Underprocessed/Overprocessed please help!

Aquamarie

I've read several threads talking about being overprocessed or underprocessed after a relaxer. How do you know if you have either one? About three weeks ago I used Motions orginal relaxer and while my hair was a little smoother the roots still look pretty poofy to me. Is this being underprocessed? Can being underprocessed being harmful to the hair?

Please let me know. I am terrified of relaxers because in the past I've lost a lot of hair to them but I just am not ready to go natural. I just want to make sure I do it right. I've all ready stopped using heat but I'm not ready to let my relaxer go :( .

TIA

*Happily Me*

Aquamarie said:
I've read several threads talking about being overprocessed or underprocessed after a relaxer. How do you know if you have either one? You'll know that your hair is underprocessed because the texture poufy and perhaps frizzy. About three weeks ago I used Motions orginal relaxer and while my hair was a little smoother the roots still look pretty poofy to me. Is this being underprocessed? i think so Can being underprocessed being harmful to the hair? no. My hair is underprocessed too. my roots are texlaxed but i have some areas of my hair where no perm has touched. It happened when i transitioned for 7 months then relaxed. I mistakenly only relaxed the first 1 and a half inches of the new growth. :ohwell: My hair is difficult to comb at times and it requires A LOT of patience to not pull the comb through fast trying to untangle a nap. But, it's thicker and healthier than i've ever seen it.

Please let me know. I am terrified of relaxers because in the past I've lost a lot of hair to them but I just am not ready to go natural. I just want to make sure I do it right. I've all ready stopped using heat but I'm not ready to let my relaxer go :( .

TIA

HTH

lonei

Aquamarie said:
I've read several threads talking about being overprocessed or underprocessed after a relaxer. How do you know if you have either one? About three weeks ago I used Motions orginal relaxer and while my hair was a little smoother the roots still look pretty poofy to me. Is this being underprocessed? Can being underprocessed being harmful to the hair?

TIA

Motions does it again!!! It has underprocessed me for the past two years, my hair is frizzy and puffy like you describe. I think over processed is when you have left the relaxer on way too long or overlapped it alot, meaning it may be prone to breakage. I dont think either one is good but for me, underprocessed was worse, especially if the texture doesn comply with the rest of your hair, making it hard to straighten or comb or just handle. For me, it has been extremely harmful to my hair in that it would mat when its wet and require heat to straighten. i recently went back to no-lye and i am growing this mess out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aquamarie

Wow that was fast :) .

Thanks for your help Dyslla. I'm thinking that with the experience I've had being underprocessed isn't so bad for me. My hair isn't that difficult to comb through and with the protective styles it really doesn't look bad to me.

Do you how to tell if your hair is over processed?

beana

Aquamarie said:

TIA

I dont think your either, just not relaxed bone straight. Sounds like your relaxed maybe 75- 80% If its not a problem, I would "react" too much to it. The nxt time you relax id smooth the relaxer over the less straight parts and let sit for maybe 5 mins. It depends on how straight you want your hair at this point.

Like lonei, ley relaxers left me with matted hair and thats when "underprocessing" really rears its ugly head when you hair is just plain unmanageable.