Leaving relaxer in for more than an hour!?!?

I used to do it for years.:ohwell: My hair was bsl/mbl bone RULER straight. i used luster's had no burns no breakage. very weird

Obviously i don't do it now:grin:

I just found out that my partner's sister leaves her relaxer on for up to an hour and a half when she retouches! I'm surprised her hair hasn't fallen out, although it is extremely dry and overprocessed...
I'm so shocked i just had to tell you lot, lol.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW EVEN AN HOUR IS TOO MUCH I M SO SHOCKED AS WELL AUSTRO-AFRIKANA TELL HER THAT S VERY DANGEROUS!!!!

I can attest to having unhealthy things done to my hair and yet it grew. As a child my mom relaxed my hair from root to tip each touch up every 4 weeks on the dot. I had the longest hair in my family and my mom did not base my scalp.:sad:: My hair was MBL. The only thing I did was wash every 2 weeks, blow dry, use sulfur 8, and curl with a curling iron. :lachen: I did not know how to roller set. I touched up my relaxers the same way and my hair thrived.:grin: Only when I tried to relax properly is when my relaxers did not "take" to my hair.:nono: To this day, sulfur 8 makes my hair thrive. I'm too afraid to try to do the touch up my mom did, but sometimes it makes me so tempted.:rolleyes: The method works for some, I'm just saying. My mother never did leave my relaxers on for an hour, though.:lachen:
Thats funny my hair was the same way as a child...my mom overprocessed the heck outta my head every relaxer, but my hair was still very long and healthy appearing, maybe the hair is alot stronger when you are very young:ohwell:

Hmmm, am I the only one who used to relax her hair for over an hour and usually every 4 weeks? :perplexed

My skull is large and I have a lot of thick, coarse, hard to manage hair. I didn't do this on purpose, but I noticed that it would always take me at least 2 sitcom shows to finish a relaxer. then, I'd have to smooth it in before i washed it out.

I started off with super strength because of the coarseness but eventually went to regular or mild motions because I have seborrheic dermatitis that often flares up.

When I found LHCF I started to try to decrease the time, then I eventually just started doing half of my head at a time to cut it close to the recommended 20-30 minutes, which leaves my hair texlaxed using mizani butter blends regular/normal.

I just found out that my partner's sister leaves her relaxer on for up to an hour and a half when she retouches! I'm surprised her hair hasn't fallen out, although it is extremely dry and overprocessed...
I'm so shocked i just had to tell you lot, lol.

I"m not shocked! This is common! I've seen women roll into the store with relaxer all over their hair- from root to tip!

Which relaxer is that because that seems almost impossible. My entire head would be on fire from burning...., *yikes*

Man I remember when I was relaxed and after 10 minutes my head would be on a fire ...but an hour OUCH!!!!..I cant imagine. I would always get my head washed halfway through the process and then get the second half done.

By any chance, does her hair look like this?

images

:giggle:

An Hour!?!?!?!?!? OMG! I've never heard of such a thing. My hair is fine and 10 mins does the trick, but an hour????

I guess some people just have strong, resistant hair. IDK.

Just when I thought I had heard everything.

Makes me feel better about having so much texture even though I use super for 15 minutes (I mix with lots of conditioner/oil):look:

I had a male roommate back in the day who was half black, half Greek. He would run Hawaiian Silky relaxer through his hair as if it were a styling aid. He thought it would temporarily loosen the curl in his hair until he washed it out. I begged him not to do this but he blew me off.

U know...that's crazy, I wouldn't leave a relaxer in for longer than 25 mins.....let alone an hour or more.......I just don't know what to say.....I'm speechless......

I have pretty kinky, relaxer resistant hair. I can see if she based and I mean really based the crap out of her scalp, had product residue on her new growth AND was using a relaxer whose "coarse" strength wasn't that powerful (my hair laughed at Silk Elements in coarse), I could see keeping it on for an hour and not having to go to the ER.

I wouldn't suggest it. And frankly my scalp screams in pain just thinking about it. But I can see it happening without causing complete baldness.

I have pretty kinky, relaxer resistant hair. I can see if she based and I mean really based the crap out of her scalp, had product residue on her new growth AND was using a relaxer whose "coarse" strength wasn't that powerful (my hair laughed at Silk Elements in coarse), I could see keeping it on for an hour and not having to go to the ER.

I wouldn't suggest it. And frankly my scalp screams in pain just thinking about it. But I can see it happening without causing complete baldness.

I think that if my hair was THAT relaxer resistant, I would go natural. Its not that serious. I think that if your hair can thrive on relaxers, and you're not having to go to extremes (like using the super strength) then go for it. But having straight hair isn't worth all of the uneccessary risk...IMHO.

I am shocked! My scalp burns after 15 minutes....I have wanted to cry when a stylist left it on for 30 minutes and it burned up my poor scalp. The next day my hair was literally stuck to my scalp. I was burned. I couldnt sleep well for days.

I think that if my hair was THAT relaxer resistant, I would go natural. Its not that serious. I think that if your hair can thrive on relaxers, and you're not having to go to extremes (like using the super strength) then go for it. But having straight hair isn't worth all of the uneccessary risk...IMHO.

I'm using the general you here.

I agree. My resistant hair and sensitive scalp is why I put away the relaxers. But I think you have a lot of women who are more scared of their natural hair then they are of leaving extra strength relaxer on their heads for an hour.

I'm having traumatic scalp burn flashbacks just thinking about it.

You make a good point Speedstick. Maybe she uses grease everyday on her hair and scalp so she has a "protective" barrier against the relaxer. I know I am reaching but I really need to know how a person can do this and still have hair and skin on their head.

I agree. My resistant hair and sensitive scalp is why I put away the relaxers. But I think you have a lot of women who are more scared of their natural hair then they are of leaving extra strength relaxer on their heads for an hour.

I'm having traumatic scalp burn flashbacks just thinking about it.

Which I don't understand.

Now I do get nervous when I go to get a relaxer (I've had some not so good experiences), but the lady that does my hair does a great job. The only time that I've had any problems is if I've been scratching a whole bunch. Which that isn't the relaxer's fault.

I've toyed with the idea of going natural, because I love my natural hair, but I don't like the idea of being curly all the time. I would still wear my hair striaght, and wear it curly every once in a while. I'm not down with heat damage though.

But burning the smoo out of your head just to have straight hair. Not that serious.

Couldn't do it, but a roomate I had in college would leave her relaxer in for over an hour. She said "The relaxer isn't going to do anything, my hair just sits up and laughs at it." Her hair was, possibly 2 inches long, not cut into any style or anything. But she was right, the relaxer did not actually get her hair straight, but I always wonder if the hair becomes crinkly due to the damage, not because the relaxer didn't work. Anyway, she's natural now so it's all water under the bridge.

As for me, regular strength for 15 minutes max, or else I will lose clumps of hair and have bald spots.

Back