Ladies can you help me out? MSM dosage question...

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I currently take Jarrow Formulas MSM....now on the bottle it says that it's 1000mg's but on the label (where the supplement facts are) it says "providing 340mg of organic sulfur" underneath where it says "Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane amount per capsule 1000mg"

In the last 2 days I've upped my dosage of the MSM I'm taking to 6000mg's (3 in the morning and 3 at night) now I'm no mathmetician but does that mean I'm only getting 2040mg's of actual sulfur??? :confused: I've read around here how folks been having pretty good results at 2000mg's of MSM so if I'm only getting 340mg's of organic sulfur per capsule then I would conceivably have to take more capsules to get the same results?!?!?! Is that right??? :confused:

Surprisingly I haven't experienced any detox symptoms.....

Help me please!

jwhitley6

I take that brand too. The MSM itself is not sulfur, its chemical composition breaks down in your system to about 1/3 sulfur. Everybody's MSM breaks down the same way (1000mg of MSM=340mg sulfur)

Last edited:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
jwhitley6 said:
I take that brand too. The MSM itself is not sulfur, its chemical composition breaks down in your system to about 1/3 sulfur. Everybody's MSM breaks down the same way (1000mg of MSM=340mg sulfur)

Thank you for responding but I'm still confused....if the MSM breaks down to 340mg of sulfer then what's the other 660mg's in the capsule?? :confused: Would it be the Magnesium stearate and gelatin that's listed under 'other ingredients'?? Am I overdosing on MSM by taking 6000mg's?? :eek:

jwhitley6

EMJazzy said:
Thank you for responding but I'm still confused....if the MSM breaks down to 340mg of sulfer then what's the other 660mg's in the capsule?? :confused: Would it be the Magnesium stearate and gelatin that's listed under 'other ingredients'?? Am I overdosing on MSM by taking 6000mg's?? :eek:

I'm no chemist, but the compound is known as Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane, so I guess there's like Methenol, Sulfur and Methane, or something like that, when it breaks down. The MSM powder we use has no fillers (magnesium stearate, etc)