Ladies be careful!

Lexib

Thanks for posting op. Putting chemicals in someone's hair w/o their knowledge or consent??? That is too freakin sick and DANGEROUS (not to mention grounds for a battery charge, but I wont get into all that).

I don't know if it's a lack of education, screening protocols or just plain common sense that's missing among our stylists and salons but this mess needs to stop now. It makes no sense that I have to be more nervous about trusting my own people to take care of my hair than I do a white salon! :nono:

westNDNbeauty

My boss doesn't press hair because after a while I guess it takes it's toll. I suggested we look into safer ways so that people aren't at risk in other places but I guess with straightening hair there's always that chance that you will damage it. Especially with clients where enough isn't enough. At my job it's health over style and she's one of those old school naturals that just doesn't see the need to straighten.

I can understand your boss' stance on straightening. I would never, ever, ever let someone straighten my hair because only I know what my hair can take when it comes to heat and when and where I must increase the heat or reduce it. I would be terrified of a stylist causing heat damage because he/she doesn't know the limit of my hair.

This too is the same reason I won't flat iron anyone else's hair. There is high risk in causing heat damage.

Stepiphanie

Wow wow wooow :blush::blush: Thanks for sharing. I'm newly natural and not planning on having salon straighten my hair at all. The thing is with some of these salons, the owner is licensed but a lot of time the other ladies there are not!! I would have to cut a b.

hair4romheaven

I believe it with out a doubt..when I was texlaxed I went to a dominican salon and as she was roller setting my hair she said "I like your hair even though its natural its different". I was confused and said what do you mean different? She said you know not like hard like "morena" hair. I laughed and said I have a relaxer just not a straight relaxer so my hair is probably hard like morena hair. She quietly continued to set my hair while eyeing me in the mirror and I caught each eye reminding her to comb starting from my "puntas" (ends) LOL sashayed to the dryer with an extra twist and was done.
So in essence some dominicans have something against natural afro texture hair..they don't "enjoy" doing it..It's more of a task..They just don't understand it even though some dominicans have afro texture hair.

stelladata

You know what, i can actually believe this, because come to think of it, long before I started my hair journey I had stopped perming my hair for a while and I was going to some dominican salon, and everytime I washed my hair, my texture looked nothing like it did while I was natural or even now that I have a perm, and no amount of moisture could fix it, it could have been that hot *** drier she would use to saute my strands or what the OP described.

My Friend

I'm not an attorney but I think it would be hard to win a lawsuit. If one agrees to a "softner" or a "special ingredient" then you are agreeing with them. If you ask your stylist what products they are using and they decline to share but you remain in the chair, you are consenting to the service. :look:

Would you have anything in writing? Would you have a witness? Would you have before and after pictures? Do they have professional insurance? Does the salon? I think we sometimes fail to research any of this before we sit in the chair. :yep:

I too think that stylits that make the decision on wether or not you need a relaxer have a lot of damn nerve.

LittleLuxe

Shucks, somebody would be dead.

It's insane what they do now to trusting consumers just for the sake of their own laziness and lack of technique or ability. I wish folks good luck. It's really getting hard out there to care for your hair with some supposed professionals.

Spiffy

Thanks! I have even heard horror stories from braiders cutting people's hair as they trim 'fuzz' from braids. Now that I found Feye's trimming methods and my sister can braid my hair if I desire, I no longer have a reason to go to a salon.

darlingdiva

You know what, i can actually believe this, because come to think of it, long before I started my hair journey I had stopped perming my hair for a while and I was going to some dominican salon, and everytime I washed my hair, my texture looked nothing like it did while I was natural or even now that I have a perm, and no amount of moisture could fix it, it could have been that hot *** drier she would use to saute my strands or what the OP described.

It very well could have been. I didn't even know that steam could be emitted from blow dryers until the Dominicans did my hair.

ava2

(thanks OP)

Wow! :perplexed
We have to be careful at the Salons now?!

Salons used to be a place where we could go to let our hair down, relax, read dated Jet mags, get a power nap, get good gossip :look:...

now you have to be alert from inquiring the ingredients at the shampoo bowl :nono: to having a mirror over your shoulder during a so-called "trim" :ohwell:. Geez!

Not. good.

ConstantlyDynamic

aww man now i have to learn how to do this stuff myself. i'm so bad at hair styling so, if i'm doing anything other than a wash-n-go or messed up twists that i can wear around the house, i go to a stylist. now i'm scared

AvaSpeaks

So do we as a people really hate ourselves that much where we would resort to such permanent type solutions to make our hair straight?

Sad :nono:

Nazarite27

Hello all!

Here's the deal. I'm a junior stylist in a natural salon that doesn't straighten hair. So a few of our clients just opt to go elsewhere to get their hair straightened. Recently a few of our clients have been telling us stories of salons mixing relaxers with conditioners in order to get their hair straighter. I'll give two examples.

First example. A client used to get Dominican blowouts. She was short on time and just stuck with a rollerset. She's a solid 4b. When I saw her she had broken pieces at her scalp and her hair was straightish/curlyish and not quite 4 anymore. She said the minute they rinsed the dc out her hair was no longer it's texture. After the rollerset she said her hair just went downhill.

Second example. A clients hair was originally SL. When I met her I assumed she had recently BC'd and still had relaxed ends. She informed me that she's been natural for years and that she's only been getting it pressed. But on the last press her hair was sleeker and shinier than usual. She said her stylist mixed something but she wasn't paying attention and since she didn't smell anything she didn't think anything was up. She did say that she got a 15 minute dc with whatever was mixed. After it was all said and done her hair gradually fell off and she now has only 2 inches of hair. She still has straight ends but I just felt bad cutting it all off.

I could go on but I think you guys get it. If you go to a salon where they complain about the thickness of your hair or things like that don't let them touch your hair. Both of these ladies had thick hair 4 type hair. My guess is that they are just putting it in and not neutralizing afterwards. I can't think of any places that shampoo after a dc.

I don't normally start threads but there was enough people to make me see that something is afoot. Why people would do such a nasty thing is beyond me.

This is exactly what happened to me back in 2004. I haven't been back to a Dominican Salon since!! I had to totally "rebuild" my hair and am now natural.

I hate to say it, but sometimes, I think they do it on purpose. Who in their right mind doesn't know that relaxers must be neutralized? On top of that, they are not fans of "nappy" hair.

That was a horrible experience and I will NEVER visit a Dominican Salon ever again! :nono:

Vashti

So do we as a people really hate ourselves that much where we would resort to such permanent type solutions to make our hair straight?

Sad :nono:

The problem is when the decision to relax is made for you without your knowledge by a stylist that has a personal issue with coarse African American hair. You go in for a press and curl, which isn't permanent, and you come out with relaxed hair without knowing it until it's too late to do damage control on your hair. That's self hate being projected on to someone else's hair!

I think the idea to have an LHCF approved salon list is a excellent idea!

Vintageglam

Omg that is awful! Can you sure for that?

This is potentially a criminal/ civil offence i.e. battery (a harmful or offensive touching without plaintiffs consent). Seeing as the women in op's posts did not consent to the relaxer all that would need tpo be shown is that these salons are mixing relaxer into their DC's in the course of business to show their guilt/ liability. If this were me i would defo sue to bring this b*llsh*t practice into the open.

Honestly how dare you make decisions for me about such a personal thing as relaxing my hair? :nono: Someone would be in hospital if it were me.

Let this also be a lesson not to take your children to salons also....

tbaby_8

Now that's just lowdown!!!! Good Lord. This makes my blood boil. It's hacks like this that gives us good, legitimate stylists a bad name. Wow........Thanks for the warning OP. I haven't heard of this, but I'll keep my eye out for it.

Exactly! How can we (legitimate stylist) encourgage the general public to come to us, if we have jack leg stylist pulling this type of crap. Those clients need to sue, because that is just wrong. Don't put a relaxer in my hair if I didn't has for it.:perplexed

tbaby_8

I can totally believe this! The stylist I was using for years told me last year that at my next appointment she was going to " use a little perm and just run it through my hair to loosen the curls a little." I did not ask her to, and I expressed my desire for natural hair, I only straighten about 3-4 times a year, if that.

I knew before I left that salon I would never be back - and it's sad because I recommended several people to her and she is amazing at what she does. It really is underhanded that people would do this without someone knowing about it.

It is one thing to tell you that she is going to do that, but it is another thing to do it underhandedly and not say anything at all and then take my hair out. It's time to fight, then.

Lylddlebit

I once suspected this, but since I wasn't sure what caused my looser ends, (could have been heat, mechanical, or chemical damage)I just got a hair cut and stopped going to the shop. Since I started doing my own hair I haven't had my ends look straight no matter how hot I pressed it, or how often.

Fine 4s

I generally don't go to salons to wash and DC anyway but I can't see my stylist doing this. That's just...out of my realm of comprehension...right now.
Thanks for the heads up and what's the name of your salon? Love the concept.

Miss_C

Thanks for posting. Haven't been to the salon in over a year, but I can def see this happening, esp when a stylist gets super wide eyed when you walk in the salon with hair thats in the middle of a long stretch or completely natural, but still does your hair, pushing the relaxer and saying how thick and wild your hair is and that "Some people are just not meant to go natural!"
When they later express amazement at how well your hair turned out ("Oh I never thought hair like yours would come out nice. It's ACTUALLY pretty." ) it could be suspicious. When I do visit the salon again, I will be verrrry careful.

Mahalialee4

This is exactly why no one touches my hair but me.

You got that right!!!

Do you think ladies should have a little private corner consultation with their 'stylist' before they get anything done. You know, call her to the side, outa sight, say you want to show her a picture.......then...You know, flash some knuckle dusters and allude to "your cousin's friend that jacked up the last person who messed with a friends hair...?" Maybe give her a fluttery eye crazy stare with mouth open for split second......AND SAY, THIS IS THE PICTURE OF MY COUSIN'S FRIEN!...BUT SHE ABOUT TO GET OUT THO.!"..(The pic could be a Down load of a hardened lady felon from a prison web site! ) lololol yeah.......just being silly! lolol

Last edited: