Long haired ladies, do you hide your hair?

lonei

I was just wondering because I notice that most people bun it almost everyday or do some protective style. I use to be like this, but now I feel good wearing it out/down almost everyday, I do all different styles but I dont restrict myself in anyway. What about you, do you hide you hair? Why? Do you wish you didnt have to?

atlien11

I dont hide my hair. I bun it up after i go running or do a CW. I actually do alot of rollersets when the new growth get fierce, so in a sense, i guess i am hidng the new growth. ;)

Allandra

lonei said:
I was just wondering because I notice that most people bun it almost everyday or do some protective style. I use to be like this, but now I feel good wearing it out/down almost everyday, I do all different styles but I dont restrict myself in anyway. What about you, do you hide you hair? Why? Do you wish you didnt have to?
I wear my hair up most of the time (for convenience not so much for restriction). Besides being convenient for me, I don't want everyone's hands in my hair (which is one reason why I don't wear it down at work). The agency I currently work at, I've been at since January 2001, and I've worn my hair down ONE TIME here. :lol: It doesn't bother me at all. I find it strange that it bothers other people that I don't wear it down often. :lol: Around family and friends, I don't mind wearing my hair down because they're used to it.

Country gal

Lovely Z keeps her hair up. I didn't recognize her today with her hair down. I like wearing twists as a protective style. Lately I have been wearing my hair out. I think it is similar to working out and keeping in shape. At first you are very disiciplined and get in shape. Next you start to loosen up on your eating habits, next you start to skip workouts and then you start gaining the weight back. I feel the protective styles help to retain lenght. if you wear your hair out all the time than you are stunting your growth.

camellia

I wear a bun just about every day but I do it more to keep my hair out of my face and out of my babies' sticky little hands than to "hide" it.

My hair tangles very easily, so a braided bun is usually the best option for me. I hate the way my hair feels so heavy and hot on the back of my neck when I wear it down. In the winter it's not so bad but in the summer, ugh...:down:

I wear my hair down when DH and I go on our "dates", and sometimes for special occasions.

sweetcashew

I don't hide my length at all. I wear my hair out every day. I think it stems from High school where the principal made me wear my hair in a bun because it was just to much hair.
So now I guess it's like a rebellion. I just don't want to wear my hair up. Period! In the last year I've probably done a ponytail once and it was later in the day when it got too humid to wear it hanging.

lonei

sweetcashew said:
I don't hide my length at all. I wear my hair out every day. I think it stems from High school where the principal made me wear my hair in a bun because it was just to much hair.
So now I guess it's like a rebellion. I just don't want to wear my hair up. Period! In the last year I've probably done a ponytail once and it was later in the day when it got too humid to wear it hanging.

It looks good too! Has it stunted your growth at all?

sweetcashew

lonei said:
It looks good too! Has it stunted your growth at all?

Thank you!
I don't think it has stunted my growth. But I must admit that I do lose hairs from people grabbing it in the train because it's usually in people's way. And I do lose hair from it getting tangled.
I just really believe that I should look the way I want to every day so if I want that 'look' I'll do it regardless.
I understand if you're on a challenge and have goals but I don't set hair goals at all. I just go with how I feel!
My hair doesn't do well with pretective styling for some odd reason.

Shaniquah

It seems like those with long hair probably bun it a lot to protect their hair for growth - that's one of the reasons I'm not going to rollerset my hair weekly like I normally do.

krissyprissy

I wore my hair up during my pregnancy, now after the baby is born I've been wearing my hair down in order to feel sexy agian. But my hair is paying for it after I just swept the bathroom floor because hair is everywhere now. I think I will have to go back to the bun or french roll and only wear my hair down on special occasions.

Blu217

I've never worn a protective style, but I do wear a lot of ponytails between washes after my rollerset curls stop curling. Almost never a bun tho. I have some hair on the bathroom floor but a little shedding everyday is normal--and my hair still grows like a weed anyway. I checked it this morning and I'm getting dangerously close to bra strap. Last I looked, it was armpit.

I dunno. The point of me having hair is to enjoy it. I'm casual about it; I take care of it but since it does well without a lot of input from me, I am more of a hair dabbler than anything else.

MizAvalon

I don't know if "hiding it" is the phrase I would use, but I do wear my hair up a lot. Especially this time of year when it's hot and humid and any kind of "style" probably wouldn't hold anyway.

KiniKakes

Yeah i wear my hair up everyday.... so most ppl are surprised by the length when I take it down. I plan to wear it out a little more often once ive reached my length of bra-strap. And then once i've reached mid-back i ultimately plan to wear it out on a more regular basis.

I do miss wearing it out.... i dont like to hide it. :( I definitely feel sexier and more attractive with my hair down and around my face. But..... i know that my hair thrives in this unattractive oily bun. So for now i just view it as a temporary sacrafice, for a long-term gain. :)

goldensugar23

I never wear protective styles.I wear my hair out mostly all the time.Maybe In a ponytail once in a blue corn moon.I protect my hair my wrapping it or covering it with my trusty silk doo-rag at home.I feel the air at home can be very dry and damaging to your hair.

cocosweet

I tend to keep my hair in a bun, twists, or braids. When my hair is out, I think I tinker with it too much. My hair seems to do better when I keep my hands out of it.

blackbarbie

I wear my hair out most of the time but as I get closer and closer to the time to get a perm, I mainly bun it (just b/c the new growth is too unbearable for me to rollerset). If I wear it pinned up any other time, it's not necessarily to "hide" it, but I do it more for a style; like the cute "messy" updo look that you see on a lot of people.

Isis

No, I don't hide my hair at all. I love wearing it down. I also love my braided bun and side bun which I wear as a style more than for protection. I love my ponytails too.

MizaniMami

I'm not a long hair-ed one, but I am in awe reading this thread. I can't wait until I am able to post in these. Lol, I'm such a groupie.

*back to reading*

Doremie13

I like to wear my hair down. When I was stretching, I wore braidouts so I didn't have to manipulate my hair much. Now, I've been alternating between washes with a "loop" bun one week and wearing my flatironed hair down the next.

Not combing my hair, keeping it moisturized and not blowdrying has helped it grow tremendously and remain healthy even though I wear it down a lot. It's never been this long or healthy! :D