Ladies, help with underprocessed hair please!

It seems as if no matter which salon I go to, no one can get my hair straight:sad:. I have been to Juanita's hair salon in BK twice, and then Eddie Jr. in Harlem and my hair has always come out underprocessed. I make sure I clarify a week before hand so no cones or petroleum is on my new growth to make it underprocessed. I have used Mizani, Olive Oil, and Silk Elements, all in Super :look:.
IDK if it's the salon's fault or what, but some parts will be processed while other won't be. On my last relaxer, about a week ago, I went to Eddie Jr. in Harlem and now there is a big section in the middle of my hair that is underprocessed

Spring

It seems as if no matter which salon I go to, no one can get my hair straight:sad:. I have been to Juanita's hair salon in BK twice, and then Eddie Jr. in Harlem and my hair has always come out underprocessed. I make sure I clarify a week before hand so no cones or petroleum is on my new growth to make it underprocessed. I have used Mizani, Olive Oil, and Silk Elements, all in Super :look:.
IDK if it's the salon's fault or what, but some parts will be processed while other won't be. On my last relaxer, about a week ago, I went to Eddie Jr. in Harlem and now there is a big section in the middle of my hair that is underprocessed

If some parts are coming out ok, then you might try self-relaxing in sections (back, then front seems to be the easiest for me when doing it this way), so you will have plenty of time to apply, smooth (some DIYers omit this step because of time constraints), and rinse without being rushed and you can observe your curl pattern to gauge your desired straightness

All of my touch up results for the past 12 months have been underprocessed. After thinking it over, I think my culprit has been the extra extra basing. In the past, I never had this problem, but this year, I've been applying more than the usual amount of vaseline. I didn't catch this until now. I know your underprocessed results are not from too much basing, but hopefully soon you'll be able to solve it. :)

SelfStyled

I have been underprocessed for 3 years with lye, I switched to no lye my last touchup and my new growth is not underprocessed at all. Try no lye on your next touch up and see what happens. If you are finding that certain areas on your head are undeprocessed start in that/those sections first.

I have tried self relaxing in sections in the past and it was just a mess :nono:
On my last relaxer the woman didn't even base me and it still didn't come out straight:ohwell:

Spring

I have tried self relaxing in sections in the past and it was just a mess :nono:
On my last relaxer the woman didn't even base me and it still didn't come out straight:ohwell:

This is my 2nd time relaxing in sections...my front amazingly stayed pretty dry while I relaxed the back... and I watched MsKibibi's self relaxing video for tips on how to place the plastic caps.

How long are they leaving the relaxer on for and would doing it yourself be a consideration? :)

Bluetopia

OP you're asking about being under-processed - but your ticker in your signature says you're 2+ years since "last relaxer" :look:

Am I missing something? :brainy:

This is my 2nd time relaxing in sections...my front amazingly stayed pretty dry while I relaxed the back... and I watched MsKibibi's self relaxing video for tips on how to place the plastic caps.

How long are they leaving the relaxer on for and would doing it yourself be a consideration? :)
They left it on for about 30 min +. I timed them :ohwell:. Sometimes I feel sorry for them because I know they be confused lol

OP you're asking about being under-processed - but your ticker in your signature says you're 2+ years since "last relaxer" :look:

Am I missing something? :brainy:
That's me being lazy about changing my siggy lol

alive

i think self styled makes a good point. it might have something to do with lye vs no-lye. i think ladies that have had similar problems have switched to lye and viola! no more under processing. sorry i can't be more helpful...it's been ages since i relaxed my hair.

would you consider staying texlaxed though? many ladies have had great results with semi straight hair

simplyhair

I have been underprocessed for 3 years with lye, I switched to no lye my last touchup and my new growth is not underprocessed at all. Try no lye on your next touch up and see what happens. If you are finding that certain areas on your head are undeprocessed start in that/those sections first.

I agree with SelfStyled. I have been researching the lye vs no lye scenarios online lately. Based on what I have found out, lye relaxer will typically leave the hair underprocessed. Now, that may not be the case with everyone that gets a lye relaxer...but I think it is known that it can happen.

I'm not saying to go with a no-lye relaxer because there is a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of a no lye relaxer. I recently switched to lye from no lye and debate on whether I should go back to no lye because I do not like being underprocessed. However, I now know that I need to use a chelating shampoo to remove any calcium/mineral residue if I do go back to a no lye relaxer to prevent dryness.

Dposh167

i just started self relaxing and i'm so far beyond unprocessed, you would think i was transitioning right now. But i didn't smooth very well last time. My beautician always smoothed my ng super straight. I'm using the same perm as she does, so its definitely something on my end