LOTS OF QUESTIONS ABOUT BRAIDS

preciousstone

everyone i know who braids.. have the worst edges and dont wash it for the entire time they have it in. am considering braids (altho from the ppl i know, it's kind eehhhh).. but i know you ladies are the experts on how to do it right. so here are my questions.

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? did you personally experience thinned edges?
2. do you cornrow? box braids? any particular style?
3. how do you wash your braids without walking around with drenched braids?
- does it take a long time to dry?
- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids?
4. how often do you wash the braids
5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with?
6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out?
7. does it weaken your hair at all?

Thanks.

lina

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? Don't have the stylist braid you edges too tight!! That will cause thin edges. Also once you have a good amount of new growth have only the braids around your edges replaced (or you can rebraid your whole head). This will prevent losing hair b/c of the weight of the braid.
did you personally experience thinned edges? No
2. do you cornrow? box braids? any particular style? In the past I used to cornrow, now I box braid and just wear it in a bun.
3. how do you wash your braids without walking around with drenched braids? When washing my hair I focus on the roots rather than the ends.
- does it take a long time to dry? No, to completely dry maybe 2-3 hours.
- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids? regular shampoo and conditioner, perhaps diluted.
4. how often do you wash the braids? Every 1-2 weeks
5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? I think human hair is the best.
6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out? No, just normal shedding.
7. does it weaken your hair at all? No, not at all, it helps me to retain length. ( but with relaxed hair box braids could cause your ends to be thin).

tada1

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? did you personally experience thinned edges?

I braid/twist my hair myself. IMO nobody else can ever understand how fragile my edges are so i learned to do my own.

Once you learn one style you can pretty much do anything.

use a microfiber towel (sells for $1 at the dollar store) to absorb the water

yes.

i dont use poo at all anymore. but this really depends on how much products you use. My current regimen includes just afro detangler, water, and exercise...:look:

depends on how i feel, but i wont go more than 14 days without "washing"

I like Kanekalon. I just cant see myself walking around with another human being's actual hair on my head. My scalp itches just from thinking about it. :lachen:

slow and steady wins the race. i'll just make sure that im in a good mood and not in a hurry. if/when i start getting frustrated/impatient, i stop and go do something else. :rolleyes:

nope. my hair is def on the grow and retain grind :yep:

LivingDol1

i agree with everything the previous poster said. don't let them braid your edges too tight and make sure they use enough of your hair to anchor the braid onto. you do not want a heavy braid hanging on your delicate edges. also you can ask the braider to make the braids along your edges slightly thinner than the rest of your hair. less weight on the hair, the better.

kanekalon hair worked for me. i never used human hair with my braids in the past. or silky highlighted hair... i used that a lot for box braids and twists. and i wore my braids super long. like to my waist. i had a ton of hair and seriously no breakage. my hair was strong! initially it was relaxed but eventually was all natural since i wore the braids consistently for a few years. just make sure you take out your braids every 2.5 - 3 months and get your edges touched up. you should be good.

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? Don't have the stylist braid you edges too tight!! That will cause thin edges. Also once you have a good amount of new growth have only the braids around your edges replaced (or you can rebraid your whole head). This will prevent losing hair b/c of the weight of the braid.
did you personally experience thinned edges? No
2. do you cornrow? box braids? any particular style? In the past I used to cornrow, now I box braid and just wear it in a bun.
3. how do you wash your braids without walking around with drenched braids? When washing my hair I focus on the roots rather than the ends.
- does it take a long time to dry? No, to completely dry maybe 2-3 hours.
- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids? regular shampoo and conditioner, perhaps diluted.
4. how often do you wash the braids? Every 1-2 weeks
5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? I think human hair is the best.
6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out? No, just normal shedding.
7. does it weaken your hair at all? No, not at all, it helps me to retain length. ( but with relaxed hair box braids could cause your ends to be thin).

joib

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? did you personally experience thinned edges? I braid my own hair using a box braid technique. Growafrohairlong.com is a great resource for protective styles using braids. My braids are larger so there is less pulling.
2. do you cornrow? box braids? any particular style? Box Braids
3. how do you wash your braids without walking around with drenched braids? I wash my hair in the morning and towel dry. By the time I leave the house my hair is dry.
- does it take a long time to dry? No
- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids? No shampoo just diluted condish.
4. how often do you wash the braids. 2x's per week
5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? Kanekalon
6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out?No, I moisture with World's of Curl and seal with EVOO
7. does it weaken your hair at all? Nope, maks it stronger.

TemiLnd

No I do not. I edges of my hair are not braided tight, I rebraid them as needed. My edges are thick and healthy.
All the above
Once washed, I cover witha towel to absorb the water then let it air dry. If you cant do this, sit under a dryer or blow dry the braids. I use whatever shampoo I have diluted.
twice a week
Sensations - very light but Ive only ever seen then in the UK
Nope, just the normal amount of shedded hair
nope

Nonie

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid?

I use very little extension hair per section of my own so that very little weight is added on. Sometimes I do not use any extension hair along the hairline and just wear my own hair as bangs. I redo the edges as soon as they need it. The minute my hair starts to swing painfully, I undo the braid and redo. My hairline is never untidy because I am constantly relieving the stress at the previous starting point of the braid on my own hair and reattaching the extension hair on newer stronger growth hair, so there's no weakening of my hair from extended weight-bearing at the same spot.
did you personally experience thinned edges?

No. I have worn braids for years and haven't experienced thinned edges.

I box-braid. I have done horizontal then vertical parts to create squares, but I have also done diagonal parts to create diamond parts so that each consecutive row of braids falls over the spaces between the braids in the previous row giving a look of fullness.

I wash my braids the way I'd wash my hair in any other form. Under a shower head. I don't get drenched because I wrap a towel around them till most of the water is absorbed. Then depending on what I plan to do with my hair, I can either cornrow it to get waves (braid-out) or put it up in a cross-wrap or a messy French roll derivative to get it to dry straight. Or I could put it in a pony braid and tuck it under.

Not that I notice. I have never timed it but I have never been concerned with it being damp or wet, so it can't take that long to dry.

No. Same products I use any other time are the ones I use with braids. And no, I don't dilute any of them.

Twice a week; same as when I'm not in braids.

I personally like human hair because it doesn't prick my scalp and make me itch and also it gives me versatility to style my hair with a curling iron or not.

No. I actually get the best retention with braids.

No, because I continue my usual weekly regimen throughout my spell in braids. I DC with a reconstructor weekly to keep my strands strong. Since I do my own braids, I am always looking for braids that need redoing and thus moving the extension hair from previous starting points that have been bearing the most strain to newer stronger growth hair. I also make sure to always use less extension hair per section of my own.

Lucky's Mom

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? - I do my own braids - and if someone did them - I asked them NOT to braid to the edge.

did you personally experience thinned edges? Only once....
I don't know how to cornrow..... I like individual braids..Straight - since my hair MBL and beyond.

I use a micofiber towel - or hang out in the sun :)

- does it take a long time to dry? yes. I have dense strands
- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids? - I use Ayruvedic methods whilst in Braids.
4. how often do you wash the braids - once a week - maybe more.
5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? Rasta Afri or Batik
6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out? - If they are Too Small and not moisturized... yes.... if not - no.
7. does it weaken your hair at all? I dunno... It depends on your hair, your regimen, etc....

Mook's hair

I have strong edges in general. Some people just have edges that are more fragile. but I typically make the sections a little bigger at the edge of my hairline and I also re-do them as soon as I feel there is any type of awkward tension or pulling.
did you personally experience thinned edges? NO,
I can do all of the above. I am most partial to cornrows because they are the fastest for me to do. Currently I am wearing kinky twists.
All of my braiding styles are in my album if you're interested.

I don't wash my hair frequently when I'm wearing braids I mainly concentrate on the scalp and the new growth and I use the two sprays to moisturize down the length of my hair.

The 2 sprays are Diluted Infusium and also African Royale Braid Spray Don't get African Pride. It's not as good and it's not a black owned company....Royale is.

I have a hand held shower sprayer. When I want to wash, I dilute some moisturizing or clarifying poo in a small bottle. In the shower, I hold the length of the hair up in the air and I pour the mixture over my scalp. sometimes I might add a dab more of undiluted poo on my fingers and then I use the other hand (that isn't holding the hair) to lather my scalp in between the squares. Don't scrub hard or it's make your roots too fuzzy too fast. also, I really don't want a lather. Then I spray water really close to my scalp to wash the soap out.
By holding the hair up, the soap and water won't run down the length of the braids and they won't be saturated. Synthetic hair takes forever to dry and if your braids are long, the back of you shirt will be wet all day. Human hair dries much faster.

Sometimes I just clean my scalp & new growth with warm water & a washcloth. I do that almost every day.

I only saturate my whole head of hair if I've been swimming in a pool or the ocean and it needs to be clarified.

When I'm in cornrows, I wear them for about 1 or 2 weeks and I usually only wash them a few days before I take them out. Cornrows get fuzzy fast if you wash them a lot. When I'm wearing box braids (which I usually keep for about 2 or 2.5 months. I wash as needed probably about every 3 weeks using the method I mentioned above. More in the summer time less if its winter.
5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? It depends on the style you're doing and also on the thickness and density of your hair.

6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out? No, minimal. I think the infusium helps me avoid breakage.
Nope.

1babydimple

I braid my own hair and so I know when it's to tight plus I use WN moisture lotion around my edges front & back.
Box and kinky twist
I wash at least 1x a wk and as soon as I step out of the shower I wrap a towel like a turban around them for about 20 minutes, then take another towel and squeeze them and finally a 3rd towel to wear around my neck:lachen:Yep I'm a towel hog.
It does take a few hrs, but I do it on days I know I don't have to leave the house.
Same stuff Aphogee 2min Recon. mixed with a cheapie con and I only co-wash my hair no matter what the style.
1x a week
Kankelon doesn't dry my hair out and if I do someones hair who wants a burnt end it closes better.
Not at all. I have less breakage in braids then out because I can spritz the heck out of it all day and never worry about the style messing up. So my hair stays very pliable and I never need a comb to detangle when I come out of braids
Braids can weaken and snap your hair off just like any style but the trick to mainataining healthy hair is moisture. Spraying your braids and massaging your scalp needs to part of your daily routine just like brushing your teeth. There are times (summer) when I spray 1x a day and my braids stay shiny and soft (HATE SEEING DULL HARD BRAIDS:nono:)In the winter I spray in the morning plus with my night massages I rub an oil through them. Find a spray that works for you - store bought or homemade (I use both)
PEACE:Rose:

scarcity21

can u use clarifying poo to wash ur braids? im having a lot of buildup/dandruff? nnot sure if i should use my sauve/kenra clarifying poo....braids are micros with synthetic and have only been in for 13 days

Southern Belle

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? did you personally experience thinned edges? My edges generally don't thin, but I think it may be a slight problem this time. I'll have to see when I take it down. :look:

2. do you cornrow? box braids? any particular style? I only wear box braids. I used to wear micros but I noticed it thinned my hair out on the ends.

3. how do you wash your braids without walking around with drenched braids? I towel dry them.

- does it take a long time to dry? Not really. Only an hour or 2. But I live in Hawaii, so it never gets cold here. I don't know how well it would work in a colder climate.

- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids? No - just suave or v05 condish. I don't use poo.

4. how often do you wash the braids - I cowash every single day.

5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? I use kanekalon (sp)

6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out? No - just the normal shedding. Nothing out of the ordinary.

7. does it weaken your hair at all? Not since I've switched to box braids from micros.

Thanks.[/quote]

HTH! :grin:

Nonie

can u use clarifying poo to wash ur braids? im having a lot of buildup/dandruff? nnot sure if i should use my sauve/kenra clarifying poo....braids are micros with synthetic and have only been in for 13 days

If I were in your shoes, I would. I don't get build up because I don't use products but also when I conditioner, I avoid applying conditioner to the base of my braids. Perhaps diluting the shampoo? I think you would get dandruff from product residue or too much oil production, so keeping the scalp clean would be important to me. I'd apply shampoo directly to scalp (actually maybe not dilute but neat) and then spray my head with water and start squeezing the braids so the soapy water can loosen the build up. You'll have to rinse really well each time. After shampoo and after conditioner. Try to avoid getting conditioner on the inch closest to your scalp. I would do the same if you use braid spray. This will also help prevent knotting up that happens at the start of the braid.

scarcity21

If I were in your shoes, I would. I don't get build up because I don't use products but also when I conditioner, I avoid applying conditioner to the base of my braids. Perhaps diluting the shampoo? I think you would get dandruff from product residue or too much oil production, so keeping the scalp clean would be important to me. I'd apply shampoo directly to scalp (actually maybe not dilute but neat) and then spray my head with water and start squeezing the braids so the soapy water can loosen the build up. You'll have to rinse really well each time. After shampoo and after conditioner. Try to avoid getting conditioner on the inch closest to your scalp. I would do the same if you use braid spray. This will also help prevent knotting up that happens at the start of the braid.

Thanks so much gurl:kiss:

Chiba_revolution

1.Yes, I do get thinned edges, and I usually take out the braids along my hairline after 3 weeks. Then I use BT to fill in the edges, but I've noticed if I just leave them alone they grow back pretty quickly soon enough.
2. I just do single plaits to BSL.
3. I shampoo and then leave in NTM for an hour, while the deep conditioner is in my hair I place my plaits in a hair cap. When I've finished conditioning and wash my hair out I leave my hair to dry over my shoulders on top of a towel.
4. If I wrap the towel around my head then 2-3 hours. If not it takes a good 3 hours.
No, special shampoo is a scam. Hair is hair.
4. 2-3 times a week when I'm on the ball.
5. I live in the UK and I use a line called Xpressions. The hair is so silky, but to be honest I'll use anything.
6. Do you mean in the removal of the braids process? Or when I leave my hair out for a few days. The answer to the first one is no, just normal shedding. The second, however, is a yes, but this is because I'm still learning about my natural hair.
7. Heck No. Best thing that ever happened to it, gave me time to learn more about my hair, and when it's nearing the time to redo my hair again I simply undo a few braids and take care of small sections of my hair for a few days. Sort of like a trial experiment, the back of my hair is 4b and I've always hated it untill now. By carefully moisturising it and seeing what it likes it's starting to resemble my 4a hair at the front.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
everyone i know who braids.. have the worst edges and dont wash it for the entire time they have it in. am considering braids (altho from the ppl i know, it's kind eehhhh).. but i know you ladies are the experts on how to do it right. so here are my questions.

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? did you personally experience thinned edges? I braid my own hair I make sure not to make the parts too small, add too much hair, or briad too tightly b/c all can cause tension breakage. Also, rebraiding the front about 3 weeks into wearing the braids helps. I have experienced thin edges, but when my braids were done by someone other than myself only.

2. do you cornrow? box braids? any particular style? I used to wear cornrows, but they cause damage to my edges, plus I can't do them on my own head. Now I wear either sew-in weaves, kinky twists, or large box braids.

3. how do you wash your braids without walking around with drenched braids? I wash them and then wrap a towel around my head for about 20-30 minutes and then airdry the rest of the time.

- does it take a long time to dry? Nope, I'm in Florida...my braids are pretty much dry within an hour or two.

- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids? I dilute my shampoo and I use either Infusium conditioner or a cheapie one (VO5, Suave, etc...)

4. how often do you wash the braids Once every 1-2 weeks

5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? I like Kankelon hair, it's my preference b/c its cheap and the texture is coarse which makes it easier for me braid.

6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out? No not alot of breakage, just shed hair.

7. does it weaken your hair at all? I think that it can for relaxed heads if you don't keep the protein/ moisture balance up while your hair is in braids, which is hard to do. For this reason alone I make sure to do a hardcore protein treatment after I remove my braids followed with a deep conditioning treatment.

Thanks.

My answers are in bold

Last edited:

tkj25

i braid my own hair, and i make sure not to braid the edges too tight.

did you personally experience thinned edges? no

2. do you cornrow? box braids? any particular style? box braid, they're the most extensible.

i wash once a week, just like i do with my regular hair. let it hang in the shower & concentrate on scalp & length/ends. it takes about 3-4 hrs to dry, or just put it up in a bun & go.

- does it take a long time to dry? no, not much more than usual 3-4 hrs vs 2-3 hrs.

- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids? nope, same no-poo. in general, treat my braids just as i would my hair, but i do think that braids really allow me to hold moisture in my hair & i'm a little more heavy handed with the leave-ins/sprays. when i take my braids down my hair feels moisturized & soft, not dry, hard & brittle.

4. how often do you wash the braids once a week

5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? i prefer black yarn braids. they age better, have a cool matte finish, hold moisture well, and don't catch on your clothes:)

6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out? no, just shed hair. lot's & lots of shed hair. i usually redo them every 2 months.

7. does it weaken your hair at all? no, braids are a great protective style, if you do them right.

jennboo

I have never experienced thin edges. This is because I don't get them braided.

I did individual-box, smaller than pencil sized but bigger than micro-sized braids.

I concentrated the shampo and scrubbing on my scalp and let the shampoo and water drip down the length of the hair and clean the braids.

I'd usually wash at night. By the morning they'd be dry.

I used creme of nature shampoo and pantene pro-v for women of color deep treatment mask as a conditioner.

MAYBE once every 3 weeks.

I always used human hair.

I'd guess that i had a normal amount.

It did not weaken my hair; Mine is natural and so i guess it could withstand more hair abuse than relaxed strands??? If my hair was relaxed i would have had a totally different regimen.

Thanks.
Answers bolded

shunemite

Only thing I have to add is why you gotta tell the braider not to do your edges tight. I always tell them that, and also insist on no glue. I found a lady that braids me and follows my instructions and I've stuck with her for 2 years now. I asked the lady that braids my hair why they do it so tight. She said to me that even people who say "don't make it tight" will call and complain a week later if braids fall out. She also said she'll lose customers coz they want the braids to last 4 months. The first question people always ask when someone gets braided is "how long have you had those?" In other words, they want it to look good at all costs.

cmw45

1. how do you avoid the thinned edges when you braid? did you personally experience thinned edges? I have not expeirenced thinning edges with braids in the past, I am on a personal two year C&G Challenge so we'll see. I did expeirence thinning edges with the only weave I have ever had that was due to the cornrows underneath being put in too tight, so I would suggest you stay away from too tight anything:grin:
2. do you cornrow? box braids? any particular style? Individual box braids with very little extension hair.
3. how do you wash your braids without walking around with drenched braids? I wash at night. I use the diliuted shampoo method and focus mainly on my scalp. For the most part it's almost dry in the morning and I wear a loose ponytail until it finishes.
- does it take a long time to dry? Hours.
- do you use any special shampoo and condish for braids? Nope, I just dilute whatever shampoo I am using in a nozzeled bottle and apply directly to my scalp. This has been working so well that I will probably continue it even when I no longer have braids. I am using this opportunity while I have easy access to my scalp to apply Alter Ego Garlic Treatment to my scalp.
4. how often do you wash the braids Once a week; I do cardio six days a week for at least an hour and my scalp sweats quite a bit
5. what's the best kind of hair to braid with? I use Kanekalon; I find it holds up to my daily exercise and weekly wash well.
6. do you have alot of breakage when you take the braids out? Not at all.
7. does it weaken your hair at all? Hmm...has not been my expeirence. I plan on taking two week breaks inbetween braids or weaves so we will see.

Last edited: