Long hair sightings in Africa

Mz.MoMo5235

When it comes to the big move I dont think it has anything to do with dry vs humid air. I think hair goes through just as much of a culture shock as the body.

I've been in India now for 7 almost 8mos now and I thought the humid tropic climate would do wonders for my hair. Instead I've had the biggest set back I've ever had. My hair hates it here. Yet in the states when I'm in a humid area my hair thrives.

But its not just weather, there is a change in water all together, change in food and diet, nutrition, products. Its very scary for hair to leave its home lmao

NaijaNaps

I can only really speak for West Africa (Nigeria and Ghana) but have traveled to Tanzania and did not notice any healthier/longer hair there either. It's really a shame but the state of haircare is a mess. People are more focused on the style than the health of hair.

Case in point: every chance she gets, my grandma comments on how I should try to keep my hair neat, how for a woman my age to have messy (ahem, natural) hair means that men wont find me attractive :rolleyes: Neat hair to my grandma is either tight braids or an even tighter weave-on (aka weave). Um no thanks grandma. I love you but I also love my edges. She's even offered to pay for me to get my hair "done."

I know black women throughout the Diaspora aren't necessarily focused on healthy haircare either but it just pains me when I'm back home and all I see are weaves and braids, which would be fine but they are way too tight and people aren't usually moisturizing them to keep their actual hair healthy.
And the ladies that do have their hair out, it's mostly damaged. I think people no longer know how to care for their real hair because they've been relying on braids/weaves.

I wish there was a healthy hair movement there or at least more healthy hair role models. A friend put me onto http://naturalnigerian.com/ and I'm sure there are other examples - hopefully for those that relax too. Just glad that it's finally happening

Sort of ff topic:
I just think it's hilarious when in Nigeria people ask me if I'm Jamaican because of my hair - I usually rock twists. I'm like no fool! I'm Nigerian AND natural. Yes the two can co-exist :lachen:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Every single time I've visited Nigeria, the hair and haircare practices where soo sad.

RegaLady

The haircare practices may be bad, true. I would think they have more important things to worry about. Many black women, put ALOT of time and energy into growing hair. I can imagine haircare practices not being on the top of the list and I don't judge them for that.

Mz.MoMo5235

This thread really makes me sad though. I dont know about the other ladies but I know several of my friends and my self included thought that the hair scene in Africa would be wonderful.

I think we assume this because the excuse we often use for having bad hair practices outside of Africa was that we were torn from our homes and cut off from our background there for never learning how to love and care for our hair the way we would have knowing our pasts. But then to learn its just as bad there? Kinda hurts a bit.

As a whole black people have lost how to handle our hair and love our self for what God has made us.

That's why I'm grateful for website like these that assures me we are getting out of the dark ages of hair

NaijaNaps

The haircare practices may be bad, true. I would think they have more important things to worry about. Many black women, put ALOT of time and energy into growing hair. I can imagine haircare practices not being on the top of the list and I don't judge them for that.

:perplexed

I'm not going to assume... so please clarify.

My Friend

This thread really makes me sad though. I dont know about the other ladies but I know several of my friends and my self included thought that the hair scene in Africa would be wonderful.

I think we assume this because the excuse we often use for having bad hair practices outside of Africa was that we were torn from our homes and cut off from our background there for never learning how to love and care for our hair the way we would have knowing our pasts. But then to learn its just as bad there? Kinda hurts a bit.

As a whole black people have lost how to handle our hair and love our self for what God has made us.

That's why I'm grateful for website like these that assures me we are getting out of the dark ages of hair

I think this was true back in the 1600-1800's. Slavery changed everything, everywhere. I wonder what was going on in Africa during that time?

My Friend

I disagree.

Ogoma

I agree to an extent. There are some women that could spend the time and resources taking care of their hair, but prefer to spend the time and resources installing and buying the latest extensions. There are women that want to have the same hairstyles they see on wealthier women and in the media, but can barely afford it so go the cheap route which leads to awful hair. There are also women that do not have the time or resources to devote to hair and it seems this group of women seem to have the healthiest heads of hair because they stay in plaits and other protective styles. They are also considered unsophisticated. They are probably various groups of women we never come in contact to or rarely see their hair so most of us wouldn't be in a position to comment on their hair. There is no one African woman nor one African hair experience.

RegaLady

:perplexed

I'm not going to assume... so please clarify.

I disagree.

I agree to an extent. There are some women that could spend the time and resources taking care of their hair, but prefer to spend the time and resources installing and buying the latest extensions. There are women that want to have the same hairstyles they see on wealthier women and in the media, but can barely afford it so go the cheap route which leads to awful hair. There are also women that do not have the time or resources to devote to hair and it seems this group of women seem to have the healthiest heads of hair because they stay in plaits and other protective styles. They are also considered unsophisticated. They are probably various groups of women we never come in contact to or rarely see their hair so most of us wouldn't be in a position to comment on their hair. There is no one African woman nor one African hair experience.

I have been to Nigeria, and having long hair is the least of their worries( or should be:look:)... Healthy hair, yes. Long hair?... Seeing this is a hair board, I'll stick to the topic.

Last edited:

My Friend

I have been to Nigeria, and having long hair is the least of their worries( or should be:look:)... Healthy hair, yes. Long hair?... Seeing this is a hair board, I'll stick to the topic.

If they have the time and the money to get braids and weaves then hair is one of their priorities.

I have Nigerian friends who ask for my help to grow their hair long. They do want long hair. When one of my friends hair got to EL, you would have thought she was Tailbone.

IMHO, women prefer long hair. Especially, women who have never had it. If you know that you can cut your hair into a Halle Berry pixie and have wsl in two years is different than a woman who has to struggle to get to APL.

I also find that women who can't or think they can't grow long hair will downplay their desire for long hair. These same women spend $$$ on weaves and braids. They also try to make wanting long hair seem trivial in the bigger scheme of things. Don't believe the hype :nono:

Last edited:

Maa Maa omo mti

I think this was true back in the 1600-1800's. Slavery changed everything, everywhere. I wonder what was going on in Africa during that time?
COLONIZATION.

SAME THING THAT HAPPENED TO NATIVE AMERICANS HAPPENED TO AFRICANS WHO STAYED BEHIND. THEY JUST COULDN'T KILL MAJORITY OF US OFF:ohwell: (sorry about the caps)

OT: not to you MF but I'm just amazed on how little consideration people give regarding Africa and its state of being during the time slavery was going on in the US.

Also you have to understand that most european countries did not leave africa till the 60s,(SA till 90s) so the self image/mentality of the natives Africans have always been warped to consider a certain group of people better than others.

Let's not kid ourselves Africans have the same self image issues as African Americans and that all stems from the same thing.

longinghair

I am 100% west African; born and bred here. What I can say is that Africa is so diverse, different cultures and religions and Hair Practices! Where I come from (northern Nigeria) most of people have APL to BSL 4A-4B hair. That's coz we hardly do fake hair in any form. We have cornrows in 100% of the time, we cover our hair outside the home, some don't even do relaxers (but most do). But I have never seen 4B hair MBL except here and YouTube. It's so exciting but no one here believes me. Oh well.

Mz.MoMo5235

COLONIZATION.

SAME THING THAT HAPPENED TO NATIVE AMERICANS HAPPENED TO AFRICANS WHO STAYED BEHIND. THEY JUST COULDN'T KILL MAJORITY OF US OFF:ohwell: (sorry about the caps)

OT: not to you MF but I'm just amazed on how little consideration people give regarding Africa and its state of being during the time slavery was going on in the US.

Also you have to understand that most european countries did not leave africa till the 60s,(SA till 90s) so the self image/mentality of the natives Africans have always been warped to consider a certain group of people better than others.

Let's not kid ourselves Africans have the same self image issues as African Americans and that all stems from the same thing.

Its true. Its really not spoken about in regards to what was going on in Africa while the slave trade calmed down and came to some what of a stop (I say some what because just cause there wasnt slaves being imported to the states any more doesnt mean they werent else were).

I never even thought about it actually til just now. I feel like a douche bag now :(

Ogoma

COLONIZATION.

I agree with your general point, but if my memory serves me well colonization of most parts of sub-Sahara Africa began during or just before the 1800s. I think the major influences during the period noted from 1600-1800 were trade.

Ogoma

Eh they have hair salons, hair braiders, etc. I mean we could all be thinking about more important things, but we don't all the time. I guess I don't really understand your point.

JudithO

I am 100% west African; born and bred here. What I can say is that Africa is so diverse, different cultures and religions and Hair Practices! Where I come from (northern Nigeria) most of people have APL to BSL 4A-4B hair. That's coz we hardly do fake hair in any form. We have cornrows in 100% of the time, we cover our hair outside the home, some don't even do relaxers (but most do). But I have never seen 4B hair MBL except here and YouTube. It's so exciting but no one here believes me. Oh well.

lol... I believe you.... you are from the north, and I know most northerners have long predominantly because it is acceptable to walk around in cornrows and protective styles....

Come down to Abuja, Lagos, the states in the east, rivers etc..... You will hardly see anyone except the older women with cornrows... it's not even socially acceptable... Last time I went home (Abuja).. It was so hard for me to walk out with my hair cos of all the comments from friends and family. I had to get it braided.

Even when my mum comes here to see me... all she talks about is when I'm getting a relaxer.... Then I blow out my hair for her to see.. and she is like "Wow.... you have all this hair... I told you... you and your sister have beautiful hair naturally... If I were you i'd perm it and put in some big curls so everyone can die of jealousy... "... clearly she missed the point... Ive accepted that natural hair will NEVER be acceptable for anyone my age to anyone in my parents generation... The change will happen in our generation and that of our children hopefully).

JudithO

I disagree... Born and raised in Nigeria... Hair is very very important to people... People will pay anything to get their hair looking good... Only difference is hair is very cheap to get done so nobody really talks about it. There was this lady that had really long MBL hair when I started college in Nigeria... and we would all gather around her and play with her hair... We concluded it must be her genes... lol... In reality, she only relaxed 2ce a year (her excuse was she was getting old and its not good to expose her aging body to chemicals all the time), she was in cornrows every time, washed it and redid every 2 weeks "cos her scalp was itchy"...... All she was really doing was stretching relaxers, washing regularly and PS'ing without even knowing it....

Hair is very important... We just don't think black African people (excluding people from the north like fulani's ) who aren't mixed can have long hair.... If we thought it was possible.. People will do whatever to have long hair.

Raspberry

Hair is very important... We just don't think black African people (excluding people from the north like fulani's ) who aren't mixed can have long hair.... If we thought it was possible.. People will do whatever to have long hair.

Yea I noticed with Nigerian friends of mine that it's hard to convince them that healthy hair practices work because they tend to think it's easier for AAs to grow their hair long because of mixed genetics.

almond eyes

Even the poorest of the poor have their hair hooked up in Africa. I remember growing up with my Nigerian dad and he would always tell my mother never to cut our hair because in his culture you don't take scissors to a woman's hair nor do you touch peoples heads. In the Yoruba culture the head is the center of power. Best Almond Eyes

coolsista-paris

Im from east africa .as a child i had long thick hair..it was straightened before protective styling (blowdryer.hot comb ) it was so.long and grew fast that i got my head shaved at least 5 times in my life (like à.boy!!!!!). I.have an aunt natural 4 something .she has always been natural in ps and is waist lenght. 2other aunts are relaxed ,at mbl for.both ...one stretches relaxers the other doesnt.1baggys à lot! I think they just have the good method. Others in family had great hair then.relaxed without.taking care properly .thinking.to wait till next relaxer .....and breakage.for.thèm.

Last edited:

fairyhairy

Well the term Africa is used such a manner that you would think everyone was the same. It annoys me - I was going somewhere with but I forget got distracted lol

Last edited:

almond eyes

Yes, of course Africa is a continent. When I speak of my own experiences it can seem that I tend to over generalise. But I need to clarify that while I don't know everything I am a multi ethnic African woman and I have lived in and visited a several African countries. And in my observations even when I have been post to the war torn areas, African women are big on grooming their hair. I have even seen wigs on refugee camps. My family is a bit different in that there was a lof of mxing between different countries so I just can't be bothered with getting so specific yes culturally speaking their are some big differences I am a pan African in my view of Africa.. Best Almond Eyes

almond eyes

My whole purpose in starting this discussion is not to bring about any deep debates but to discuss the topic of hair. My main premises is that having long hair is not so much of anomoly for African women of the diaspora regardless of hair texture. So that can be an insipiration for all of us no matter where we are in the world. Best Almond Eyes

fairyhairy

Like i said, i find the description of Africans as a monolithic group annoying, rubs me the wrong way always has done. Same as when Europe is talked of as if it were one place

lol, this is LHCF make a generalization and expect a debate

Last edited:

Spongebob

i think in some parts of africa certainly where i'm from, the majority doesn't afford straighteners or going to the hair salon, so their hair is heat free, also they tend to eat fresh food, and as most people dont walk around with afros most women have their hair braided or some other protective style

interesting discussion. Its easy to generalize but ofcourse there are many factors- Ive posted about this before and again I see too much generalizing/judging. I live in Naija now and Ive lived outside naija 13+ years but what really is lacking re: natural hair is just examples and education. A lot of people have so many ideas and theories about natural hair that are so false. Time and convenience are a big issue almost as big as style in terms of the choices people make.