Lady P Deep Moisture Challenge Summer '13 to Summer '14

myhairgrowstoo

The following is taken from the first post by ms sheba of the last challenge, and I decided to revive this thread:

Anybody wanna come with me? LadyP is the first person to inspire me so much that I immediately braided my hair into a zig zag up the back of my head and got real serious about wigging it for the next 12 months. I combed all through her recent thread TWA to Hip Length in 4 yrs and her TWA to MBL in 3 years and all throughout her LHCF Blog Entries for clear explanations about exactly what she's doing to retain every inch of her luscious locs. She has been an inspiration and example of what real commitment can do!

From what I gather, LadyP does the following:

- Hair braided in circle with the "Deep Moisture Method" (description to follow)
- Braids are left for 1 to 2 months
- Shampoo and DC weekly while still in braids
- Moisturize and seal as needed while still in braids
- Sleep with satin bonnet
- Hard protein every 6 to 8 weeks after braids are removed (essential, according to LadyP because of Deep Moisture Method)
- LadyP's vitamin regi: "Vitamins for the Hair, from Puritan's Pride, gelatin, garlic oil and Vitamin E"
- LadyP also does henna treatments but I'm not sure how frequently. I'll be replacing these with ayurveda tea rinses while braids still in.

Deep Moisture Method Description:

:wave: For those of you joining in with LadyP's Deep Moisture Retention Challenge, please answer the following questions:

What is your PS of choice?
Are you natural or relaxed?
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method?
What are you using to seal before braiding?
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added?
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products?
How often will you wash? What method? What products?
What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often?
What else might you add to reach your goals?

Here are my answers below:

What is your PS of choice? I am wigging it but I may also sew it up
Are you natural or relaxed? I am a 4a/b natural
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? I used lacio lacio intensive conditioner mixed with a moisture conditioning balm knock off that I'd souped up with some MSM and wheat germ oil
What are you using to seal before braiding? I sealed with coconut
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? african royal braid spray (it's got silk amino acids and wheat germ )
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? african royal braid spray and coconut oil
How often will you wash? What method? What products? amla/brahmi tea and conditioner cowashes twice a week
What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? aphogee two step every other month
What else might you add to reach your goals? I am spritzing my scalp before cowashes with a tea, msm and aloe mixture to combat shedding. I also take garlic and hair vitamins.

This challenge will run from July 1st 2013- July 1st 2014. Length check pics are due at 4 month intervals, so there will be 3 total. My answers to the questions are below:

What is your PS of choice? Halfwig
Are you natural or relaxed? Texlaxed
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? Not sure, will update late
What are you using to seal before braiding? Jane Carter Nourish & Shine
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? Braid Rx
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? Braid Rx and seal with moisture mix
How often will you wash? What method? What products? Deciding either 1x week or 2x week. Prepoo and then cowash with wen. Alternate DCs and PTs. Hard PT with Aphogee 2 Step every 8 weeks (after my braids take down)
What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? See above
Vitamins will update which later. And hair growth aids (sulfur mix, red pimento oil)

*My goals are APL Dec '13 and BSL by the end of the challenge although that's stretching it.

Who's with me? You can join at any time.
I have some questions about wigs (this is my 1st time) I will ask in another post.

myhairgrowstoo

Here are my questions (I had asked in the last thread, no answer as of yet):
I'm trying to do this with a halfwig but it's hard bc don't want my leave out to get damaged.
Also, any suggestions of the upkeep of wigs? This is my 1st one and already on day 3 yesterday the combs didn't feel as snug...is that normal, what can I do?
I will add my starting length when I get to a computer (app on cell keeps crashing) and I will tag those who showed interest in a thread revival from the last one.
Challenges will also be added here.

ETA: I think I added my length picture 2x but can't see it (it's grey) I'll edited one out when I get to a laptop

Last edited:

polished07

Im in!!!!

What is your PS of choice? wigging it with single braids or twist underneath :)
Are you natural or relaxed? Natural 4B/C
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? Im using one and only argan oil line mixed with evco,evoo, grapeseed oil, looking to buy the hydratheramal line soon however, DC with heat or overnite 1x per week
What are you using to seal before braiding? evco
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? water spray bottle with aloe, peppermint and evco
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? daily, am and pm if I have time, african royale braid spray (I love that is too) or Beautiful textures leave in, I like that too, seal with evco
How often will you wash? What method? What products? cowash 1-2x per week, whatever I have on hand, AOHSW, suave shea butter whatever I have on hand I need to get rid of alot of stuff since Im moving soon.
What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? Aphogee 2 min reconstructor every 6 weeks (not the 2 step) or AOGBP line
What else might you add to reach your goals? Drink plenty of water, take my supps, continue to exercise and scalp massages use JBCO on my edges

PerfectlyFlawed

What is your PS of choice? wigging it with cornrows underneath
Are you natural or relaxed? Texlaxed
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? Giovanni deeper moisture
What are you using to seal before braiding? Safflower oil
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? Wave Neauvo spray
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? Wave neavo spray or aphogee green tea spray sealed with evco
How often will you wash? What method? What products? cowash 1-2x per week, product will be determined by what my hair needs
What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? Aphogee 2 min reconstructor when needed
What else might you add to reach your goals? Drink plenty of water, start exercising regularly and scalp massages with sulfur oil mix

PureSilver

I am excited about this challenge see my post in the quote

The following is taken from the first post by ms sheba of the last challenge, and I decided to revive this thread:

My answers to the questions are in BLUE

What is your PS of choice? Weaves Buns & Wigs

Are you natural or relaxed? Currently Natural

I always alternate my products, right now i am using ORS Olive Oil Carrot Oil and my hair loves it along with Motions CPR

What are you using to seal before braiding?
Amla oil-Sulphur 8 Oil- WGHO & Castor Oil

What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added?
Just Water

How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products?
Under my weave i will be using WGHO & Liquid Gold growth oil on my scalp, its very moisturizing for me. For wigs i will apply ORS Olive Oil Carrot Oil and seal with Vaseline for buns i will use ORS Olive Oil Carrot Oil and seal with Amla Oil

How often will you wash? What method? What products? Deciding either 1x week or 2x week.
When i wear weaves i usually wash every 5-6 weeks :look: (don't judge me) It works well for me and i dont have sweaty or smelly hair. Once i take down i clarify and DC and Moisturize. While wearing wigs i wash every 2 -3 weeks and when wearing buns i wash on average weekly. My products are never static. I rotate them almost every wash. Baking soda, CON moisturizing condition, ORS Creamy Aloe Motions CPR, Suave Pacific Breeze conditioner to which 30ml of glycerine is added, 5 drops of rosemary oil and 5 drops of peppermint oil.

What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? Have not decided that yet

Vitamins will update which later & hair growth aids (cayenne oil, Liquid gold hair oil, WGHO and lots of PS'ing- regrowing my edges with castor oil)

My goals are full BSL by Dec '13 and WL by the end of the challenge

Who's with me? ME ME ME
I have some questions about wigs (this is my 1st time) I will ask in another post.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Add me please!
Deets coming soon.
I'll be taking out my synthetic box braids this week.

davisbr88

YESSSS! This is exactly what I came back for!
I've been following since May 25 and I planned to go at least a year. This challenge will push me even further!

What is your PS of choice? Full lace wigs and half-wigs
Are you natural or relaxed? Natural
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? III Sisters of Nature Sweet Honeyrose Treatment (knock-off MJ Super Sweetback at Walmart).
What are you using to seal before braiding? Cocoa and avocado butters
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? Water - I braid after a wash.
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? I use a mix of conditioner, water, and oil in a spray bottle to moisturize and butter to seal.
How often will you wash? What method? What products? I do not wash while in cornrows. Instead I squeeze conditioner onto my cornrows and rinse it out with an ACV final rinse to avoid the drying effect my hard water has on my hair. The ACV cleanses my scalp and closes my cuticles. I only do this when I feel it is completely necessary, not on a certain schedule.
What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? Komaza Care Protein Hair Strengthener (I have fine hair).
I am going to take a multi and Viviscal, although I am not very consistent... :nono:

*My goals are a little past APL by December 2013 and about 1" from MBL by the end of the challenge*

Last edited:

biznesswmn

Holdg my place
I really need to join. This is almost exactly what the komaza analysis prescribd to get my hair back on track. I was using a similar regimen a couple of years ago and my hair was thrivg.

I am most likely in, just need to read up on the deep moisture method and wigs a bit more

skyslady

Im in!

What is your PS of choice? For the summer: flat twists or braid, 2 strand twists, and bunning. In fall and winter: Sew in

Are you natural or relaxed? Natural 4a/b

What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? Mostly mixure of avacodo, mayo, egg, honey, and olive oil. Alternating every other week with GBP

What are you using to seal before braiding? Shea Butter Whip (shea butter, JBCO, Jojoba oil, and EVOO. I add Rice Bran oil (a ceramide) on the ends for a extra protection and strength.

What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? In a spray bottle a mixture in distilled water, a small amount of grapeseed oil and leave in conditioner.

How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? Flat twists, braids and sew in- I apply my oil mixture of EVOO, JBCO, Jojoba oil, GrapeSeed Oil, Rosemary Oil, Vitamin E Oil between the parts. For 2 stand twists and bunning I moisturize with my water mixure and seal with my oil mixture and use the bagging method at least twice a week.

How often will you wash? What method? What products? Every 2 weeks using a non or low sulfate shampoo if I am taking down flat twists, braids, or with my sew in . Cowash 1x a week if Im taking out 2 strand twist. Or for bunning I cowash at least 2xs a week. I Clarify with ACV once a month for all Styles except Sew in, which I do after take down. Prepoo usually with Alma or Vatika oils and then shampoo with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating or Trader Joe's Balanced Moisturizing Nourish Spa Shampoo.

What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? ORS Replenishing Pak once a month.

What else might you add to reach your goals? Vitamins and Biotin

*My goals are MBL Dec '13 and WL by the end of the challenge.

I'll post my starting pic on the 1st day of the challenge.

Last edited:

Saga

The Generous Queen
What is your PS of choice?: Braids under mah full wigs/lace fronts
Are you natural or relaxed?: colored natural
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method?: Tresemme Naturals conditioner and Aussie moist 3mm
What are you using to seal before braiding? Coconut oil
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? Water
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? Care Free Curl & Whipped Shea butter
How often will you wash? What method? What products? once every week-every 2 weeks.
What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? Aphogee 2 minute and I'm gonna invest in aphogee 2 step
What else might you add to reach your goals? Drinking water, eating better, and exercise

Last edited:

cutiebe2

I've been doing Lady Paniolo for the past year. I've had some great growth. I will post pics in two weeks when I take out these braids. I do two months of braids (senegalese twist) and one month of homemade half-wig in a continuous cycle.

What is your PS of choice? Braids and Half-wig
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? I use any DC I have around. I am trying to use up my stash. Lately its been lots of Dominican products like Miss Keys 10 en 1.
What are you using to seal before braiding? I mix shea butter and Castor oil
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? My hair is usually damp from washing. I put leave-in though
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? I just Deep Condition once a week, don't really seal
How often will you wash? What method? What products? Wash 1x per week. Slap some Conditioner in before bed, wash out in the morning. Again I don't really focus on products as I am trying to use things up. I find that with system you can use anything as long as its not too sticky to make your hair clump when you try to take it out. I use whatever I am trying to get rid of and I have had great results. Hair is also super moisturized when I take hair out.
Vitamins: Right now, none. But it will be Marine Collagen, Cod Liver Oil, and maybe Vit D.

myhairgrowstoo

I've been doing Lady Paniolo for the past year. I've had some great growth. I will post pics in two weeks when I take out these braids. I do two months of braids (senegalese twist) and one month of homemade half-wig in a continuous cycle.

What is your PS of choice? Braids and Half-wig
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? I use any DC I have around. I am trying to use up my stash. Lately its been lots of Dominican products like Miss Keys 10 en 1.
What are you using to seal before braiding? I mix shea butter and Castor oil
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? My hair is usually damp from washing. I put leave-in though
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? I just Deep Condition once a week, don't really seal
How often will you wash? What method? What products? Wash 1x per week. Slap some Conditioner in before bed, wash out in the morning. Again I don't really focus on products as I am trying to use things up. I find that with system you can use anything as long as its not too sticky to make your hair clump when you try to take it out. I use whatever I am trying to get rid of and I have had great results. Hair is also super moisturized when I take hair out.
Vitamins: Right now, none. But it will be Marine Collagen, Cod Liver Oil, and maybe Vit D.

That will be great to see progress!

biznesswmn

Yep I'm joing

Somehow my questionnaire didnt post the first time. Editing to repost -

What is your PS of choice? Buns in warm weathr, wigs in cold

What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? Aussie 3 min, shea moisture deep treatment masque or AOHSR

What are you using to seal before braiding? Coconut oil

What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? I will DC immediately aftr washg

How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? S-curl or komaza aloe my hair moisturzg spray

How often will you wash? What method? What products? Every 7-10 days w lush trichomania shampoo bar. Six wks aftr protein treatment i will wash w joico kpak

What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? Aphogee 2 step every 8 wks, then aftr 6 wks i will condish w joico kpak

What else might you add to reach your goals? I am takg the followg vitamins/supplements: B complex, C, MSM, L-cysteine, natures bounty hair skin and nails w biotin. Also drinkg more water

I feel like i hav too many alternate products Lol. Im tryg to use up a bunch of my stuff too

Last edited:

danniegirl

I would love to join marking my spot with just this intro i will take measurements and detail my plan when i come back later

What is your PS of choice? Braids for now

I like to play kitchen Beautician so i will be mixing my own dc's and noting how they work
DC#1 Traders joes nourish and shine and Shea butter mixed with oils and glycerin i used this last week and i really like it i will be trying it again tomorrow along with the new way to rinse my dc's

What are you using to seal before braiding? i use a bees wax mixed with my oils, sulfer and shea butter

What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? Water

How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? I will be using S curl, Sulfer mix and Castor oil at night for green house affect

How often will you wash? What method? What products? I will wash once a week and condition once a week and steam once per week

Vitamins: i am currently just taking chlorella and spirulina

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
What is your PS of choice? Celies with a full wig
Are you natural or relaxed? Texlaxed/relaxed
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? Keracare Humecto + an oil. I just ordered it .. should be here next week.
What are you using to seal before braiding? WHGO + Apricot kernel oil
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? My hair is usually damp from washing.
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? scurl M&S PM. Moisture only AM.
How often will you wash? What method? What products?Wash 1x per week- elasta QP clarify 1 x a month
Vitamins: Collagen, prenatal, garlic, vitamin c, hempseed, biotin, bamboo silica

JustGROWwithIt

I'm in! I was planning on doing this on my own after learning of LadyP's method a few days ago so this challenge is right up my alley!

What is your PS of choice? Marley twists for the next couple months and then I'll be back to wigging it!
What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? Just going to use what I have on hand right now, which is Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Smoothie. Once that's used up I will prob switch to Suave Humectress since it's cheaper! :yep:
What are you using to seal before braiding? Carol's Daughter Monoi oil followed by CD Healthy Hair Butter. LOVE this stuff! :grin:
What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? My spray bottle which is about 1 part S-Curl and 2 parts Infusium 23 Repair & Renew.
How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? I will thoroughly spray my twists with my mixture every other day. If needed I will smooth some Healthy Hair Butter down the twists after as well.
How often will you wash? What method? What products? I wash 1x a week with diluted Giovanni Deeper Moisture shampoo, focusing on my scalp and squeezing through twists. Then I squeeze Mane n Tail conditioner onto twists, cover with plastic cap, and rinse after about 5 mins. Every 2 weeks I take half of my hair down (alternating between the top half and bottom half) and focus on a good wash on that section. Then apply Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (to the loose hair only, the twisted half I still use Mane n Tail) and sit under my steamer. After rinsing I retwist my hair using the deep moisture method.
What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often? Aphogee 2-Step every 8 weeks when I take down all my hair.
What else might you add to reach your goals? I take Viviscal twice a day and Biotin. Also apply Liquid Gold growth oil every other night and massage my scalp. One week out of a month I will practice inversion as well.

I'm so excited to begin this challenge! :grin:

*My goals are BSL by the end of this year and MBL by the end of the challenge. I might be over shooting but I'm setting the goal anyway! I will post a starting at the beginning of this challenge.

Last edited:

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

I would love to join!!

What is your PS of choice? Mostly wigs, but the occasional bun

Are you natural or relaxed? transitioning

What are you using for your DC of choice for the deep moisture method? Leonor Greyl Masque Quintessence, Kerastase Elixir Ultime mask and a few others

What are you using to seal before braiding? Gleau hair oil

What are you using to wet your hair before DC is added? Leonor Greyl Palme l'huile, creme aux fleurs and water

How will you moisturize and seal while PS is in? What products? yarok feed your ends spray, kerastase elixir or gleau oil

How often will you wash? What method? What products? 2 x weekly. wen 613 or kerastase products or Leonor Greyl ritual

What will you use for your hard protein treatment? and how often?undecided

What else might you add to reach your goals? I'm taking hairfinity, eating clean and including more protein

JustGROWwithIt

I had redid that back half of my Marley twists last night using the Deep Moisture method for the first time. I'm curious to see how it does. Next weekend I will take my whole head down and do a protein treatment before putting the twists back in for another month. I just had to do my back half because it was getting really raggedy back there :) I will take my starting pic next weekend too and post it.

davisbr88

I think I am going to start heat stretching a la Alicia James' method every month before getting my hair braided up so I can stay on top of my ends. Seeing splits and trimming is a lot easier for me when my hair is really stretched, plus having stretched hair will make it easier to braid. I'm happy she posted this because blow dryers are the devil on my hair!

I posted this in the APL '13 thread.
I am planning to do the DMM, let it air dry, and then stretch it for my cornrows.

ZapMami

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or post a step by step. I've been doing this and I still have dry hair..

1. I start with my hair cornrowed. (Extra Thick hair so I have to start with hair cornrowed)
Wash my hair.
2. Apply deep conditioner. Let absorb into hair.
3. Seal with jojoba or castor oil.
4. Spray with leave in conditioner and seal as needed until next wash.
5. Every two weeks co wash and go back to step 2. Try to go 6 weeks.
6. Remove cornrows at 6 to 8 weeks and do light protein treatment.
7. Start at step 1.

I'm doing this and I don't experience soft hair during my braid take down. Shouldn't my hair be soft? I was getting better results with weaves but can't afford them anymore. With the weave I'd just spray leave in and oil on my cornrows every few days and at the end of month when I takedown my hair is silky and soft.

davisbr88

ZapMami: what's your leave-in? I had to change to a moisture-protein balanced leave-in. Also, I baggy during my workout.
Also, is your water hard? My hair has stayed soft since I've been avoiding washing my hair because I have hard water. I use an ACV rinse to cleanse my scalp in between braidings.
Since doing the aforementioned things, my hair has stayed soft.