Loose twist vs tight twist?

contsantia

Hey all!
I am going on vaca next week and i am going to make my protective style 2 strand twist. I am thinking of doing loose 2 strand twist a la Cipriana :) I am wondering if the loose twist will withstand swiming and sand etc? Thanks!

JinaRicci

By loose you mean single twists? I'd say sure so long as they're not loose as in slack so that you can rinse/wash the salt w/o getting matted hair. Have fun!

Nonie

Box braids with your own hair would be better if you plan on swimming a lot.

Miss AJ, unfortunately for me, this would lead to matting something awful. My 4B hair mats and threatens to lock if I get it wet repeatedly and it's braided w/o extensions. I have better luck when I have extensions as they keep the three strands of each braid somewhat separated so they don't get glued together.

Twists would be better for me.

Chameleonchick

Miss AJ, unfortunately for me, this would lead to matting something awful. My 4B hair mats and threatens to lock if I get it wet repeatedly and it's braided w/o extensions. I have better luck when I have extensions as they keep the three strands of each braid somewhat separated so they don't get glued together.

Twists would be better for me.

Nonie My hair the same way.

OP to answer your question I rather do the tight twists since you are going to be getting them wet often.

manter26

If you were going to a pool, would suggest tight braids or twists- whichever your hair likes. But since there's sand, I would just wear a puff so you can rinse all the sand out daily.

Miss AJ

It is perhaps because of how you twist. Do you twirl strands before wrapping them around each other when twisting? @Miss AJ

No, I tried that once but my fingers/hands were being stupid and couldn't get it right so I gave up. Then I tried braiding the roots but I hated doing that cuz it looked weird.

Nonie

No, I tried that once but my fingers/hands were being stupid and couldn't get it right so I gave up. Then I tried braiding the roots but I hated doing that cuz it looked weird.

:rofl: @ the bold. Too funny!

OK, gotcha! Plus if braids work for you, then that's good. You don't need to learn the crazy way some of us twist. That's like me trying to get flat-twists. It's more work than I care to put in. And since single twists work for me and cornrows hold well for me, I'm a'ight not learning flat-twists. Can't even be bothered to. :look:

Nonie

manter26 What about shrinkage? *clutching pearls* I cannot imagine washing my hair loose, let alone playing in the sea or pool with hair loose. I think I need to lie down. :ill:

Miss AJ

Nonie, I honestly wouldn't mind learning the crazy twistie ways (lol) cuz I love how twists look on me, I just wish I could swim in mine.

Nonie

@Nonie, I honestly wouldn't mind learning the crazy twistie ways (lol) cuz I love how twists look on me, I just wish I could swim in mine.

Aww Miss AJ...if you do learn, you will be able to swim in yours coz I've been swimming lately shampooing my hair and I haven't had to redo a single twist yet. Mind you, so far, my hair has remained pretty dry except for the sides, and more recently the back, so swimming hasn't really been a factor at all. But yeah, except for the handful of twists that my HIH disease has not been able to leave well alone, the rest are holding up well 3 weeks and counting which means 6 washes and today will be the 7th.

I think the crazy twisting will come when you stop watching yourself in the mirror and just decide whether you'll twirl anti-clockwise or clockwise. Once you decide on that, then the wrapping will be opposite to that. After a while it becomes natural to do and your fingers will just move the right way. I think it can be confusing if you're doing it and trying to look in the mirror at the same time. That reverse image in the mirror has a way of being very confusing since it's doing opposite of what you're doing and throwing you off.

Better yet, try it on someone first. My baby sister was my guinea pig when I was learning.

contsantia

I can't do braids,, well i can but the take down is a b****, i always get impatient and end up knoting my hair. I was hoping loose 2 strand twist wld hold up because they look faster to make.

Nonie

I can't do braids,, well i can but the take down is a b****, i always get impatient and end up knoting my hair. I was hoping loose 2 strand twist wld hold up because they look faster to make.

They will hold up if you twirl before you twist. IF you just wrap the two strands around each other, you'll end up with knot city.

manter26

manter26 What about shrinkage? *clutching pearls* I cannot imagine washing my hair loose, let alone playing in the sea or pool with hair loose. I think I need to lie down. :ill:

I wear puffs and WnG with few problems so I'd rather deal with that than sand. I cannot stand sand. It gets everywhere and it's so hard to get out of hair. If I had my hair in braids I'd find sand weeks later even after multiple washings.

contsantia

manter26 said:
I wear puffs and WnG with few problems so I'd rather deal with that than sand. I cannot stand sand. It gets everywhere and it's so hard to get out of hair. If I had my hair in braids I'd find sand weeks later even after multiple washings.

Ya im afraid of that too