me were that my hair is "weak"..."fragile". She really dropped the bomb-- b/c I thought I had finally gained strength. See my post here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=16686481&postcount=451

Okay. Next, weak root. Excuse me? After all these years I put focus and everything into my hair and this is what it gives me: weak hair? damaged roots? It hurt to hear these words. But this is the kicker, I also had some miniature strands. Hair that is so small it's microscopic growing from my root.

Next, a review of each hair strand under the microscope revealed splits everywhere...midshaft, end shaft, bubble spots (heat splits), weak points, frayed ends. Every variety of split, you name it, I had it. Slide after slide of horrible hair. I was in tears. Jenn was like, "are you crying"??? I'm like, and I can barely talk, "yes, continue"...as I hear my fate.

I also have high porosity hair-- this is confirmed by slides that showed my cuticles are very raised and some even frayed. If you remember, I didn't know whether I was high or low porosity b/c for years my hair would never get wet. Also, I always thought my strands were thick, but Jenn said they are medium. Okay, I still think some are thick-- I've seen wires come out of my head. Anyway- back to the story.

I go on to explain to her that I recently started a wig journey in an effort to "hide my hair" (I never wear my hair anyway-- at this point for year and a half). I do have pain in my scalp and some sores- not sure why but I guess not that big a deal. It was getting worse and worse day by day so that I couldn't touch my scalp sometimes. She was concerned my follicles had become inflamed -- and this is why some of my roots are small and producing smaller and smaller hair.

Here's a couple of pictures to illustrate my experience:

Super split:

Ends frayed and split:

Midstrand heat bubble :you can see its the light line that goes up/down middle of strand

Sewing tear from an install (looks like needle went clean through):

Miniature strand :perplexed: it also had heat damage and bubble spot but I'm not attaching all the images:

Prognosis, Recommendations & Advice

Scalp:

First, Jenn was most concerned about the health of my scalp. She asked if I had any thinning...which I don't. Based on my description and the fact that I had some small roots, she felt I had folliculitis (inflammation of the follicles). Jenn had the perfect alternative treatment for that. She instructed me to immediately ditch the wigs. My scalp needed to breathe. Then advised me on different ointments for topical treatment (one version being an actual aloe vera leaf; and the other a special concoction). For internal, colloidal silver and astralagus were perfect.

Hair:

Based on everything, Jenn felt I had heat damagem some rips and tears from sew-ins, raised cuticles not properly holding/retaining moisture. Jenn advised that I should begin doing bi-weekly protein to strengthen my hair. I told her I already do weekly protein w/AO Gpb. She said that was not enough. I needed pure protein. She liked the fact that I lo-poo by diluting my shampoos in a color app bottle-- and that I focus on scalp cleansing. For a period I needed to shampoo scalp daily to rid of the folliculitis (about 2weeks).

Next, and very importantly, I was not using a leave-in. She stressed how important it was for me to add this step in and a sealant in. I needed jojoba or coconut oil to strengthen & seal my ends. Also, I should be spritzing my hair daily w/a moisture spritz. She encouraged the LCO [liquid, cream, oil] method (just not in those words) and how important daily moisture is.

Jenn gave nutrition recommendations very specific to me also. She liked my fitness routine, but felt I needeed to add a hair vitamin, continue daily vitamin, and add msm. There were some others, but these were the main ones; and also a good healty diet.

Despite my hair condition, Jenn was very hopeful and encouraging. I asked for recommendations on hair spritz, leave-ins, and oil sealant. I stopped using leave-in products b/c they never worked. She gave general recs, but since she was so knowledgeable I wanted recommendations specific to the Komaza Line. She suggested the Califia Moisture spritz, Califa leave-in, and Jojoba Hemp sealant. I also needed to cut a lot of hair.

I ran out immediately and made my purchases for hair vitamins, organic foods and good hair products. Also, I cut about 6-10 inches in the front and gradually less and less towards the back (about 1-2 inches). Also begin regular trims every 6-8weeks.

To be continued. This is going to be a long one; I can't do it all at once. will be back later today.

Last edited:

coyacoy

Had my first follow up call last night. Hair is looking better, no more mid strand splits. It took a while to arrange for the call as they are very backed up, but I didn't much care. The phone call and the photos were very informative.

Great news LaidBak!! Thx for sharing

faithVA

will be back later today[/U][/B].

:bighug: I had forgotten that you didn't feel up to sharing. I'm glad that you feel comfortable sharing now.

And I am hoping that this 5 month follow up is amazing and made you happy.

I will be waiting.

Hisbeloved

History and Initial Analysis:

Reason and background:

I decided to use the service b/c although I've been working on my hair for years, I still have periods of extreme breakage and have never been able to successfully grow my hair out (without it immediately breaking off). My hair in the front and crown seemed they had stopped growing for a year.

I went under weaves for a full year following that and felt I had things under control. Coming in, I thought I finally had my moisture game in tact- as I was deep conditioning regularly and sealing w/water n oil-- my main routine. I was expecting this analysis to re-confirm that I was finally on the right track-- perhaps to offer some small tweaks.

First Consultation & Analysis:

NOT THE CASE. I had my initial analysis and consultation in August. I have not shared my results until now b/c I was too upset and inconsolable for about 2weeks after receiving these results. It was an all around bad report. Jenns first words to me were that my hair is "weak"..."fragile". She really dropped the bomb-- b/c I thought I had finally gained strength. See my post here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=16686481&postcount=451

Okay. Next, weak root. Excuse me? After all these years I put focus and everything into my hair and this is what it gives me: weak hair? damaged roots? It hurt to hear these words. But this is the kicker, I also had some miniature strands. Hair that is so small it's microscopic growing from my root.

Next, a review of each hair strand under the microscope revealed splits everywhere...midshaft, end shaft, bubble spots (heat splits), weak points, frayed ends. Every variety of split, you name it, I had it. Slide after slide of horrible hair. I was in tears. Jenn was like, "are you crying"??? I'm like, and I can barely talk, "yes, continue"...as I hear my fate.

I also have high porosity hair-- this is confirmed by slides that showed my cuticles are very raised and some even frayed. If you remember, I didn't know whether I was high or low porosity b/c for years my hair would never get wet. Also, I always thought my strands were thick, but Jenn said they are medium. Okay, I still think some are thick-- I've seen wires come out of my head. Anyway- back to the story.

I go on to explain to her that I recently started a wig journey in an effort to "hide my hair" (I never wear my hair anyway-- at this point for year and a half). I do have pain in my scalp and some sores- not sure why but I guess not that big a deal. It was getting worse and worse day by day so that I couldn't touch my scalp sometimes. She was concerned my follicles had become inflamed -- and this is why some of my roots are small and producing smaller and smaller hair.

To be continued. This is going to be a long one; I can't do it all at once. will be back later today.

Thanks for sharing! I believe your analysis is going to help a lot of people!

Amarilles

Can someone pleeease ask about baking soda? Do I have to pay one of y'all off?! Lmao...let me know and I'll PP you a buck or two! :lol:

I'm learning so much reading through these, thanks to everyone that has posted about their experience. My boyfriend has very expensive, high quality macro lens for his Cannon so I got him to take shots of my strands...the most interesting thing I found was an SSK. :ohwell: I don't think it's quite the same even if the strands do appear very clearly...I can't wait until the Komaza girls open this service back up!

Amarilles, If you look back at my first post after my first phone call, I asked them all about how they got in this field, training and the like, hope that helps :)
Thanks! I remember your post, the link was dead though (I think it was before they revamped their site) I just wonder if there's an actual course/major for this kind of research. The BF (he's a scientist) believes it's materials science (or one of its branches) but I still wonder.

faithVA

Can someone pleeease ask about baking soda? Do I have to pay one of y'all off?! Lmao...let me know and I'll PP you a buck or two! :lol:

I'm learning so much reading through these, thanks to everyone that has posted about their experience. My boyfriend has very expensive, high quality macro lens for his Cannon so I got him to take shots of my strands...the most interesting thing I found was an SSK. :ohwell: I don't think it's quite the same even if the strands do appear very clearly...I can't wait until the Komaza girls open this service back up!

Thanks! I remember your post, the link was dead though (I think it was before they revamped their site) I just wonder if there's an actual course/major for this kind of research. The BF (he's a scientist) believes it's materials science (or one of its branches) but I still wonder.

Send me the money upfront and I will handle it :sekret:

I believe Rene is a trichologist. Not sure where she studied.

Amarilles

Lmao! Give me your email address like now!

I WILL however send a hitman after you if I don't get my info. :angel: :lol:

Amarilles

Damn skippy I'd put out a hit for $4... I'm not above fighting for cheap change. :lol: :D

Ah and so trichology...this isn't really recognized very much in the states, no medical background needed to practice it. I'm actually moving to Europe later this year so I guess I'll look into it over there where it's a little more widely known. Hmm...thanks girls!

faithVA

^^You can become certified here. I have seen some certified trichologists in my state. I have a feeling in the next 5 to 10 years we will see this becoming a more populated field.

virtuenow

I updated the post above w/more info and pictures; can't fit the rest in there-- it's too much. Be back in a min. I may start a new thread for this.

virtuenow

Part II THE RESULTS
(part I here http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=17989473&postcount=783)

Follow-up Analysis:

Fast forward five months to my follow up analysis yesterday. Jenn's first words to me are, "I LOVE YOUR HAIR"! She said I have healthy, strong hair ...and normal porosity. UNBELIEVABLE! She wanted to know what I had been doing...and the answer is everything.

I followed all of her advice, and was strict with it-- especially in the beginning for building a solid regimen. She went through the hair slides with me, and presented picture after picture of healthy hair follicle, w/slightly raised cuticles ready to accept moisture and in great condition. It was beautiful.

She said she struggled to find split hairs or any breakage. There were some hairs that were beginning to taper. She said that meant I was due for my regular trim. A couple of hairs had bends in them and she said that was from a pony tail holder. She is correct, I just embarked on a top bun journey (challenge) and need to move bun around more & use pantyhose tie.

I can't beleive just a few months ago I had a head full of damaged, split hair-- where Jenn struggled to find a single healthy strand. I thougth I was doomed in the hair department-- but prayed and pushed on w/the advice I was given. Thank God.

Now the pictures:

Perfect porosity, healthy hair strand:

Fat, healthy root & strands:

Bend from ponytail holder:

Single strand knot thrown in for fun:

This experience was amazing. My hair has never been this healthy; it has never quite been on the right track. I deep condition weekly w/AO Gpb on dry hair; use pure protein (Komaza Protein Strengthener) once a month now, still dilute shampoo in color applicator bottle; oil rinse w/castor oil; For leave ins I played around w/a few different products and combos but found this to be the best and most moisturizing: Califia Moisture spritz (love it), my leave in is the Komaza Shea Lotion, and sealant is their Jojoba Hemp Oil. Overall I remained consistent and saw results

ETA: In all of this I forgot to mention my detangling struggle and breakthrough. That deserves it's own thread-- this is already too long!

Pics During Journey:

Here was my hair in Aug/Sept: first time wearing out in 1.5yrs (after the cut); fully shrunken b/c I didn't know how to stretch it but that's a whole other post:

Here's my hair a month later in Oct/Nov: I learned how to stretch my twists w/o heat:

December light tension blow-out:

Hair Now: Signature High Bun

Thanks ladies!

Last edited:

biznesswmn

virtuenow - really really happy for you and your hair ;-) and also glad you were part of the wave that got follow up hair analysis so u can see the difference on the slides. They told me to do protein treatments for a whole year so its nice to know that five months later i can expect big changes

ceecy29

Wow virtuenow, I'm sold on this service based on your review. I'm so glad that you were able to get your hair to do better.

I wish they'd figure a way out to still offer the follow-up consultation.

Gr8ness83

I am trying to purchase the hair analysis system on the site but for some reason, it is not bringing me to a page where I can purchase it. I have created an account and all. :ohwell: Is anyone else having this same problem?

faithVA

[USER said:
Gr8ness83;17994345[/USER]]I am trying to purchase the hair analysis system on the site but for some reason, it is not bringing me to a page where I can purchase it. I have created an account and all. :ohwell: Is anyone else having this same problem?

They aren't accepting any new analysis purchases at this time. They currently have a backlog of analysis to do. I would check back in about 10 days.

faithVA

virtuenow, Fabulous analysis. I can't wait to see your pictures. That made me rethink some things in my own regimen.

I didn't realize a ponytail holder would bend the ends.

Did you have to trim at all after your first analysis? I need to go back and re-read.

daviine

Quick question. I haven't mailed my hair in so I have a few questions:

1. Does clean hair mean no condtioner? No leave-in?

2. How many strands did you guys send in?

3. As a transitioner, should I be sending hair with relaxed ends? I think most of the hair I've collected so far are natural. Not purposely though.

4. Do I send in ziploc or what? Or do I just stuff in envelope?

I'm going to look for my packet but I don't remember seeing instructions about this. I'm going to try to send this out today.

ETA: I haven't been in this thread for months but did someone say they don't offer follow ups anymore? As of when? I ordered mine in December. :look:

Last edited:

faithVA

Quick question. I haven't mailed my hair in so I have a few questions:

1. Does clean hair mean no condtioner? No leave-in?
I conditioned but no leave-in. But I rinsed the hair again under warm water.

2. How many strands did you guys send in?
Whatever came out of my head on wash day

3. As a transitioner, should I be sending hair with relaxed ends? I think most of the hair I've collected so far are natural. Not purposely though.
If you send what comes out of your head on wash day then it will be a full sample. Don't pick and choose what you send.

4. Do I send in ziploc or what? Or do I just stuff in envelope?
I put my hair in 6 sections and detangled each section. I took the hair from each section and put it in a separate ziploc bag and labeledh them. Then I put all bags in an envelope.

I'm going to look for my packet but I don't remember seeing instructions about this. I'm going to try to send this out today.

ETA: I haven't been in this thread for months but did someone say they don't offer follow ups anymore? As of when? I ordered mine in December. :look:

I don't know when they stopped. Someone else may know.

daviine

They probably stopped in December or before because my packet has the same 4 steps listed on the website:

STEP 3:

After we receive your hair sample a confirmation e-mail will be sent to you. Within 7-10 business days after receiving your hair sample we will contact you with our recommendations and your results. You will be able to view your hair analysis results and images when logged into your Komaza Care account.

STEP 4:

You will be extremely happy, more knowledgeable, and on your way to healthy beautiful hair!

Thanks Faith. I don't really comb my hair, so I just grabbed hair from around the tub and in my hands over several wash days.

I don't want to start over and collect by section so I'll just mail what I have. I should have asked these questions in December.

faithVA

They probably stopped in December or before because my packet has the same 4 steps listed on the website:

STEP 3:

After we receive your hair sample a confirmation e-mail will be sent to you. Within 7-10 business days after receiving your hair sample we will contact you with our recommendations and your results. You will be able to view your hair analysis results and images when logged into your Komaza Care account.

STEP 4:

You will be extremely happy, more knowledgeable, and on your way to healthy beautiful hair!

Thanks Faith. I don't really comb my hair, so I just grabbed hair from around the tub and in my hands over several wash days.

I don't want to start over and collect by section so I'll just mail what I have. I should have asked these questions in December.

Ok. I had my analysis in August. So the procedure was different.

You don't have to comb your hair. However you detangle it or whatever you do, you just want to take the hair you get on wash day.

It's not crucial to separate the hair but for me it was important. Some of my strands showed I was experiencing hair loss and thinning. And by separating into section I could tell whether that was happening in one area or all over.

daviine

Ok. I had my analysis in August. So the procedure was different.

You don't have to comb your hair. However you detangle it or whatever you do, you just want to take the hair you get on wash day.

It's not crucial to separate the hair but for me it was important. Some of my strands showed I was experiencing hair loss and thinning. And by separating into section I could tell whether that was happening in one area or all over.

I know you were one of the Komaza OGs, lol. I just didn't realize they had changed it because I was so excited that the service was available again. At this point, I just want to not waste my $65 so I need to mail it in.

They probably should have made the change more obvious, and they might not be so swamped. (example: "Please note that a follow up is no longer included" or that the "$65 is for initial consultation only"). While it's our responsibility to read carefully, I don't think anyone would be expecting them to drop the follow up. I sure wasn't. So, I think it's a bit misleading since people were buying based on word of mouth/reputation and the service they heard others received. Maybe this was discussed already. Sorry if it was.

Anyway, I already know my hair is thinning and why so I'm just doing this in an effort to better understand and enjoy my hair.

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly.

Last edited:

faithVA

^^I agree. They should have made it more clear.

And yes send it in to not waste your $65.

As I was reading this thread, I was thinking this would be a good side business for me to somehow get into updating small business websites. Small businesses know they need to do better communicating but unfortunately they usually are too swamped to do the work that needs to be done.

I need to figure out how to work with that market.

daviine

That sounds good. I often have ideas that I think are good but I don't know how to make them happen--- or sometimes I'm too scared to try.

Good luck!