Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2012

lamaria211

EbonyCPrincess said:
Hey Ladies,
I haven't updated in this thread in a while but I wanted to come share my progress with you. Last year I had a setback where my ends had become super extra thin, see through and just bad! I decided to focus on them. In the first 2 years of my journey I have been labelled as a slow grower, which actually isn't true. I grow the average rate but for whatever reason was not retaining all of my length. Finally with the thin ends I decided to stop airdrying and doing braidouts, twist outs and bantu knot outs primarily and concentrate on rollersetting my hair. I actually hosted a rollersetting challenge on my blog which kept me motivated. Finally I began retaining! Even with a scissor happy stylist who took way more off during a trim than I asked for, I still retained 2-3" in 4 months, with full, healthy ends!

So even though I'm essentially the same length, the difference in my hair is astounding! I'm so happy that I've finally figured out what works best for my hair! (sorry for the image sizes!)

Here were my ends last year:

And here they are flat ironed today:

Excellent progress!!

skyslady

Its been a min but I've been desperately trying to save these dry, wiry, thin ends. No matter what I have tried nothing seems to work. So I went to have the damage analyzed and the verdict is in; its dead....I must trim off at least 2 inches :eek:! I will post pics soon.

LaidBak

skyslady said:
Its been a min but I've been desperately trying to save these dry, wiry, thin ends. No matter what I have tried nothing seems to work. So I went to have the damage analyzed and the verdict is in; its dead....I must trim off at least 2 inches :eek:! I will post pics soon.

Just curious, what do you mean by you went to have them analyzed?

lamaria211

So I had dh hide my scissors after I did a 3hr dusting session last week and ive been sealing ends with grease I have noticed a tremendous difference in moisture and I dont get many ssk's but I also attribute the lack of ssk's to the fact that I am recovering from HIH( hand in hair disease) I actually think that, that has been the biggest help

faithVA

cowashed with Tresemme Naturals and used it as a leave-in. Sealed my ends with a blend of castor and wheat germ oils. Should have put on shea butter but I wasn't thinking straight :nono:

But I'm in flat twist and my ends are tucked away.

I'm finger detangling, combing so I have SSKs after my trim but I am hoping I am reversing my moisture trend with the cowashes.

FoxxyLocs

I haven't sealed in a few days. My hair is still straight so hopefully my ends are fine. I've been in a bun since Sunday.

faithVA

I am attacking SSKs as I find them. Hoping it will make finger detangling/combing easier.

Misted my hair with conditioner/water/Hawaiin Silky, sealed with shea butter blend, followed by sunflower/grapeseed oil. Let's see if this helps.

Oh, then I misted my head with Sta Sof Fro

FoxxyLocs

Shampooed with my homemade dandruff shampoo, did a protein DC with HSR/WC/egg, and twisted with shea butter. I made the twists really big (took about 90 min) and put them in a bun. I'll be wearing these until I have to shampoo again. Maybe I'll be able to get a cute twistout out of it.

I have some SSKs to trim, but I didn't have my scissors handy when I was twisting.

faithVA

Trimming SSKs as I find them. After I cowashed, DCd last night. I used Tresemme Naturals as my leave-in and sealed my ends with castor/wheat germ/flax seed oil. I might need something heavier. I am still figuring this out. But its better than nothing I guess.

lamaria211

Cowashed today then sealed the length of my hair with shea and kemi oyl over giovanni direct ill use grease on my ends before im 100% dry

faithVA

I sealed my ends with my castor/wheat germ/flax seed oil. Then put on my shea butter blend. My ends may hate the oil blend but I'm going to seal with it for now and try to use it up. Then I will switch over to my sunflower/grapeseed oil blend and see if that works better.

faithVA

I have no clue how my ends are :perplexed: But the curly girl method is helping so I don't notice how dry they are. But I am sealing with oils and butters on a regular basis and really smoothing the ocnditioners in my ends when I am cowashing and DCing.

I plan on using EVOO and honey on my ends before my wash days to see if I can get some extra moisture into them.

FoxxyLocs

I haven't done anything to my hair since I twisted on Sunday. It doesn't feel dry, but not moisturized either. I'll M&S tonight. I'll wash and DC again this weekend.

ETA: ok I moisturized with water/WC, and sealed with grapeseed/coconut oil. Plus I'm baggying tonight, so I'm back on track now. :yep:

Sent from my HTC Evo

Last edited:

expowarrior

I caved and trimmed early (in June instead of September - so I'm pushing my next trim forward to December). I just couldn't stand my uneven ends anymore. My hair looks much better and I've been trying to moisturize and seal my ends every night.

greenandchic

I wish I remembered when I last dusted my hair. It looks so much better since I dusted twice in about 15 weeks, but I don't want to over do it. I think Ill wait until mid to late July and start the cycle again.

faithVA

No more chopping honey braid it up and leave it alone for a lil while:)

I made an appointment to get my hair cut the first weekend in August. I ordered a hair analysis from Komaza. So will just start over with a fresh cut and do what I learn from the analysis. So hopefully I can enjoy my hair for the 2nd half of the year.

FoxxyLocs

I washed and DC'd again last night, and focused on my ends. I was worried about SSKs from my WNG attempt, but I think my ends are still ok. I may blow dry tonight. I haven't decided yet.

LexaKing

Sorry I've been so quiet on here lately...My ends are holding up pretty well, I did a s&d the last week of June but Im gonna get a trim sometime this summer. I'm just dreading having to find a reliable stylist who wont hack of my progress.... I have switched up from using Mizani Coconut Soufflé to Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner as my leave/ moisturizer. I didn't like it as a conditioner but I LOVE it for nightly moisturizing, its a little heavier and I love the smell. I am still following up my moisturizer with Macadamia Oil, I think I have found my staples :)

My siggy is my length as of today!!! Im so excited about seeing progress!

faithVA

[USER=344541 said:
LexaKing[/USER];16280917]Sorry I've been so quiet on here lately...My ends are holding up pretty well, I did a s&d the last week of June but Im gonna get a trim sometime this summer. I'm just dreading having to find a reliable stylist who wont hack of my progress.... I have switched up from using Mizani Coconut Soufflé to Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner as my leave/ moisturizer. I didn't like it as a conditioner but I LOVE it for nightly moisturizing, its a little heavier and I love the smell. I am still following up my moisturizer with Macadamia Oil, I think I have found my staples :)

My siggy is my length as of today!!! Im so excited about seeing progress!

Since you wear your hair straight, some of the other ladies mentioned going to places like the Hair Cuttery or shops like that. There was actually a thread on there not too long ago. They were saying that they tend to trim only what you say. You might want to look into that.

LexaKing

faithVA Thank you very much! Are these shops all over the place, never heard of them. But any place who will just "dust" my ends would be perfect!