Let's squash this right now!

Coconut Oil and Avocado Oil have both been scientifically proven to penetrate the hair shaft...Google it

Coconut Oil and Avocado Oil have both been scientifically proven to penetrate the hair shaft...Google it

Done deal! This thread is finished! :grin:

there are probably others that can as well

funny these are the two oils I ALWAYS saw/felt a huge difference with

I don't know if this was answeredd already becasue I'm still reading the thread. But if your moisturizer contains water and oils do you need to seal with oil again. Also, if I moisturize two or three times a day with a water based product do I need to seal with oils every time I moisturize?

That's fine. Lots of moisturizers have oils in them :yep:

Thank you. I believe that there is a link somewhere that shows you how you to resize your pics. I will find it for you. BRB

it used to be everybody had their siggys huge and what not, or whatever pic they wanted , but I did notice a change around here with that , everybody has small ones

I don't know if this was answeredd already becasue I'm still reading the thread. But if your moisturizer contains water and oils do you need to seal with oil again. Also, if I moisturize two or three times a day with a water based product do I need to seal with oils every time I moisturize?
no because your already using both!

I do this too - seal freshly washed hair with oils and butters because I think I am sealing that water in. But a couple of hours later my hair is dry so what am I doing wrong? Do you need to add external water based products sealed with oil to get "moisturized" hair?

Thats because they are helping seal in the moisture that is already there.

I do this too - seal freshly washed hair with oils and butters because I think I am sealing that water in. But a couple of hours later my hair is dry so what am I doing wrong? Do you need to add external water based products sealed with oil to get "moisturized" hair?

For some water is drying and adding oil is just another step in moisturizing , and yes what you said is exactly what I do, water/oil/ then other leave in or conditioner. well actually its this way

Condition/water/oil/condition w/leave in or conditioner again

The oil may just be one step

Sometimes for me oil is enough,but not typically

it used to be everybody had their siggys huge and what not, or whatever pic they wanted , but I did notice a change around here with that , everybody has small ones

There was a regualtion on them. You have to have them a certain size or Nikos would just remove it without warning.

Thanks for starting this thread. All this time I've been thinking that I have been taking such good care of my hair ONLY by adding Hot Six oil on a daily basis, but I now see that's not good enough. :ohwell: I'll start adding water to the ends of my hair and then add the oil to seal in the moisture.

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
:lol:
too funny ... it looks squashed or deflated :lachen:... looks like an alien or even ms piggy.

Last edited:
They need to call it Looniepics 'cause it's awful!!:lachen:
I agree with you about the coconut oil..I know it moisturizes my hair. Keep on doing your coconut..your hair is fantastic!!!!:yep::yep::yep:

Gurl, LOL, I Know huh! Thats exactly what it looks like!

I cant get the dimensions right! That came up and I was dyin laffin!

girl I love Coconut oil soooo much! Thank you!!!!!

oh and I dont care bout no hater's rating my threads 1 or 2 stars or such

love to hate me, live to hate me

whatever floats ur boat

makes me feel special :grin:

Yeah tho, some oils penetrate the hair but so do other things. Those oils mimic how well moisturized hair (with water) SHOULD be...shiny and soft.

Wow, this thread is so timely for me cuz I have just been trying to google “hair oils” and such to try and figure out, ummm, hair oils. So far, found this abstract of an article (I can’t find the whole thing, but I’ll keep looking): http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.0142-5463.2005.00278_3.x that suggests polyunsaturated oils do not penetrate or do so sparingly because of their large molecules, but monounsaturated oils do readily penetrate hair because they have more compact (smaller) molecular structure. Soooooooo, I’ve come to the following tentative conclusions:

1. all oils “lubricate” – that is they reduce friction by providing a smooth film as a covering over parts that move against each other. However, hair oils can be categorized two ways:

2. penetrating oils: the kind that actually “absorbs” into the hair or skin and I believe these are the more “moisturizing” oils, especially when used on WET hair because they emulsify with the water and then penetrate. Some mono/penetrating oils are: castor, jojoba, emu, olive, rapeseed, hazelnut, almond, avocado, sesame, etc. (please correct and/or add to this list)

3. sealing oils: the kind that create “barrier” on top of the hair or skin, sealing things in or out. So, maybe these oils will weigh wet hair down more because doesn’t penetrate inside with the water, but rather sits on top going nowhere. I think they may work well when used very sparingly on DRY hair. Some poly/sealing oils are: sunflower, safflower, corn (please correct and/or add to this list)

4. Popular hair oils I did not find a definitive answer: coconut, palm oil, palm kernel nut oil = these are “saturated” fatty oils so can’t figure out where they fit in the penetrating vs. sealing categories

Hmmmm, in light of Sisterslick’s explanation, perhaps should be looking at the SIZE of the oil molecules and not whether it is mono or poly? IDK . . . .

This is a great explanation.
I am glad you posted it because as I was reading it I was thinking about my own oil mix of grapseed, jojoba, almond, & evoo. I also use coconut oil sometimes. I think I need to use a separate oil to seal it because I after I have moisturized my hair and use my oil mix to seal..by the time I get home my hair is already needing more moisture. Maybe the oils that I use are seeping in but not able to "seal" in the moisture for a long time...?

Question:

Do the oils that penetrate need heat to penetrate?

Like deep conditioners aren't as effective without added heat or a buildup of body heat.

Can you really just put it on top of your hair "cold" and it'll get inside?

Question:

Do the oils that penetrate need heat to penetrate?

Like deep conditioners aren't as effective without added heat or a buildup of body heat.

Can you really just put it on top of your hair "cold" and it'll get inside?

yeah no heat needed but heat is good too , like a hot oil treatment!

My Mother knew this lady she worked with, non Ethnic, this was when I was a kid, but she had dry frizzy hair and my mom told me she used Olive Oil , warmed up and then wrapped in foil. her hair was smooth and lovely and soft after, so next thing my Mom was doing it for us :yep:

This is a great explanation.
I am glad you posted it because as I was reading it I was thinking about my own oil mix of grapseed, jojoba, almond, & evoo. I also use coconut oil sometimes. I think I need to use a separate oil to seal it because I after I have moisturized my hair and use my oil mix to seal..by the time I get home my hair is already needing more moisture. Maybe the oils that I use are seeping in but not able to "seal" in the moisture for a long time...?

just for the heck of it try using oil first after washing/cw'ing/rinsing , then add your products and see how your hair feels

i agree w/ gymfreak.
but some of the other info ur getting is off a bit, u can believe what u want...that's totally all u...but the only reason why u may think oil penetrate the hair shaft b/c some oils like jojoba oil for one, mimics human sebum. therefore these types of oils allow the SCALP to breath by being easily absorb through the skin, attracting and holding moisture and shine, and lubricates the hair shaft w/o the greasy feel.

*fyi* you know people always try to find a cure in a bottle...you are what you eat. if your hair is always dry, try to up the ante on water if you don't already. drinking water helps keep your hair well moisturized as well as your skin.

your hair may well be moisturized and you not know it. i mean what are are you putting on your hair to think it's not moisturized? are you looking for it to be wet? if your hair is bone dry...are you using water based products only? tap water dries the hair shaft....................................................................................you may need a water softener if your not using distilled water. check the water in your area. anytime you swim or poo....'wet' your hair, the chlorine in the water over time, builds up on the shaft and crystalizes, not to mention the other minerals deposits. Alcohols and cones may be a problem as well. so you may need to look at the whole picture....read, read, read! you may have to switch up your routine, kick some products to the curb, add a product, ante up you water, chelate your hair,....only you can determine what the underlining problem of your hair is by listening and analyzing your strands, and check ur eating.

and yes oils seals, water moisturize, it doesn't matter how well folks want to sugar coat it.

Back