Long hair ladies, can I live vicariously through you?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I read all 1200 posts of this thread. I, too lost my length that I had when I first posted in 2012. I am happy to report that my hair has surpassed the length I had in 2012. But a set-back can be a set-up for a comeback and a come-up! :boxing:

Now, I have eight (8) braids. I wet my hair with water and S-Curl, then slather my hair in Shea butter and tightly braid my hair. When I let it go immediately after braiding, that braid hits below my waist. Then it shrinks up. I've not seen my braids this long since I was about 8 years old. Some of my longest hair is about 2-3 inches past my belly button. Hair this much past my belly button is a first for me, too.

My long hair stories:

This summer while in Georgia and Alabama, men would constantly stop me and tell me that my braids were beautiful. At Popeye's Chicken, one male customer asked if he could touch my hair and I let him. My mother was standing there with her cane, :bat:with back up, just in case something went down. :giggle: The young man getting my order together gave me EXTRA food in my order. He said it was because the wait was long and wanted to compensate me for the time. I think it was the hair!

The women cashiers at the various grocery stores and malls I visited would gaze at my hair and quietly say as they passed me my receipt, "I like your hair." Or, many women would say, "My baby, grand baby, etc has hair just like that."

Yesterday I was in Paris eating at a restaurant. I noticed the waitress gazing at my braids several times. Finally she said to me in French, "You use argon oil in your hair." It wasn't a question. I smiled and said, "No, I use Shea butter." She wasn't of African descent. Perhaps she has a baby with afro-textured hair. I don't know.

In Summer 2018, when it is steaming hot outside, I hope to do my hair by straightening it. Then I am going to put the front up and leave the back long with curls made with a curling iron. I am going to wear a crop top [whether they are in style or NOT] that reveals my stomach and some form fitting, low waisted pants. This allows me to better see my hair touching, laying on and over my behind.

I'm going to put on some make-up, large hoop earrings and some pumps and go shopping! While I am out, I am going to look at myself in EVERY SINGLE MIRROR that I can find and relish in this tailbone hair length that I hope to have in 2018! I'm going to do it early in the day, on a weekday, when few people are about. That is because too many people in the streets and stores block the mirrors and get in the way of the reflective store front glass!

Edited to add: I may even ask someone to take a photo of me so I can record the moment for posterity.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I read all 1200 posts of this thread. I, too lost my length that I had when I first posted in 2012. I am happy to report that my hair has surpassed the length I had in 2012. But a set-back can be a set-up for a comeback and a come-up! :boxing:

Now, I have eight (8) braids. I wet my hair with water and S-Curl, then slather my hair in Shea butter and tightly braid my hair. When I let it go immediately after braiding, that braid hits below my waist. Then it shrinks up. I've not seen my braids this long since I was about 8 years old. Some of my longest hair is about 2-3 inches past my belly button. Hair this much past my belly button is a first for me, too.

My long hair stories:

This summer while in Georgia and Alabama, men would constantly stop me and tell me that my braids were beautiful. At Popeye's Chicken, one male customer asked if he could touch my hair and I let him. My mother was standing there with her cane, :bat:with back up, just in case something went down. :giggle: The young man getting my order together gave me EXTRA food in my order. He said it was because the wait was long and wanted to compensate me for the time. I think it was the hair!

The women cashiers at the various grocery stores and malls I visited would gaze at my hair and quietly say as they passed me my receipt, "I like your hair." Or, many women would say, "My baby, grand baby, etc has hair just like that."

Yesterday I was in Paris eating at a restaurant. I noticed the waitress gazing at my braids several times. Finally she said to me in French, "You use argon oil in your hair." It wasn't a question. I smiled and said, "No, I use Shea butter." She wasn't of African descent. Perhaps she has a baby with afro-textured hair. I don't know.

In Summer 2018, when it is steaming hot outside, I hope to do my hair by straightening it. Then I am going to put the front up and leave the back long with curls made with a curling iron. I am going to wear a crop top [whether they are in style or NOT] that reveals my stomach and some form fitting, low waisted pants. This allows me to better see my hair touching, laying on and over my behind.

I'm going to put on some make-up, large hoop earrings and some pumps and go shopping! While I am out, I am going to look at myself in EVERY SINGLE MIRROR that I can find and relish in this tailbone hair length that I hope to have in 2018! I'm going to do it early in the day, on a weekday, when few people are about. That is because too many people in the streets and stores block the mirrors and get in the way of the reflective store front glass!

Edited to add: I may even ask someone to take a photo of me so I can record the moment for posterity.
Sounds like my intentions for 2018! Lol go head girl!

caribeandiva

Human being
Yup. I do my normal moisturize routine then seal the ends with a touch of Blue Magic. I don't ever put it in my scalp just on the tippy tips (ends). It works like...like Magic Lol.
Not to derail this thread but I’m looking for a thicker sealant. Shea butter flakes too much. How is Blue Magic vs castor oil?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Not to derail this thread but I’m looking for a thicker sealant. Shea butter flakes too much. How is Blue Magic vs castor oil?

Well since I have only tried castor oil maybe once or twice, I did not stick with it. It must have not wowed me enough. With Blue Magic it was love at first try. And the best part is that I paid only $2.25 at Dollar General.

I have been digging out of the same jar for 3 months now and the jar is half way full. That goes to show you how little bit I need. It'll take me until April to finish this jar.
It's a great lubricant for my 4C 4B ends that like to curl up on each other. Blue Magic helps my ends to slip past each other.

caribeandiva

Human being
Well since I have only tried castor oil maybe once or twice, I did not stick with it. It must have not wowed me enough. With Blue Magic it was love at first try. And the best part is that I paid only $2.25 at Dollar General.

I have been digging out of the same jar for 3 months now and the jar is half way full. That goes to show you how little bit I need. It'll take me until April to finish this jar.
It's a great lubricant for my 4C 4B ends that like to curl up on each other. Blue Magic helps my ends to slip past each other.
Thank you so much for answering! I’m just now realizing that my hair has been stuck between SL and APL because i was barely moistuzing it correctly. I was DCing, trimming and protective styling but not taking care of the daily moisturizing. I have super dry hair. I’ve been doing the LCO method and i can tell a huge difference! This better be the last piece of the darn puzzle cuz I’m ready for MBL hair!!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Thank you so much for answering! I’m just now realizing that my hair has been stuck between SL and APL because i was barely moistuzing it correctly. I was DCing, trimming and protective styling but not taking care of the daily moisturizing. I have super dry hair. I’ve been doing the LCO method and i can tell a huge difference! This better be the last piece of the darn puzzle cuz I’m ready for MBL hair!!

Speaking of last piece, blue magic happened to be my cherry on top of things. when I put it on my ends the first time I thought "this is it", the one thing that glued everything together. You don't have nothing to lose but except maybe 12 quarters.

And I didn't even explain to you how much it seals in moisture :drunk:

FoxxyLocs

I was lucky enough to get a quick glimpse of your hair when you posted your picture in another thread. It truly is magnificent! You are at full and thick hip length, with some hair close to tailbone length, right? Your hair is absolutely gorgeous and the length and thickness are Repunzel-like!

Thank you! Yes I'm grazing TBL now. Still deciding if I'm going to let it keep growing.

wheezy807

My grandmother (father's mother) swore by blue magic and royal crown. She greased her scalp and hair with it and she has some gorgeous hair.:yep:

SmilingElephant

LOL that is so funny because it is Blue Magic that I use! So far so good! You know that good feeling you get when you smell Apple wood bacon frying in the morning? Well that's the feeling I get when I open a jar of blue magic. It's that deep sometimes.

I cannot tolerate you at this hour, ma'am! :lachen::lachen::lachen: OMG I miss how me and you used to cut up back in the day!:grin:

I tried using Blue Magic on my hair as a leave-in on my wet hair, under my ecostyler, last year. To be honest, it kinda worked, but when I went to wash it out (with sulfate shampoo)...twice :shocked:...It felt like it was just not coming out of my hair!!! :nono: It took about 3 more washes to finally get all that stuff out my hair.