Long hair sightings in Africa

ps. I actually do know/knew quite a few people with relatively long hair in Naija (natural and relaxed)...maybe they arent the masses but there definitely are some women out here with hair longer than BSL.

kinkycurlygurl

Yea I noticed with Nigerian friends of mine that it's hard to convince them that healthy hair practices work because they tend to think it's easier for AAs to grow their hair long because of mixed genetics.

Damn that "good hair" myth :hammer:

When are we just going to accept that there's no such thing as "good hair". There's hair that looks great because it gets good care.

CurlyMoo

To be honest i dont think black women with long hair are any more striking that those with short(er) hair .I think what make us so beautiful is our features,hair is an adornment ,to some is an enhancer,as long as it's healthy it's beautiful.

Long hair is a symbol of femininity.
It can really soften the features.
There is a certain youthfulness and vitality it brings.

I don't think long hair makes you more beautiful but it will make you appear more feminine and womanly which is attractive to men.

CurlyMoo

Much colder and drier areas. I'm from the Mid-west and although it's very humid in summer, we had many more colder, drier months. Most people coming from warmer or milder areas or tropical had problems, especially with the hard water. S.F. is such a small area compared to the rest of the States and this hard-a$$ed crap we call water. You're still coastal...but the more inland you get, that's where you get all this dry air etc. :nono: My hair always grew fast and I could retain the length, but I did go through a period of not taking care of my hair. But when I lived in the Caribbean, it was so easy...even for my nails...no hand-nails. Folks who know me know it's true...that 1 inch per month growth for hair on average here was 3 inches monthly there. And I don't have thyroid issues either.

This is one of the reasons I want a change in climate.
I live in the midwest and recently found out that I have hard water.
Since I moved here over a year ago, my hair has been at a standstill.
It has not budged an inch, I maintain the same length I trimmed it to a few months after I moved here.

I has not gotten very hot, dry with very little humidity these last two summers.

It's time to move to a tropical climate STAT!

Last edited:

roxie31

I think this was true back in the 1600-1800's. Slavery changed everything, everywhere. I wonder what was going on in Africa during that time?
The trans Atlantic slave trade was going on in West Africa depleting Africa of it's most important resource, human resource of 12-15 million youth ages 10-30 years old. Not to mention the constant warfare by slave trading empires that cut off the gold and salt trade that formerly created the richest kingdoms on earth like the medieval west African empire of Mali.