Natural Hair Ladies How Long To Detangle!??

IMFOCSD

Hi ladies I was curious as to how long it takes other naturals to detangle their hair. I am looking for new techniques to help me out. Would you mind answering a few questions??

1) how long to detangle
2) hair type
3) hair length
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections
6) products used
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding

Thanks so much in advance!

sgold04

Hi ladies I was curious as to how long it takes other naturals to detangle their hair. I am looking for new techniques to help me out. Would you mind answering a few questions??

1) how long to detangle
Depends on how thorough I want to be. If I'm just doing a run through with conditioner and a wide tooth comb, I'd say 15 minutes? I've never timed it, but I'll pay attention next time. My more thorough detangling sessions where I finger detangle first will take upwards of 45, but again, I don't pay attention, it could be longer. I tend to zone out when doing my hair, like when people bake or knit. About once a month I get super thorough and go through a few strands at a time (fingers and CO to remove shed hair and untwist strands), that takes a loooong time, but I also take a lot of breaks.
2) hair type
4a
3) hair length
Waist length stretched
Thick
Yes, I generally do 4 sections, if being extra thorough I do about 8.
6) products used
Coconut oil when finger detangling, tresemme naturals with a wide tooth comb
I only have breakage when I'm rushing. I find I have to unravel twisted hairs with my fingers first, and then I can run a comb through. My biggest problem is my roots. I can get a comb through the length relatively easily, but not my roots, which is why I have the monthly thorough sessions.

I used to detangle before I washed, then with conditioner, and then when styling, and now I only do it before I wash. My hair is going to curl back on itself, I've accepted that. On wash days I finger detangle with coconut oil first, then wet with a spray bottle, slather tresemme naturals conditioner, then use a wide tooth comb.

Answers in quote

GGsKin

1) how long to detangle
I only use my fingers. After doing this for 11 months it feels the most comfortable way now:). I take between 40mins - 1hr to detangle (and I only do this thoroughly with clay in my hair).

2) hair type
4c/b

3) hair length
Lower part is full SL. The rest is between ear and neck length.

Back has thick strands, whereas the top has fine strands. Medium density.

Many strands start to fall out in the shower. When I apply my clay (always on wet hair), I tend to separate my hair into 4 sections, and go through each one taking the smaller sections, applying root to tip. At this point my hair saturated and clumping. I stretch and smooth- making sure there is no 'webbing' at the roots. The shed hairs tend to come out on my hands without much hassle and I stay by the bath so I can rinse them off, and continue.

6) products used
Water. Clay. (Even when I use conditioner now, I don't actively detangle. This step for me, seems much easier with clay.

The more days I go between washing or wetting my hair, the more shedding I have = longer detailing session. I don't really see much breakage- only if I don't take time. Mostly, I see long strands with their white tips.

I also answered within the quote:).

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
1) how long to detangle 5 minutes done in shower
2) hair type 4a
3) hair length between SL and APL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick thick
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections 4 sections
6) products used Aussie moist
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding none

krissyhair

1) how long to detangle
5 minutes maximum time.

2) hair type
3C

3) hair length
Below shoulder blade

Normal density with fine strands

Sometimes I intentionally clip all of the hair up and pull out a small section at a time to detangle. Most of the time though, my hair is loose and I work from front to back

6) products used
I use my fingers first, then if needed after finger detangling I use a denman brush. Always I use water, either from the shower or spritzed from the spray bottle. Products are either conditioner, or whatever is left in my hair from the day before.

7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding?
Sometimes experience breakage, but not often. I always shed. All hair sheds continuously. I get a tiny fur ball from detangling every day or every other day.

imaginary

1) how long to detangle: about half hour

2) hair type: 4a-c

3) hair length: between SL and APL

4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick: fine strands, low density

5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections: 4 sections

6) products used: I finger detangle first with oil and and then I comb through an entire section with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and water.

7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding: My breakage is actually cutting down with this method, so only a bit. I don't detangle everyday, so I have a fair/average amount of shedding when I do detangle.

LivingInPeace

1) how long to detangle 25-45 minutes depending on how thoroughly I do it.
2) hair type 4a
3) hair length APL sides BSB back
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick Medium
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections About 8-10 sections
6) products used V05 Conditioner
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding Lots and lots of shedding and breakage when I comb through a tough knot

Amarilles

1) how long to detangle: A good few hours if I want to be thorough...depends on how long I go without washing.
2) hair type: 4a/3c
3) hair length: MBL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick: thick, and 4 heads in one to boot :/
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections: 7 or so sections
6) products used: One condish, Jane Carter Nourish Replenish
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding: Not a notiaceable amount breakage. However I do shed something that looks like a fury hamster after I'm through :lol:

IMFOCSD

1) how long to detangle: A good few hours if I want to be thorough...depends on how long I go without washing.
2) hair type: 4a/3c
3) hair length: MBL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick: thick, and 4 heads in one to boot :/
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections: 7 or so sections
6) products used: One condish, Jane Carter Nourish Replenish
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding: Not a notiaceable amount breakage. However I do shed something that looks like a fury hamster after I'm through :lol:

Lol @ fury hampster

IMFOCSD

Thanks ladies I have noticed some things I need to work on! I don't detangle in sections (as far as clipping up and working one at a time ) and I don't detangle with my fingers or products before I wash smh.

*taking notes!*

blackeyes31626

1) how long to detangle For-ev-er. depending on how long I've been wearing my braids or twists(usually 4 weeks)
2) hair type wiry 4c
3) hair length mbl
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick very thick
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections small sections the size of a medium twist or two
6) products used QB ctdg or olive oil and Hello hydration conditioner
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding shedding but I guess it's normal, breakage if I work in larger sections and use my comb

overtherainbow

I love this thread idea

1) It takes 15 minutes to just strictly detangle. With twisting and styling=30 mins
2) 4a springy coils
3) MBL
4) my density is medium-thick, my hair strands are very course
5) I detangle in 8 sections
6) Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk and EVCO
7)Normal shedding, only get breakage if I need a trim or didn't maintain proper moisture-protein balance

I chalk my short detangling time to keeping my hair in twists if I'm going a full week without washing and washing my hair every 3-4 days if I'm wearing it lose.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
1) how long to detangle- 5-10 minutes

2) hair type- cottony 3c/4a

3) hair length-apl stretched

4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick- medium density. Very thick/coarse strands.

5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections- 4-6sections

6) products used- avocado or sunflower oil from prepoo and tresemme naturals conditioner to detangle before washing.

7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding- not yet as a natural.

almond eyes

1) how long to detangle: five minutes

2) hair type: multi-textured

3) hair length: Collarbone inching towards the shoulder

4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick: Thick density fine strands

5) Hair is always detangled in sections and I use my fingers my sections are seven

6) Products used: Pre Poo, Weekly wash, Protein treatments every two weeks, Deep Conditioner weekly, My after wash moisture cocktail is curl prep sweet buttah and castor oil grease

7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding?
Hardly because I always use my fingers and when I am unravelling my hair dry always with some oil on my fingers.

I assume that as my hair gets longer the shed hairs will increase.

Best,
Almond Eyes

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
1) how long to detangle - 15 minutes, maybe
2) hair type - 4b/c, fractals
3) hair length - 4.5-5"
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick - thick
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections - No
6) products used - clay wash or moisturizing conditioner
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding - breakage on dry hair or if I use a comb; a little shedding

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
1) how long to detangle
30 minutes, but that includes braiding my hair to go under a wig
2) hair type
4b
3) hair length
Apl/Bsb
It seems thin to me...most say it is thick
I use about 8-10 sections
6) products used
Kerastase Nectar Thermique or Chi Silk Infusion (for slip)
I get a little bit of both. 75% of lost strands are shed hairs. The rest are broken pieces various lengths and I'm sure it's from me being too rough

NaturalBoss

1) how long to detangle - 10 -15 minutes (depending on the style I wore before washing)
2) hair type - mostly 4a
3) hair length - MBL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick - THICK
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections - 4 sections
6) products used - Currently either Tresemme Naturals or Shea Moisture JBCO
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding - A little shedding that I think is normal considering I don't comb my hair at all except on wash day

nyeredzi

1) how long to detangle - an hour if I'm rushing (gets more breakage), about 90 minutes if I'm more gentle. About once every 2-3 weeks now.
2) hair type - 4b
3) hair length - btwn apl and bsl
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick - dense
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections - about 15 sections.
6) products used - some conditioner or other
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding - yep. if i am too wrapped up in never breaking any hair, i'll be at it forever, and still fail to have no breakage. i just accept it's going to happen to a certain extent.

charmtreese

1) how long to detangle - I lightly detangle throughout my entire wash process.
~ 10 - 20minutes during prepoo
~ 10 - 20 minutes during wash
~ 10 - 20 minutes during DC
30 - 60 minutes in total, plus any additional detangling I need to do to style.
2) hair type 4b
3) hair length between APL and BSL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick strands are thin with medium density
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections 4 - 6
6) products used Prepoo - conditioner and coconut oil
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding yes, small amount of both.

mommylioness

1) how long to detangle - 20 minutes
2) hair type - 4a/3c
3) hair length - BSL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick - medium thick
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections - 10 sections (4 in back, 3 on each side in front)
6) products used - Oil rinsing- evoo, coconut oil, and avocado oil mix, DC- Shea Moisture Manuka Hair and Coconut & Hibiscus Conditioners, Shea Moisture Kid's Detangling Spray, Kinky Curly Knot Today
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding - both, if my hair gets too dry

AgeinATL

1) how long to detangle: It depends on how long it has been since I last detangled. Somewhere between an hour to an hour and 45 minutes.
ETA: I start by finger detangling and then using a comb.
2) hair type: 4a/b
3) hair length: BSL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick: thick with a mix of fine, medium, and thick strands.
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections: I detangle in about 10 sections, 5 on each side.
6) products used: Oyin Hair Dew and my DC (Bee Mine or SM 10-in-1 Superfruit Mask)
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding: If I am too rough with my hair or if I am rushing, I experience more breakage than usual. Other than that, very minimal breakage. I am experiencing shedding due to post partum shedding.

Last edited:

greenbees

1) how long to detangle 30 minutes to an hour depending on the technique I use
2) hair type mostly 4a
3) hair length WL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick my hair strands are fine but overall, my hair my pretty dense
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections four sections
6) products used TONS of Aussie Moist Conditioner
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding mainly shedding; I cut down on breakage because I finger comb my hair the vast majority of the time

davisbr88

1) how long to detangle: I just began finger detangling this weekend, and that took about 30-40 minutes. With a comb and conditioner, it takes about 10-15.
2) hair type: 3C/4A
3) hair length: MBL stretched
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick: Thin-medium (crown is medium)
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections: 4-6
6) products used: Water and homemade conditioner
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding: Yes, which is why I have moved to finger detangling.

bluenvy

1) how long to detangle 10 minutes once a week
2) hair type 4ab
3) hair length Bsl
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections 4 sections
6) products used
Aussie 3 min moist, Vo5 strawberries n cream, or Darcy's botanical pumpkin seed conditioner
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding Shedding 4 quarter size of hair. Postpartum shedding was way worse, but on it's way back to normal which is 1-2 quarters.

Kells

1) how long to detangle- Maybe 5 minutes.
2) hair type - 3C
3) hair length - SL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick - Medium
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections - Yes, finger detangle in 4 section.
6) products used - Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding - Less shedding than usual since I incorporated coconut oil prepoo.

niknakmac

1) how long to detangle
About 10 minutes
2) hair type
4abc
3) hair length
Shoulder length
very thick
6 sections starting from the ends and working my way down to the roots
6) products used
SM detangler

Shedding yes, It always looks like I have shed alot because I only detangle about once every two weeks. When I think about the fact that it's 2 weeks of hair it's actually not that much.

I only really experience breakage when I attepmt to detangle my hair dry. For me it seems to work best when my hair is very wet.

D.N.A.

1) how long to detangle - 20 to 25 mins
2) hair type - 4a/b
3) hair length - MBL
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick - thick
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections - 8 sections
6) products used - any slippery conditioner, water & comb or brush or fingers (depending on what tool I feel like using or what's available)
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding - not much breakage, but a bit of shedding, which is normal for me.

ajargon02

1) how long to detangle: 45min-1hr
2) hair type:4a,b,c
3) hair length: almost apl
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick: fine hair medium strands
5) detangle in sections? Yes I undo my twists finger detangle each and section in 4 parts
6) products used: coconut oil and hello hydration
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding? Well we all have shedding daily. The finger detangling gets out the ahead hairs. I do this first, then when I shampoo, I go back into each section and use the "harp" method to make sure all the shed hair is out. When I take my time, I experience little to no breakage.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
1) how long to detangle - 15-20 minutes to finger detangle.
2) hair type - 3c/4a
3) hair length - APL at my longest point
4) Is your hair thin, medium, thick - medium density, thick strands.
5) detangle in sections (if so how many) or no sections - Yes, 4-6 sections.
6) products used - the oil I overnight prepoo with then Tresemme Naturals Conditioner. No tools, fingers only.
7) do you experience breakage &/or shedding - Not much breakage at all. Normal shedding.

Ogoma

1) how long to detangle
it depends. 2 minutes for mid-week wash and a quick detangle under the shower as I am rinsing my hair. 10 minutes for weekly detangling - first with fingers and then large tooth comb.

2) hair type
Wiry 3c/4a/4b

3) hair length
MBL! an inch to waist. Quite excited.

Medium-thick - density and strands.

2-4 sections

6) products used
Love Aussie 3 Min miracle. That conditioner has so much slip. I have tried to recreate it with no luck.

Very rarely. I have to be really rough to see breakage and I am not rough with my hair 95% of the time.