Locs!! -- Any members have them / had them / want them?

Odd One

Woah thanks a lot for bumping this!!!

My SO has been begging for locs, now he says im the hair expert and should know how to start locs.. but i had nooo idea since his hair is 1,5/2 inches long and finding te right products is like HELL around here :/

Lady Kay 21

I started my little brothers locs about a month ago using comb coils with aloe vera gel and jojoba oil. he only h ad about an inch of hair as well.....

lilmsjanet

my mom told me her cousin in Jamaica had locs but she wanted a change and wanted to take them out which everybody in my family was all like your going to have shave your head bald to take them out but she was all like hell naw i had these bad boys in for like 10 years now and she was not going to shave her head bald because her dreads reached her knees so she said what she did was cut the very tip of each dread and in a shower cap she emptied like 5 huge bottles of conditioner and some cowboy magic kept it on her head for a few days and she said when she was ready to comb them out it was like magic as if she just put them in or something because they were so easy to take out she now rocks her hair in a huge afro puff she says she wouldn't mind going back to dreads because there so easy for her to take out.

Fine 4s

I'd like to know how they maintain their hair. Specifically, do they do all that no poor, DC X1+ /week, low-mani, moisturize stuff that we do...and if now, what's the result?

Lady Kay 21

With locs you definitely dont have to do as much as a person with loose hair. Actually the less product the better..... A few years ago I was locking for about six months, when i decided i wasnt ready yet. However detangling or softening conditioners are a big NO NO! they will loosen the loc and your hair will either not loc or eventually weaken and break. In my opinion the best thing for locs is to use a natural shampoo once a week or every two weeks and do hot oil treatments instead of heavy deep conditioning. I also would only retwist once every 4 to six weeks because i didnt want to cause two much twisting and thin out my locs. ACV rinses are also good to remove buildup and add strength to the hair. I also would light ly oil my scalp when it was dry and occasionally spritz the actually length of the locs with a moisturizing spray. thats all!!

Fine 4s

With locs you definitely dont have to do as much as a person with loose hair. Actually the less product the better..... A few years ago I was locking for about six months, when i decided i wasnt ready yet. However detangling or softening conditioners are a big NO NO! they will loosen the loc and your hair will either not loc or eventually weaken and break. In my opinion the best thing for locs is to use a natural shampoo once a week or every two weeks and do hot oil treatments instead of heavy deep conditioning. I also would only retwist once every 4 to six weeks because i didnt want to cause two much twisting and thin out my locs. ACV rinses are also good to remove buildup and add strength to the hair. I also would light ly oil my scalp when it was dry and occasionally spritz the actually length of the locs with a moisturizing spray. thats all!!

So you did this for 6 months, correct? Did your hair loc up? How did you unloc? I'm wondering if it would be good for me to leave my hair alone for 6 months as well and just use tons and tons of lubricants to remove the baby locs. Would that help me retain much of my growth? :look:

Lady Kay 21

So you did this for 6 months, correct? Did your hair loc up? How did you unloc? I'm wondering if it would be good for me to leave my hair alone for 6 months as well and just use tons and tons of lubricants to remove the baby locs. Would that help me retain much of my growth? :look:

Yeah... I missed losse hair so I took them down. My hair wasnt fully loced so I was able to saturate them with detangler and conditioner and water and comb them out.. it took a few days.. but most hair take about a year two comepletely loc. depending on your hair texture and how you manage your hair while during the six months, I dont see why you couldnt use that as a method to grow out your hair. as long as you dont kep them in for too long.

Junebug D

I have definitely been feeling the urge to loc... but I am going to try to hold out until the end of the year before making any rash decisions.

nmomma

I don't have them but my two year old son has them, actually he'll be three in June. Here's a picture of him about a year ago on vacation. This was when they were just beginning to lock. They are alot longer now. My husband is West Indian so we thought it would be a nice way for him to identify with his Carribean heritage, so far we haven't had any negative comments about his hair.

Attachments

• DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 50

Raspberry

I'd like to know how they maintain their hair. Specifically, do they do all that no poor, DC X1+ /week, low-mani, moisturize stuff that we do...and if now, what's the result?

It's basically whatever you want to do - just avoid pomades and waxy products that can cause build-up, water based products or light oils that can easily be washed out are best. I wash my hair a few times a week, switch up shampoos a lot and I use whatever conditioner I want. I've done that from the beginning and my locs are soft as heck. If my scalp/hair ever feels dry I put organic coconut oil on damp hair or use a little Suave Milk & Honey as a leave-in. I also conditioner wash sometimes for scent and softness... Water and conditioner has really been the key for me.

I do a full retwist every 4-5 weeks. Since I wash my hair so much I end up half-twisting the first row or two around my edges for a neater appearance like once a week but I make sure not to do it tight so as not to stress them.

I have a very simple routine and my locs look great, they're growing nicely - can't wait to hit APL. Locs are also a nice way to achieve long hair without much fuss - I can't say this to everyone because some folks get all sensitive if you don't act like havin locs has to be extra deep. For me they're easy, natural, and sexy - nuthin more nuthin less.

Lady Kay 21

I don't have them but my two year old son has them, actually he'll be three in June. Here's a picture of him about a year ago on vacation. This was when they were just beginning to lock. They are alot longer now. My husband is West Indian so we thought it would be a nice way for him to identify with his Carribean heritage, so far we haven't had any negative comments about his hair.

He is just tooo cute with his baby locs :grin: !!!!!! I love it!!

Everything Zen

I think I might loc my hair went I turn 80 or something. I have already seen a few grey hairs but they're a shiny silver color. it would be so cool to have long silver dreads as an older woman. :yep:

redecouvert

i took down my 4 month babies locks
i was freeforming and loved every minute of it
It is just amazing to see hair evolve and change...
i just missed my loose hair too much

they started locking after the second month.
I didn't change much from my loose hair routine and documented what i use in my fotki
conditioner and deep conditioning were my best friends because my hair is soo dry!
Plus as i was freeforming, i knew my loose roots will benefit from it.

Last edited:

Lady Kay 21

i took down my 4 month babies locks
i was freeforming and loved every minute of it
It is just amazing to see hair evolve and change...
i just missed my loose hair too much

they started locking after the second month.
I didn't change much from my loose hair routine and documented what i use in my fotki
conditioner and deep conditioning were my best friends because my hair is soo dry!
Plus as i was freeforming, i knew my loose roots will benefit from it.

ITA at the bolded:yep:

nubinikki

I had locs for 5 years. I did them myself. I made them very small and, since my hair is baby fine, it took them almost a year to lock. I loved them but I was "going thru thangs :wallbash:" and made the decision to BC. I'm thinking about doing them again but I love playing with my coily-curly hair. Here's what they looked like before the BC--

My mother has had sisterlocs for about 9 years now. They're incredible. Here's a pic--

I started locs on my brother 3 years ago and they're thick like a lion's mane. Here's a pic--

Hairsofab

I had locs for a couple of years and didn't like it. I could never get past the awkward stage. I did a big chop and cut them off one day. I just realized recently that you can detangle them to undo them. I wish I would've known that back then.

Hairsofab

I had locs for 5 years. I did them myself. I made them very small and, since my hair is baby fine, it took them almost a year to lock. I loved them but I was "going thru thangs :wallbash:" and made the decision to BC. I'm thinking about doing them again but I love playing with my coily-curly hair. Here's what they looked like before the BC--

My mother has had sisterlocs for about 9 years now. They're incredible. Here's a pic--

You and your mom's locs are gorgeous.

Junebug D

I'm *this* close to starting locs myself now. I've been all over Fotki slobbering at other people's. :look: But... I'll give it at least 2 or 3 more months and even more Fotkis. I want to be certain that I won't miss my loose hair, and I need to know that I will make it through the awkward stage with my sanity intact. :grin:

LayneJ

I started locs on my brother 3 years ago and they're thick like a lion's mane. Here's a pic--

Wow! Your locs were beautiful, and your brother and mother's locs are beautiful, as well.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Lady Kay 21

JUST BEAUTIFUL:drunk::drunk:

1Aleeesha

I've always admired them when they are done neatly and kept up.

Right now I enjoy rollersets, cross-wraps and other bone straight looks, even a bone straight high ponytail on myself looks and feels great I love it so much.

But I have always thought maybe later in life, I would.

Patricia

Tried locs about 5 years ago. for about 6 months My dandruff issues wouldn't let me keep them. I absouletely love locs

nubinikki

Tried locs about 5 years ago. for about 6 months My dandruff issues wouldn't let me keep them. I absouletely love locs

My brother had the same issue. I suggested he stop shampooing...instead, wash with conditioner only and rinse with apple cider vinegar. It's been working for him too!

melodies815

Aloe vera gel also works wonders for dandruff as does frequent washing/conditioning. I never had an issue, though dandruff was a complaint of mine as a relaxed head.

I had locs for years and loved them. It was a season of my life that I loved immensely!

Christi