Let's squash this right now!

well actually what I am saying here that is it IS moisturized and I believe oil is a part of the reason and for years water or watery products have never been a sufficient moisturizer FOR ME

and I dont even use Castor oil or Jojoba OIL , them being humectants, I KNOW they would be oils to be very careful with cause without moisture in the air they would draw moisture out of the hair. So I havent touched them, I dont like messing with things that are compicated for 'balance' unless I'm really prepared to stay on top of it

so whatever I'm getting off or wrong, I'm not alone. and others have said they feel the same way, so I guess we will all be wrong with oils in our hair feeling moisturized! if it aint broke....no need to fix anything. But its already been stated here a few times that its been proven some oils do absorb and have properties to moisturize.
cant really go against whats been proven. But I am not here to change anybody's mind, I will keep sealing my oils, because it is working and others can seal in the water, well actually I THINK I'm doing both with condition/water/oil/condition, I'm sealing in the water, then sealing in the oil :yep:

all i need to know is whats working for me. and it is!:yep:

gurrrllll my hair aint dry, :nono: not at all!

I will never see water as the only moisturizer because water alone does not leave my hair actually moisturized at all

I'll just keep letting my hair drink the oil it loves and let others say it only seals if they wanna!

i agree w/ gymfreak.
but some of the other info ur getting is off a bit, u can believe what u want...that's totally all u...but the only reason why u may think oil penetrate the hair shaft b/c some oils like jojoba oil for one, mimics human sebum. therefore these types of oils allow the SCALP to breath by being easily absorb through the skin, attracting and holding moisture and shine, and lubricates the hair shaft w/o the greasy feel.

*fyi* you know people always try to find a cure in a bottle...you are what you eat. if your hair is always dry, try to up the ante on water if you don't already. drinking water helps keep your hair well moisturized as well as your skin.

your hair may well be moisturized and you not know it. i mean what are are you putting on your hair to think it's not moisturized? are you looking for it to be wet? if your hair is bone dry...are you using water based products only? tap water dries the hair shaft....................................................................................you may need a water softener if your not using distilled water. check the water in your area. anytime you swim or poo....'wet' your hair, the chlorine in the water over time, builds up on the shaft and crystalizes, not to mention the other minerals deposits. Alcohols and cones may be a problem as well. so you may need to look at the whole picture....read, read, read! you may have to switch up your routine, kick some products to the curb, add a product, ante up you water, chelate your hair,....only you can determine what the underlining problem of your hair is by listening and analyzing your strands, and check ur eating.

and yes oils seals, water moisturize, it doesn't matter how well folks want to sugar coat it.

Last edited:
oh and I need to add what I said again at the very beginning of this that I am not saying water isnt needed, I am only saying oil does absorb and have conditioning/moisturizing properties and even without water I see benefit

put it this way

If I was on a deserted island I can bet any amount of money that if I only had oil or water to choose from, not both. if I only used oil it would save my hair, if I only used water with no oil it would jack my hair

I would pick the oil :yep:

ETA: that doesnt mean for some the answer to THIER HAIR wouldnt be water! But for me NAH oil anytime over any water :yep:

Last edited:
well actually what I am saying here that is it IS moisturized and I believe oil is a part of the reason and for years water or watery products have never been a sufficient moisturizer FOR ME

and I dont even use Castor oil or Jojoba OIL , them being humectants, I KNOW they would be oils to be very careful with cause without moisture in the air they would draw moisture out of the hair. So I havent touched them, I dont like messing with things that are compicated for 'balance' unless I'm really prepared to stay on top of it

so whatever I'm getting off or wrong, I'm not alone. and others have said they feel the same way, so I guess we will all be wrong with oils in our hair feeling moisturized! if it aint broke....no need to fix anything. But its already been stated here a few times that its been proven some oils do absorb and have properties to moisturize.
cant really go against whats been proven. But I am not here to change anybody's mind, I will keep sealing my oils, because it is working and others can seal in the water, well actually I THINK I'm doing both with condition/water/oil/condition, I'm sealing in the water, then sealing in the oil :yep:

all i need to know is whats working for me. and it is!:yep:

gurrrllll my hair aint dry, :nono: not at all!

I will never see water as the only moisturizer because water alone does not leave my hair actually moisturized at all

I'll just keep letting my hair drink the oil it loves and let others say it only seals if they wanna!

This is a very good thread :yep: I learned some things I didn't know before.

I knew that a bunch of oils penetrate and condition - still not true moisturizing imo, but I knew that they are very beneficial.

I had no idea about oils being humectants though!

It leads me to wonder exactly how much water they attract? I know if you leave a cup of glycerin out, it'll have a good amount of water in in the next day.

Are humectant oils a weaker or stronger humectant than glycerin?

I use jojoba oil and have used no other oil in my hair for months. Had no idea it's a humectant, but my hair responds very well to it.

In my siggy pic my hair was first wet down with very diluted leave in (like 5:1 ratio), then sectioned into about 6 sections and I applied about a dime size amount of jojoba oil to each section.

oh and I need to add what I said again at the very beginning of this that I am not saying water isnt needed, I am only saying oil does absorb and have conditioning/moisturizing properties and even without water I see benefit

put it this way

If I was on a deserted island I can bet any amount of money that if I only had oil or water to choose from, not both. if I only used oil it would save my hair, if I only used water with no oil it would jack my hair

I would pick the oil :yep:

ETA: that doesnt mean for some the answer to THIER HAIR wouldnt be water! But for me NAH oil anytime over any water :yep:

My hair needs both equally I think.

I would NEVER put oil on dry hair :nono: because my hair will get greasy fast. It's part of the reason I chose jojoba. It's lighter than other popular oils like evoo, castor and coconut.

I would NEVER wet my hair and not seal it with oil unless it already has enough oil in it... if I don't seal it gets dry. I cannot just co wash and go without any product after either.

I guess it is true that people's hair can just be different.

A little off topic:

I would pick coconuts. Coconut water for a leave in, coconut milk for a conditioner, a little coconut oil for sealing and you'd better believe I'd learn how to make soap out of it too :lol:

I knew that a bunch of oils penetrate and condition - still not true moisturizing imo, but I knew that they are very beneficial.

It leads me to wonder exactly how much water they attract? I know if you leave a cup of glycerin out, it'll have a good amount of water in in the next day.

I use jojoba oil and have used no other oil in my hair for months. Had no idea it's a humectant, but my hair responds very well to it.

In my siggy pic my hair was first wet down with very diluted leave in (like 5:1 ratio), then sectioned into about 6 sections and I applied about a dime size amount of jojoba oil to each section.

I would NEVER put oil on dry hair :nono: because my hair will get greasy fast. It's part of the reason I chose jojoba. It's lighter than other popular oils like evoo, castor and coconut.

I would NEVER wet my hair and not seal it with oil unless it already has enough oil in it... if I don't seal it gets dry. I cannot just co wash and go without any product after either.

A little off topic:

I would pick coconuts. Coconut water for a leave in, coconut milk for a conditioner, a little coconut oil for sealing and you'd better believe I'd learn how to make soap out of it too :lol:

Well actually girl I only said Jojoba oil was a humectant cause she did. I never really used it. I dont know that for sure, she said it, I just went along :lol:

But I have heard that Castor oil is! I dont know which is stronger , glycerine or Castor oil though!

oh and one last thing OILS DO MOISTURIZE! :poke: :poke: Neith just say it! :grin: :grin:

ok a matter of symantics or whatever, I dunno, but this I do know it CAN absorb, which means its not just 'sealing' right? RIGHT????

Last edited:

A little off topic:

HAHA so would I gurl, hands down! &our hair would be fine too! but we were talking just about oil and water remember!? :poke:

Well actually girl I only said Jojoba oil was a humectant cause she did. I never really used it. I dont know that for sure, she said it, I just went along :lol:

But I have heard that Castor oils is! I dont know which is stronger , glycerine or Castor oil though!

oh and one last thing OIL DO MOISTURIZE! :poke: :poke: Neith just say it! :grin:

ok a matter of symantics or whatever, I dunno, but this I do know it CAN absorb, which means its not just 'sealing' right? RIGHT

I googled it, a bunch of sources did say that jojoba is a humectant.

Maybe I should do a test and leave out some glycerin and jojoba oil to see which is stronger.

lol, I just don't believe they moisturize. They get in there and condition, soften and smooth things out, but it's not real moisturizing imo.

Stop trying to prod me into the dark side :lol:

Though it does seem like the jojoba and castor will lightly moisturize the hair since they are humectants. I'm going to assume that they aren't very powerful humectants just based on my use of jojoba oil for now.

I googled it, a bunch of sources did say that jojoba is a humectant.

Maybe I should do a test and leave out some glycerin and jojoba oil to see which is stronger.

lol, I just don't believe they moisturize. They get in there and condition, soften and smooth things out, but it's not real moisturizing imo.

Stop trying to prod me into the dark side :lol:

Though it does seem like the jojoba and castor will lightly moisturize the hair since they are humectants. I'm going to assume that they aren't very powerful humectants just based on my use of jojoba oil for now.
hehe come on over! :assimilat

yeah I dont think they are powerful either which is a good thing probably because then they wont draw as much moisture out of your hair if there isnt enough moisture in the air!

ok I will be happy being one of the few saying they moisturize and maybe not being technically correct! But I am even happier to have had the ones that came along, like you and helped me make some more sense out of it all and maybe people will not say they moisturize, but maybe some people will stop saying they only seal, when they can absorb!

that would be enough for me! :yep: but if people wanna keep saying it , they also might not be technically correct! :nono:

Last edited:
B4 joining LHCF I use to hate how thin and short my newly relaxed hair looked (1/08), now that my hair is 1 to 2 inches shy of APL and thicken up I'm getting more comforable wearing my hair out, but I'm in my own personal bootcamp for about 3 to 4 months and want to get my hair to APL by my next touch up which is sometime is SEPT, so I'm going to keep my hair up more often and baggie more often as well. I will wear it down maybe 25% of the time this summer and do only air-drying (maybe one or two times go get a wash & set at the salon)!

whew oils are like gold diamonds and pearls! I really need to try Castor Oil, I Havent yet and been meaning to. *add that to the list*

been hearing about it too much for too long

I guess the best one is the Jamaican Black Castor oil? Is that true or does it matter?

Jamaican Black Castor oil is Da Bomb Diggity!!!! :worship2: Go get some NOW!!!

Well, here is a very good link all about different oils and what they are good for. I found this very informative.
http://www.nappturality.com/index.php?showtopic=91994 You may have to be a member to read it. I listed some of them.

I recently relized that my hates oil of any kind. Unless I mix a little in butters. If I use it to seal, it makes my hair very very hard and crunchy feeling, even tho I know my hair is moisturized. My hair does not absorb it either, it just lays on my strands. I hate when I touch it it comes away all oily. Thats with any amount I use. So, I have stoped using it and my hair feels so much better and softer all day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jaswand (Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis)
Jaswand is a refigerant, emollient, demulcent and aphrodisiac. It stimulates hairgrowth and hair thickness.
Hibiscus helps in the reduction and prevention of graying, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]balding[/FONT][/FONT], hair-loss, dandruff, split-ends, and many
scalp disorders. It is also an excellent natural conditioner

Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis)
This oil is used in high grade! C[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]osmetics [/FONT][/FONT]and is considered a replacement for sperm whale oil. It is golden in color,
thin, and absorbs excellently into the skin. It is unaffected by temperature changes and can stand high heat
without going bad. It could be used as a moisturiser and conditioner in shampoos. It is also a very active
ingredient in treating skin problems like acne, psoriasis, and helps in the stimulation on hairgrowth

Baobab Oil : Adansonia digitata
An African tree steeped in mystery, legend and religious significance. The fruit provides an exquisite oil that is a rich and substantive moisturiser.

Blackcurrant Seed Oil : Ribes nigrum
A rich source of GLA and a superb moisturiser which can be used in place of evening primrose or borage seed oils.

Brazil Nut Oil : Bertholletia excelsa
An oil rich in proteins and vitamins E and A, this precious [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]gift[/FONT][/FONT] from the South American rainforest comes from the fruit (nut) of a tree that can grow for a thousand years. Brazil nuts, or para nuts, produce an oil that is a rich emollient and a moisturiser not too dissimilar to sesame oil

Camellia Oil : Camellia sinensis
A traditional oil used in the Far East and particularly in Japan for the protection and moisturisation of the skin and hair.

Marula Oil : clerocarya birrea(proposed)
An oil from the fruit of a tree much revered by the indigenous people of Southern Africa, who extract the oil themselves for cracked, dry or damaged skin. It is a prized cosmetic oil for both skin and hair, being similar to olive oil in composition

Meadowfoam Seed Oil : Limnanthes alba
An oil that is stable, non-greasy and rapidly absorbed.
This oil is ideal for those products where a soft, smooth, silky feel is required whether it be on skin or hair.

Pine Nut Oil : Pinus pinea
A mediterranean delicacy, the edible seeds are known as 'pignons' or 'pinocchi' and they yield a novel moisturising oil.

Poppy Seed Oil : Papaver orientale
Containing virtually no opiates, this must be the sister to hemp oil and could be used in any products where an interesting moisturiser is required with an emotive story line in the pack copy.

Rice Bran Oil : Oryza sativa
A moisturising oil, rich in gamma oryzanol
Soybean Oil : Glycine soja
This plant has been known and used by the Chinese for more than 4,000 years, though today most of the oil comes from the USA. This oil is a cost-effective base on which to prepare hair and body products where good honest moisturisation is required at a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]budget[/FONT][/FONT]
price.

Sweet Almond Oil : Prunus amygdalus dulcis
Much loved for generations, listed in the British Pharmacopoeia and an excellent choice for even the most simple of moisturisers

HTH

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Well, here is a very good link all about different oils and what they are good for. I found this very informative.
http://www.nappturality.com/index.php?showtopic=91994 You may have to be a member to read it. I listed some of them.

I recently relized that my hates oil of any kind. Unless I mix a little in butters. If I use it to seal, it makes my hair very very hard and crunchy feeling, even tho I know my hair is moisturized. My hair does not absorb it either, it just lays on my strands. I hate when I touch it it comes away all oily. Thats with any amount I use. So, I have stoped using it and my hair feels so much better and softer all day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jaswand (Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis)
Jaswand is a refigerant, emollient, demulcent and aphrodisiac. It stimulates hairgrowth and hair thickness.
Hibiscus helps in the reduction and prevention of graying, [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]balding[/FONT][/FONT], hair-loss, dandruff, split-ends, and many
scalp disorders. It is also an excellent natural conditioner

Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis)
This oil is used in high grade! C[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]osmetics [/FONT][/FONT]and is considered a replacement for sperm whale oil. It is golden in color,
thin, and absorbs excellently into the skin. It is unaffected by temperature changes and can stand high heat
without going bad. It could be used as a moisturiser and conditioner in shampoos. It is also a very active
ingredient in treating skin problems like acne, psoriasis, and helps in the stimulation on hairgrowth

Baobab Oil : Adansonia digitata
An African tree steeped in mystery, legend and religious significance. The fruit provides an exquisite oil that is a rich and substantive moisturiser.

Blackcurrant Seed Oil : Ribes nigrum
A rich source of GLA and a superb moisturiser which can be used in place of evening primrose or borage seed oils.

Brazil Nut Oil : Bertholletia excelsa
An oil rich in proteins and vitamins E and A, this precious [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]gift[/FONT][/FONT] from the South American rainforest comes from the fruit (nut) of a tree that can grow for a thousand years. Brazil nuts, or para nuts, produce an oil that is a rich emollient and a moisturiser not too dissimilar to sesame oil

Camellia Oil : Camellia sinensis
A traditional oil used in the Far East and particularly in Japan for the protection and moisturisation of the skin and hair.

Marula Oil : clerocarya birrea(proposed)
An oil from the fruit of a tree much revered by the indigenous people of Southern Africa, who extract the oil themselves for cracked, dry or damaged skin. It is a prized cosmetic oil for both skin and hair, being similar to olive oil in composition

Meadowfoam Seed Oil : Limnanthes alba
An oil that is stable, non-greasy and rapidly absorbed.
This oil is ideal for those products where a soft, smooth, silky feel is required whether it be on skin or hair.

Pine Nut Oil : Pinus pinea
A mediterranean delicacy, the edible seeds are known as 'pignons' or 'pinocchi' and they yield a novel moisturising oil.

Poppy Seed Oil : Papaver orientale
Containing virtually no opiates, this must be the sister to hemp oil and could be used in any products where an interesting moisturiser is required with an emotive story line in the pack copy.

Rice Bran Oil : Oryza sativa
A moisturising oil, rich in gamma oryzanol
Soybean Oil : Glycine soja
This plant has been known and used by the Chinese for more than 4,000 years, though today most of the oil comes from the USA. This oil is a cost-effective base on which to prepare hair and body products where good honest moisturisation is required at a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]budget[/FONT][/FONT]
price.

Sweet Almond Oil : Prunus amygdalus dulcis
Much loved for generations, listed in the British Pharmacopoeia and an excellent choice for even the most simple of moisturisers

HTH

spacer.gif

spacer.gif
Thank you for the addition of that information! :yep:

good stuff!

No problem. Sorry if someone can't read the thread link. Its called "What oils do What." Maybe the title can be googled and come up for the people that can't get it.

For some water is drying and adding oil is just another step in moisturizing , and yes what you said is exactly what I do, water/oil/ then other leave in or conditioner. well actually its this way

Condition/water/oil/condition w/leave in or conditioner again

The oil may just be one step

Sometimes for me oil is enough,but not typically

My hair behaves much better when I wet my hair, apply oils first and then conditioner. If I do it the other way around -water, conditioner and then oils- my hair dries out and becomes crispy or frizzy every single time. I don't know anything about the science behind it, I only know what works for my hair and what doesn't.:wink2:

I'm confused Neith, if they penetrate, condidtion and soften isnt that moisturizing? I do feel a difference on wet hair as opposed to dry hair but I still feel I gain moisture from it in that instance as well. I put oil on my edges nightly (dry) and i can see and feel the difference and it feels moisturized. It might not be the same as on wet hair, but still gaining benefit. I put it on my face or skin and its just soft soft soft, and supple, thats without water too. So I am confused at the statement that they dont moisturize

What is that benefit? moisture? I tend to agree with Neith. In fact was thiking about this just this AM...

OP thanks for starting the thread, it's been very informative, I only just started using natural oils last week and am still inthe process of working out which ones will work best for me. The information you guys have submitted have been a great help

Back