LENGTH

hunnybunny81

Hello ladies..

I wanted to know how you describe your hair length...meaning, do you feel you have "short hair", "medium hair" "long hair"...like how do you feel you've reached one point, or gone past another...like where is the cut off for your hair being considered "medium" or "short" or "long"..do you tell by inches..or by the look of it?I guess this is all an opinion thing and I'm not sure if I made much sense, but I was just curious as to how you gauge length and what you considered "short","medium" or "long" hair is! thanks in advance!!!
grin.gif

Well to me, I've always considered anything above ear lenght to be short. Anything between ear and shoulder lenght was medium, and shoulder lenght and beyond was long.

But I've noticed that alot of black african americans consider a little above shoulder lenght hair, long.????? That could come from the fact that alot of AA's don't really know how to care for our kind of hair so getting to that lenght might be considered long.

IMO

HB
wave.gif

y besitos a ti!
grin.gif
I love your sig.....
smile.gif

I consider my hair medium length and it is just touching the top of my shoulder blades in the back. Interestingly , on anyone else I would consider this "long" already. But to me, for my purposes, and my growth milestones, I won't consder my hair "long" until it's at least at my brastrap. The reason is because although I've had problems reachieving length in my old age
grin.gif
there are many people around with brastrap length hair or shorter. I want extraordinarily long hair, so for me the end result kind of determines how I see the stages in the process.
smile.gif

I consider my hair short just touching shoulder, or above shoulder length. Between shoulder and bra strap is medium to me. Bra strap itself is the shorter end of long to me, if you know what I mean. I consider my hair medium length at the moment.

I consider my hair short. When straightened, my hair is just touching my shoulders in the back, and 2 inches past my ears on the sides. I thought my hair was short-med when it was 23". Medium-long to me is bra-strap, and long is waist length and longer.

Hmmm, this is very subjective. I guess I wold say my hair is medium-long, it's almost at the end of my bra strap. Yet, family members see it out and comment on how long it is. I think like emgurl said cause they're not used to seeing blacks with long hair so anything past shoulders is long.
Short to me is anything by the jawline and shorter.
Short-Medium is jawline to just past shoulders
Medium is just past shoulders to shoulder blades.
Medium-Long is shoulder blades to lower back.
And long is lower back and beyond (imagine Buzz Lightyear saying this...
laugh.gif
to Lower back and beyond...sorry had a moment..
tongue.gif
).

I agree. Short is above ear length. I think medium would be ear to shoulder and long is below shoulder.

But then again I think medium length is below ear length to above arm pit length because collar bone length or shoulder blade length is just not long to me.

And come to think of it, I think short is above the chin.

Actually, any length where you can see your neck is short to me.

Okay, okay, I got it: If you can't pull your hair into a ponytail, you have short hair. If your ponytail is longer than your shoulder, you have long hair. Anything in between is medium length.
grin.gif

I consider mine medium-longish. Chin length in the front, and a few inches past my shoulders in the back. Does that make sense?
ohwell.gif

I didn't consciously think of this, well I think for me shoulder and above is short, shoulder to bra-strap is medium, bra-strap to waist is long, and waist and beyond is ultralong.
wink.gif

I still consider my hair short for now. It went from above the ear to just touching the shoulder (the ends that is).
So I believe that medium is when the hair rests on the shoulders and long is just past the bra strap.
smile.gif

My hair is technically short, but I know how long it took to grow it this length, so it's a lot of hair to me!
drunk.gif

I consider short hair ear length to shoulder length. Medium hair to me is shoulder length to bra-strap length and Long hair is bra-strap and beyond. Right now, my hair is at the longer end of medium length.

Adrienne and I were talking about this a little while back. It's funny, but I do not comsider my hair "long" I consider it medium length where others consider it long. When I think of long I think Almost Waist length. Now that is long to me!

-lee

I go by Wanakee's system (her brochure actually).
Short was shorter than chin length
Medium was just brushing the shoulders
Long was shoulder blades-bra strap length
Very Long was waist length and beyond

My hair is now 2 inches from bra strap, so I consider it long and my ultimate goal is waist length.

My hair is mid-back & people say it's long
confused.gif
but, long to me is waist,tailbone etc. When i reach waist & better then it will be long to me
grin.gif
. Happy Hair Growing!
cool.gif

I concider ear or beginning neck length to be short, medium until it passes the shoulder blades (not at shoulder blades but maybe just past collar bone length) and long after that. past bra strap is really long and butt length brings tears to my eyes! I am a little past shoulders now. Don't know how far past cause need touch up badly!

heres to tears in my eyes!

I consider my hair medium length. I've only stretched my hair and it doesn't feel long at all and I have not straightened it since Oct. Then it was feeling like it was getting longer. But I prolly won't consider my hair long until I reach MBL.

Above shoulder: Short
SL-APL: Medium
BSL-MBL: Medium/Long
MBL-Waist: Long
Hip-Classic: Very Long
Thigh-Ankle: Extremely Long
Floor-Beyond: Stupid Long

I personally consider bra strap to waist length as medium, waist length to hip length as long, and beyond hip length as ultra long.

I consider short hair ear length to shoulder length. Medium hair to me is shoulder length to bra-strap length and Long hair is bra-strap and beyond. Right now, my hair is at the longer end of medium length.

I agree with this as well. I'll just add that anything past waist length is extremely long hair! I saw a white woman with straight classic length hair yesterday... whew! It was quite a rare sight. :look: I didn't know how I felt about it, but I did know right then and there that I do not want my hair to be that long, even though mine will shrink up.

I really don't understand how APL/BSL can be considered short! To me thats medium to long. Chin length bobs are short... choppy ear-length cuts are short. :perplexed

I'm barely APL. In my opinion thats more medium than short, but not quite medium... on me.

But it seems like a lot of girls of this board have 'hair anorexia'!
How you gonna have short hair if you're BSL/MBL?

My hair is neck length...barely touching my shoulders and I consider this short hair. I wont claim long hair until I'm at FULL APL

I consider my hair medium length. I've only stretched my hair and it doesn't feel long at all and I have not straightened it since Oct. Then it was feeling like it was getting longer. But I prolly won't consider my hair long until I reach MBL.

Above shoulder: Short
SL-APL: Medium
BSL-MBL: Medium/Long
MBL-Waist: Long
Hip-Classic: Very Long
Thigh-Ankle: Extremely Long
Floor-Beyond: Stupid Long

CurlyMoo--I want STOOOPID long hair! LOL

EL/NL = short
SL/APL = medium
BSL/MBL = long
WL and Beyond = super long

IRL SL ,where I'm from, is long...it's rare that you see a black woman walking around with APL and beyond hair...not happening! So I gues it's based on norms...my Dominicans friends think BSL is medium...go figure...we are never satisified lol

Last edited:
I personally consider bra strap to waist length as medium, waist length to hip length as long, and beyond hip length as ultra long.

Really?!! The idea that almost waist length is medium is weird to me.

I think shorter that SL is short. SL - APL is medium. BSL+ is long.

Back