Ladies with twa

larry3344

I am at the twa stage and I don't know what other styles to do and also I started to cover my hair last night...with a swimmer's hair cap :look:, and the next morning my hair felt so dry and compact, however when I showered my hair was so soft/smooth almost as if I had a different texture:perplexed. Now my questions for you ladies with twa are:
1) How do you style your hair
2) What is your regimen
3)what do you do with you hair at night to keep it moisturized?
4)What kind of hair covering do you use?
5)What is your staple moisturizer? (I have 4a/b hair)

TIA:grin:

Nonie

I am not TWA anymore but I can tell you what I did when I was.

1) How do you style your hair?

I wore an afro.

I wore a regular puff:

And I cornrowed the front and sported a puff in the back.

2) What is your regimen?

I shampooed, conditioned, ACV rinsed twice a week. One of those times I DC'd after the shampoo but before the ACV rinse. After a wash, I would towel dry and apply an ample amount of S-Curl spray and massage it into my hair (not my scalp), then comb and style. At night, I'd plait my hair (I always plait my hair at night) and then baggy. In the AM, I would take baggy off and comb out. I would not need to apply any more S Curl until wash day as long as I baggied every night, and always in plaits.

3)what do you do with you hair at night to keep it moisturized?

I already answered this in the previous answer.

4)What kind of hair covering do you use?

Plastic cap always.

5)What is your staple moisturizer? (I have 4a/b hair)?

S Curl No Drip Activator Spray

msa

Did you mean a cap that people wear when they go swimming? LOL. Yeah, that I've never heard before. I use a satin bonnet and I sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase.

I don't have a TWA but I am a natural with type 4 hair. My staple (and only) moisturizer is water, I wet my hair everyday (or every other day). To keep the water from evaporating too quickly because I wear my hair out every day now, I put castor oil on my hair after I wet it. Not a whole lot, but enough that I feel my ends won't dry out. It's thick so I don't need that much.

My hair is about shoulder length so I do bantu knots at night after dampening my hair and adding castor oil. I've never had a TWA so I'm not sure what I would do differently. You may want to check the TWA grow out challenge '09. There may be some talk about styles in there.

Nonie

Oh yeah forgot about the cap. Do not use a swim cap. I am afraid that rubber would rub against your hairline and cause breakage. Use a plastic cap like hairdressers use and pull some of the plastic through the elastic so that it too isn't rubbing against your hairline. Also plait your hair if you don't want that flat plastered hair look. :grin:

Nonie

Oh then for now just applying S Curl and baggying is all you need to do. A loose cap like those ten for a dollar caps is all you need to use. Enjoy this very easy period while it lasts.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
You just need to free it. Free your TWA. When you sleep at night, you need to cover it with a satin or silk scarf. Just wear it out until you get some length. Co wash it, deep condition, and moisturize. The You Tube videos are very informative. They have natural style, product videos, and regimen that have helped them be successful in their hair journey. I think the swim cap may be the problem. Your hair is not able to breath in there.:nono: I hope we answered your question. I'm a week away from my 2 month post BC. My hair is now long enough to flat twist. When did you BC? What products do you use and like? Right now I just wash n go 1X a week with Organix conditioner. Right now, I'm using their coconut one. Next month, I'm trying their shea butter one. It is a trial and error on my products. Right now, I use coconut oil to moistuize my hair before I flat twist. It's just really simple for now.

Last edited:

Junebug D

I agree with the others. The best thing to do with your hair at this stage is to just wear it as a TWA. My staples at this stage were StaSofFro and an afro pick. At night cover in a silk or satin scarf. Sometimes I also did little double strand twists (see my "Natural Hair Timeline" & "Styles" albums in my Fotki). Depending on your hair length you could try those, or single twists/comb coils with shea butter to help them "stick".

Last edited:

larry3344

As for my regimen it is not solid but this is what I've been doing:
-Cowash 6 days a week,
-DC once a week with dc (alternate protein and moisturising deep conditionners) after an ACV rinse
-moisturize hair daily with redken curl refiner, scurl and seal with castor oil
-Apply castor oil to scalp...working on blending oils for growth
That is all I do...however I am currently towards finding a staple moisturizer and deep conditioner, I know that my hair sheds and breaks quite a bit and I am trying to reduce that!

tada1

bump mayne...lol
so is combing a twa daily a good idea? is seems that the general consensus is never to comb 4a/b hair while its dry

Nonie

bump mayne...lol
so is combing a twa daily a good idea? is seems that the general consensus is never to comb 4a/b hair while its dry

I never combed my TWA dry. It had either just been drenched in S Curl or I was coming out of an overnight baggy so it was wet from that.

kenkaikim

When I was natural with a TWA all I did was moisturize daily or every other day with S-curl. I would pick it out and go. I wore a satin bonnet to bed every night. If I felt like it, I would co-wash a few times a week. I miss the ease of maintaining a TWA.

*BUMP* Nonie pretty much shut this post down with her thorough explanation :lachen: but I wanted to hear from the daily or frequent cowashers out there.

goldenchica

Girl! This time is gonna flyyyyyyy by! LOL...I BC'd in October and by March I was comb coiling and twisting! But, when it was toooo short: baggyed every night with a mix of olive oil, glycerin, and diluted conditioner; staysoffro sprayed on after my cowash in the mornings...that's it! Really, just enjoy the freedom and keep it moisturized (I swear by baggying and co washes for the TWA stage!) And, don't get testy when 12 million people to rock big earrings ;)