Low Level Laser Therapy (lllt) Technology And Devices

ilong

God's Own
There are a couple of threads on the (HairMax) Laser Comb but I didn't see a thread specific to the technology (LLLT) behind the Laser Comb or other LLLT devices.

I am having a couple of procedures next week and LLLT is recommended as post procedure maintenance. Schedule won't support frequent visits back to the doctor for LLLT and costs can be prohibitive so I am purchasing a LLLT device and researching what is available.
I don't want the doctor to use, not incorporating LLLT in the regimen as a reason for slow/bad results from the procedures.

There are mixed reviews on the efficacy of the technology and devices, so I will more than likely purchase a used device (eBay???). For the ladies who have purchased the Laser Comb, helmet, or had LLLT - any feedback, advice, recommendations? Thanks.

Below (italicized) info from http://www.igrowlaser.com/low-level-laser-therapy/
LLLT Defined

Lasers are widely used in medicine and also throughout a variety of industries, in a multitude of varying capacities. The laser energy used to stimulate hair growth is visible in the red light spectrum. The laser light used in promoting hair growth is defined as Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT). LLLT is sometimes included under a broader definition of ‘Phototherapy’ called Low-Level Light Therapy, where the light-emitting device may be a laser and/or light-emitting diode (LED).

LLLT at Work

Light from a laser in a specific wavelength has an effect on your body when it is applied for a sufficient length of time. It is theorized that when the laser light is absorbed by target tissue molecules, the energy level of the molecules is increased and the molecules respond by ‘working off’ the excess energy with adaptive changes. These changes may be chemical or physical, and they may have biological effects on the target tissue or surrounding tissues.

Because the changes in the molecules are brought about by phototherapy, chemical changes are said to be due to 'photochemistry' and physical changes to 'photophysics.' As a result, the biological effects on tissue are called photobiomodulation.

Treatment of Male Pattern Hair Loss via Photobiomodulation.

There are many hypotheses, which address how LLLTmay stimulate new hair growth. It is hypothesized that LLLT initiates the chemical reaction in the cells that make up the follicle's epithelial matrix causing the proliferative activity.

Much evidence points out that follicular apoptosis (programmed cell death) is reversed via the application of laser energy. Observations of wavelength stimulation of optimal hair growth, has shown precisely what wavelengths, power, and intensity are necessary for optimal effect in stimulating new hair growth.

It is important to note that heat is not associated with the photochemical and photo therapeutic effects of LLLT. LLLT is a low wattage 'cold light' laser, and while there are visible red wavelengths, there is no sensation on the skin of persons undergoing treatment. Cold lasers are safe and universally accepted as such by medical authorities, worldwide. Also significant is the fact that there are no side-effects associated with the use of LLLT, as there are with usage of pharmaceuticals, topicals and pills.

********************​
The procedure is also known as LLT or Cold Therapy, been approved by FDA and found to be effective in treating hair loss with men and women.

From what I've discovered LLLT can be performed:
  • in a medical facility using hood type devices with higher number of laser diodes (30+)
  • at home with Laser Comb (i.e.,, Hair Max ~$200 - $700)
  • at home with Laser retrofitted for a Cap (i.e. Capillus 272 ~$700)
  • at home with Laser Helmet (i.e. iGrow ~$700)
  • at home with Laser hand held device (i.e spencer forrest ~$200)
It is one of the treatments listed below, when used synergistically with the others (listed) helps to stop/prevent hair loss and promote hair regrowth/growth.

1. minoxidil
2. spironolactone
3. low level laser therapy
4. platelet rich plasma
5. hair transplantation.
6. Oral Hair Vitamins/Supplements

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
The cost I am incurring to repair the damage resulting from my braid wearing years is significant.
At the time I believed I was wearing "safe" braid extensions (flat cornrows to the scalp).

I have 2 cousins, 2 girlfriends and the daughter of one of my friends who have lost 50% - 80% of their hair from wearing extensions (zillions) for many years. 2 of them wear full wigs 100% of the time due to the hair loss. One of the remaining 3 is very close to being bald, but she still wears tiny, long twists to try to cover. The remaining 2 continue to wear thin, tiny twists with a lot of scalp showing from hair loss.

I realize people spend large amounts of money on cosmetic procedures, but I would have rather taken the money I'm spending and purchased a couple of new Louis Vuitton or Chanel bags. :) But alas, I can't.

So ladies, be careful with the braids.

Last edited:

sizzle

I agree completely...I wish I knew then what I know now! Be careful when those braid and the people who install them. Many of them care more about the fake hair than about your real hair which they treat very roughly SMH

ilong

God's Own
@sizzle - very true, you and I both! Unfortunately, I can't blame the braiders. My l0ss was due to the stress of the braid dangling from my strands and pulling when trying to move my head, while lying on the braids. Every time I think about it I can actually recall how the pulling felt at that time.

Hisbeloved

Been there and done that. I'm currently using the iGrow helmet. My hair is stronger but I'm not sure if it's from the medications my dermatologist had me on, the laser or both. Either way, I will continue to use it for the recommended 6 months before I give a review.

ilong

God's Own
@Hisbeloved - thank you for the post. TBH - the iGrow helmet seems that it would deliver better results than the comb. It's stationary and direct application design is similar to the large professional units in doctor's offices. Did you have any kind of procedure (hair transplant, PRP) which lead to your getting the iGrow?
From everything I've read on the devices and related procedures, they are most effective when used together and with other treatments (i.e. minoxidil), so your progress may be due to the meds and the helmet.
Please keep me posted on your status and experience with it.

ilong

God's Own
@OneShinyface - I have done so much research over the past few weeks - I think I am on information overload. :think: Anyway I just discovered Emu oil is like a wonder growth oil and when combined with a copper peptide product, Folligen, they become a hair re-growth powerhouse. There are several "old" threads on Folligen. You may want to check them out.

I started a thread on PRP (Platelet rich Plasma) for hair loss.
https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/platelet-rich-plasma-prp-for-androgenic-alopecia.761665/
There isn't any interest in the topic. so I'm not keeping the thread alive ,but from everything I have read, the procedure delivers excellent close to guaranteed, hair re-growth results. Research lead me to Emu Oil and Copper Peptides re-growth. My Emu oil and Folligen should arrive Saturday. I am attacking my hair loss with a vengeance and an arsenal in the next few months.
So, if you are serious about wanting some help with hair loss, I would check out those treatments. HTH

Last edited:

ejfel

@OneShinyface - I have done so much research over the past few weeks - I think I am on information overload. :think: Anyway I just discovered Emu oil is like a wonder growth oil and when combined with a copper peptide product, Folligen, they become a hair re-growth powerhouse. There are several "old" threads on Folligen. You may want to check them out.

Also, I started a thread on PRP (Platelet rich Plasma) for hair loss.
https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/platelet-rich-plasma-prp-for-androgenic-alopecia.761665/
There isn't any interest in the topic here on LHCF, so I'm not keeping the thread alive ,but from everything I have read, the procedure delivers excellent close to guaranteed, hair re-growth results. I am having the procedure Wednesday, along with a FUE hair transplant. Researching PRP and hair transplants lead me to Emu Oil and Copper Peptides re-growth. My Emu oil and Folligen should arrive Saturday, just in time for me to apply after my procedures. I am attacking my hair loss with a vengeance and an arsenal in the next few months.
Had I been aware of Emu Oil, Folligen and PRP, I would have tried those treatments before committing to the transplant. (and they are a lot less expensive) So, if you are serious about wanting some help with hair loss, I would check out those treatments. HTH
I bought Folligen exactly 3 years ago. I wasn't consistent enough using it, and as I matter of fact, I still have the small bottle I was sent. If you decide to use it, please do a review.

ejfel

@ejfel - did you buy/use Emu oil in conjunction with Folligen (when you used it :smile:)?
I did, but I didn't notice a difference to my bald spot, traction alopecia caused by tight braids. I may revisit it again, since I didn't use it that long, maybe about 3 weeks?. Most likely I will get some type of hair transplant in the future. I also did research on that plasma method, but I don't have the funds to get it done right now.

ilong

God's Own
I did, but I didn't notice a difference to my bald spot, traction alopecia caused by tight braids. I may revisit it again, since I didn't use it that long, maybe about 3 weeks?. Most likely I will get some type of hair transplant in the future. I also did research on that plasma method, but I don't have the funds to get it done right now.
@ejfel - yes-try again and try to be consistent. If finances prevent you from undertaking PRP ( which is significantly less than a hair transplant) then you should keep trying alternatives, if nothing else but to maintain donor hair for a transplant, if you decide to go that route in the future.

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
@Hisbeloved, @OneShineyFace - at my appointment today had the LLLT treatment. I mentioned to my doctor that I was considering a LaserComb - he suggested I purchase the iGrow helmet instead, pointing out that the intensity is very close to that of office models, so a higher potential for better results.

@ejfel - when I told my doctor I was going to use a copper peptide to grow out my eyebrows, he told me to apply it to my scalp to thicken my hair. All in all this was the BEST doctor's appointment I've had in many years!! <lol> He was surprised at how familiar I was with a lot of the techniques, treatments and procedures. I told him I feel as if, over the past few weeks, I've been studying for board certifications.:bookworm:

ejfel

@Hisbeloved, @OneShineyFace - at my appointment today had the LLLT treatment. I mentioned to my doctor that I was considering a LaserComb - he suggested I purchase the iGrow helmet instead, pointing out that the intensity is very close to that of office models, so a higher potential for better results.

@ejfel - when I told my doctor I was going to use a copper peptide to grow out my eyebrows, he told me to apply it to my scalp to thicken my hair. All in all this was the BEST doctor's appointment I've had in many years!! <lol> He was surprised at how familiar I was with a lot of the techniques, treatments and procedures. I told him I feel as if, over the past few weeks, I've been studying for board certifications.:bookworm:
lol, your eyebrow can't be worst then mine. I was actually in the process of buying careprost/bimatoprost/generic latisse, just so I can grow my brows. The only issue is that it works similarly to minoxidil, where the results are not permanent. Instead, I've just purchased a new bottle of the folligen. I already have emu oil. I'll also use my sulfur oil too on my brow to see if it makes a difference. Thank you for the suggestion.

ilong

God's Own
lol, your eyebrow can't be worst then mine. I was actually in the process of buying careprost/bimatoprost/generic latisse, just so I can grow my brows. The only issue is that it works similarly to minoxidil, where the results are not permanent. Instead, I've just purchased a new bottle of the folligen. I already have emu oil. I'll also use my sulfur oil too on my brow to see if it makes a difference. Thank you for the suggestion.

@ejfel - why not join us in the Eyelash/Eyebrow Challenge https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...e-7-1-15-12-30-15.760519/page-2#post-21582349 it's a simple challenge and may help you be consistent with applying the folligen and emu oil on your brows and hair. Yes, I purchased 6 bottles of carepost (@ADC) last month. I mixed it with my hair oil serum to try and promote growth in my "hair loss areas".

Last edited:

ejfel

@ejfel - why not join us in the Eyelash/Eyebrow Challenge https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...e-7-1-15-12-30-15.760519/page-2#post-21582349 it's a simple challenge and may help you be consistent with applying the folligen and emu oil on your brows and hair. Yes, I purchased 6 bottles of carepost (@ADC) last month. I mixed it with my hair oil serum to try and promote growth in my "hair loss areas".
Thanks!!! I'll join you guys next week. I should get the folligen by Monday the latest. I'll try the folligen, emu, sulfur oil, and aloe vera on my eyebrow for the first month. If I don't see a difference, I'll get the ADC's careprost. I may even try minoxidil intead. It's cheaper and works just like careprost.

ilong

God's Own
:clapping: @ejfel will be happy to have you. Since you plan to use the Folligen/Emu oil combination (for your eyebrows) I can live vicariously through you. <lol> ITA about Carepost and Minoxidil having similar affects.
I do believe persistence and consistency will lead to growth results. When you are ready I will add you to the list of challengers. I just applied castor oil to my brows/lashes for the third time today. :happydance:

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
I had a LLLT treatment on Saturday and yesterday at a medical facility. I have several more sessions schedule over the next couple of months. I may or may not do all of the sessions depending on results.

@ejfel - did you receive your Folligen yet?

Last edited:

ejfel

I had a LLLT treatment on Saturday and yesterday at a medical facility. I have several more sessions schedule over the next couple of months. I may or may not do all of the sessions depending on results.

@ejfel - did you receive your Folligen yet?

I got it today. I had it shipped to my po box and am only able to get there on the weekend.

I forgot to tell you, the reason I had gotten the folligen previously was because the hair I grew on my alopecia traction spot fell out gradually when I stopped using the minoxidil. I thought the folligen would have strengthen the vellus hair and turn them into terminal hair. I also tried using silk amino acid to see if that would have made the hair stronger.

I've grown hair on my bald spot various times, and again, it always ends up falling out when I stop the minoxidil. I've had the best result by using a liquid growth concoction, followed by the minoxidil, and followed by an oil. One time I used retin A, followed by minoxidil, followed by an oil. That works too. I've also had great results with using a liquid, along with the minoxidil, followed by my sulfur oil mixed with miconazole nitrate. So if you don't mind using minoxidil for a prolong period, by all means, try it, it works. The hair I grew, the longest I remember was about an inch, but it resembles baby hair. You can even use the careprost on your bald spot, I've tried that too. This time around I'm trying a sort of "internal minoxidil" and seeing if that makes a difference to my bald spots. I'm starting a 40 day challenge starting tomorrow so I will keep you updated.
http://www.hairloss-research.org/updates.html if you haven't came across this website, try it, it has a wealth a information.

Attachments

• folligen.png
    folligen.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 12

ejfel

I also would llike to try ketoconazole 2% cream, it's similar to monistat, but ACD ran out and they can't tell me when they'll restock.

ilong

God's Own
@ejfel

- yes I know what you mean about the short life of retention when using minoxidil. Carepost, Latisse, RapidLash and similar products all have the same properties and characteristics as Minoxidil/Rogaine. Results are only as long as the product is being used. . I didn't know about Retin A's efficacy for hair growth. I ordered a ridiculous amount with the Carepost, so I plan to try it sometime in the near future. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the website, it looks awesome so I am sure I will be spending a lot of time there. :yep:

We are definitely trying to blaze the same trail - I was on the ADC site a couple of weeks ago and was saw the ketoconazole but after researching it, I realized it may not be very helpful for me. I may consider using Fluocinonide again. A dermatologist prescribed this for me a couple of years ago and a couple of other LHCF members have used it as well.

Forgot to ask, have you used Fluocinonide?

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
@ejfel - the way I am going through this Folligen and Emu Oil - I will have to place another order this week so I can receive them no later than next week. I mix a 50/50 solution in a small bottle and keep it at my bedside along with my Castor oil for my eyebrows/eyelashes. Folica is out of stock. Perhaps re-stock will occur at the same time as a sale. :grinwink:

ejfel

@ejfel

- yes I know what you mean about the short life of retention when using minoxidil. Carepost, Latisse, RapidLash and similar products all have the same properties and characteristics as Minoxidil/Rogaine. Results are only as long as the product is being used. . I didn't know about Retin A's efficacy for hair growth. I ordered a ridiculous amount with the Carepost, so I plan to try it sometime in the near future. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the website, it looks awesome so I am sure I will be spending a lot of time there. :yep:

We are definitely trying to blaze the same trail - I was on the ADC site a couple of weeks ago and was saw the ketoconazole but after researching it, I realized it may not be very helpful for me. I may consider using Fluocinonide again. A dermatologist prescribed this for me a couple of years ago and a couple of other LHCF members have used it as well.

Forgot to ask, have you used Fluocinonide?
lol, I was going to ask you about the fluocinonide, but I looked it up instead. I see that it's a steroid? I wanted to wanted to stay away from steroid, unless it is a guarantee that it will work and I wouldn't have to keep using it for an extended period. Plus I am guessing it didn't really work for you? Maybe you can elaborate. Thank you in advance.

ejfel

@ejfel - the way I am going through this Folligen and Emu Oil - I will have to place another order this week so I can receive them no later than next week. I mix a 50/50 solution in a small bottle and keep it at my bedside along with my Castor oil for my eyebrows/eyelashes. Folica is out of stock. Perhaps re-stock will occur at the same time as a sale. :grinwink:
Wow, I thought the same thing. I just got it Saturday and used it like twice, and I'm thinking to myself, no way is this thing going to last 30,40 days, lol.

ilong

God's Own
lol, I was going to ask you about the fluocinonide, but I looked it up instead. I see that it's a steroid? I wanted to wanted to stay away from steroid, unless it is a guarantee that it will work and I wouldn't have to keep using it for an extended period. Plus I am guessing it didn't really work for you? Maybe you can elaborate. Thank you in advance.
@ejfel - yes it is a steroid and I have a similar reluctance. One dermatologist prescribed it for me and when I had a follow-up with another derm - she told me it would not help my areas. So it's undecided if it would or would not have worked. I'll decide within the next few months.

I am going to stick with the Folligen/Emu Oil solution of at least a year. But at the rate I'm going I will need a gallon of each every 3-4 months. <lol>. I am pretty sure I had good results with a sulfur based oil with MN added. But I just determined my hair does very well with sulfur based product and protein so I'm going to add those back to my regimen as well.
You mentioned you had success with a couple of combinations and one involved a liquid growth concoction - would you mind sharing the ingredients of the concoction? Thanks!

ejfel

@ejfel - yes it is a steroid and I have a similar reluctance. One dermatologist prescribed it for me and when I had a follow-up with another derm - she told me it would not help my areas. So it's undecided if it would or would not have worked. I'll decide within the next few months.

I am going to stick with the Folligen/Emu Oil solution of at least a year. But at the rate I'm going I will need a gallon of each every 3-4 months. <lol>. I am pretty sure I had good results with a sulfur based oil with MN added. But I just determined my hair does very well with sulfur based product and protein so I'm going to add those back to my regimen as well.
You mentioned you had success with a couple of combinations and one involved a liquid growth concoction - would you mind sharing the ingredients of the concoction? Thanks!
Sure,
I made a 4 oz concoction,
Eclipta Alba .2 oz
Vitaplex (from lotioncrafters) .12 oz
Silk Amino Acid .1 oz
Saw Palmeto .2oz
Peppermint .2oz
Liquid Biotin .6 oz
1 scoop of MSM
And the rest Aloe vera juice
All liquids, no oils

ejfel

Sure,
I made a 4 oz concoction,
Eclipta Alba .2 oz
Vitaplex (from lotioncrafters) .12 oz
Silk Amino Acid .1 oz
Saw Palmeto .2oz
Peppermint .2oz
Liquid Biotin .6 oz
1 scoop of MSM
And the rest Aloe vera juice
All liquids, no oils
I only stopped using it since it's costly and time consuming to make. Plus people were asking me to make them sulfur oil and the oil contains some of the same ingredients. What I like about the liquid is that I know for a fact that it is absorbed into in my scalp, unlike the oil that's just sitting there and is very greasy.

Hisbeloved

@Hisbeloved - thank you for the post. TBH - the iGrow helmet seems that it would deliver better results than the comb. It's stationary and direct application design is similar to the large professional units in doctor's offices. Did you have any kind of procedure (hair transplant, PRP) which lead to your getting the iGrow?
From everything I've read on the devices and related procedures, they are most effective when used together and with other treatments (i.e. minoxidil), so your progress may be due to the meds and the helmet.
Please keep me posted on your status and experience with it.

I didn't have any treatment other than antibiotics and topical cortisone cream for 4 weeks. I am going back to my dermatologist next week to follow up.

Hisbeloved

I was just logging in to give my update. Didn't know you had tagged me. She put me back on antibiotics and the cortisone ointment. Says I need to be on it for 3-4 months. She had me on it for 4 weeks initially to see if it would benefit me. Also, she mentioned rogaine but said I would have to be on it faithfully for a full year to determine if it worked or not. If I did grow hair as a result of the rogaine then I would have to continue it to keep the hair it produced. I'm still thinking about that one. Not sure if i am ready to use it forever. I will continue with my current treatment and make a decision around the end of the year about it though.