Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2012

afroette

After several occasions where my hair broke at the ends as soon as I applied castor oil, i must concede it is too think for my hair. I've tried jojoba oil but feel that it doesn't get absorbed. I will try coconut oil, which I briefly used about 4 years ago.

darlingdiva

After several occasions where my hair broke at the ends as soon as I applied castor oil, i must concede it is too think for my hair. I've tried jojoba oil but feel that it doesn't get absorbed. I will try coconut oil, which I briefly used about 4 years ago.

Have you tried cutting the castor oil with a lighter oil like jojoba, grapeseed, almond, etc. so that the consistency won't be as thick?

FoxxyLocs

Had to shampoo again last night. DC'd with GPB - I was a little nervous about the protein but it was nice. I didn't have to follow up with a moisturizing DC.

I clipped a few ssks, maybe 5. The chunky twists were much better for my ends than the mini twists I'm used to wearing. I decided on two french braids instead of cornrows as my PS for this week.

wheezy807

I know it's not too late but i should have been In this thread since The beginning. My stylist had to chop off a couple Of inches Of my hair yesterday because my ends were so thin And split. If you neglect your hair, eventually it will catch up with you And began to reflect so.

faithVA

I cut off at least 1" to 2.5" today :sad: Not sure why my hair is in such bad shape :nono: If letting go of the protein and increasing my moisture with DCing and cowashing don't work, not sure what I am going to do.

Now I need to figure out how to style my NL hair. My ends don't love small twists or braids. I need to find 2 styles to rotate between and keep it simple.

faithVA

[USER=259402 said:
greenandchic[/USER];16086515]Dusted my ends a few days ago. My hair looks and feels so much better.

@faithVA - Do you have any recent photos of your hair?

Do you mean of today? No. I have my original pic, I posted in this thread but it was a length check picture. And the only other pics that are recent are in my album. I think there is one in there from January.

greenandchic

Do you mean of today? No. I have my original pic, I posted in this thread but it was a length check picture. And the only other pics that are recent are in my album. I think there is one in there from January.

I think I missed the length check photo, but an after pic would be good too - whenever you're ready! :D I'm sure your hair looks good. Are you looking for a PS for your hair, not just a style in general?

faithVA

[USER=259402 said:
greenandchic[/USER];16086547]I think I missed the length check photo, but an after pic would be good too - whenever you're ready! :D I'm sure your hair looks good. Are you looking for a PS for your hair, not just a style in general?

I'm open to either PS or style. It doesn't matter. I was having a hard time styling it before the trim, so sort of worried now. I was just barely able to get most of it in a bun with the front twisted. And twists and braids don't seem to help my ends any. I'm thinking I will try to bun the very back and then put in med. size twists and try to pin them up some type of way.

Maybe I can think straighter after a good nights sleep.

faithVA

Spritzed my hair with conditioner/water mix, sealed my strands with sunflower/grapeseed oil and sealed my ends with unpetroleum jelly.

pinkness27

I'm not in this challenge, but I plan to read all the pages to get helpful tips. My hairdresser said my ends are very split. I told her to cut them all off, but she cut about an inch and said she would keep cutting them progressively. I'm just worried that the splits will spread like wildfire before the series of cuts get done with.

faithVA

[USER said:
pinkness2[/USER]7;16094307]I'm not in this challenge, but I plan to read all the pages to get helpful tips. My hairdresser said my ends are very split. I told her to cut them all off, but she cut about an inch and said she would keep cutting them progressively. I'm just worried that the splits will spread like wildfire before the series of cuts get done with.

You are welcome to join or to lurk. We welcome everyone :yep:

afroette

Trimmed up to 1 in in some areas but at least 1/2 in. Here's hoping that will cure the split ends and thin ends.

FoxxyLocs

I missed a couple of days of M&S over the weekend, but I got back on it today. I moisturized with WC dvd sealed with shea butter because it was handy.

I shampooed with castille soap/neem powder/karanja oil on Friday and I'm at day 3 with no flakes or itchiness so that's an improvement also. The less often I have to shampoo = less manipulation and less knots.

lamaria211

I may start sealing my ends in shea butter again I havent used it in along time but I remember liking it when I did
I ended up using grease and im hooked!! I love it my hair feels so soft root to tip:)

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I did a scalp massage with sulfur oil, moisturized with CD Tui Spritz, and then slathered my strands with HH Coconut Yuzu Love. I braided my hair in nine, added castor oil to my ends, and decided to baggy.

faithVA

I misted my ends with Sta Sof Fro. For some reason I didn't remember to seal them with my oil blend :perplexed: Will do it tonight.

lamaria211

Ive been cutting ssk's all morning I think when im done I might break my scissors. I wanted to start fresh using minis and grease so I can really tell if there is a change

faithVA

Cowashed and used Tresemme Naturals as my leave -in. Sealed my ends with a little bit of castor oil/wheat germ oil.

LexaKing

Hey ladies! I know its been a minute! Still moisturizing daily. I've added Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner to my regimen. It's a great moisturizing leave in :) Still sealing with macadamia oil.

FoxxyLocs

I straightened my hair again last night, straighter than the last time. My ends look pretty good except in the very back. Probably because I'm not thorough with my S&D's when I get to that area. I'll trim those while I have them straight. Other than that I think they're coming along nicely. I'll be sealing with argan oil or crisco while my hair is straight. I'm hoping it will last for a couple of weeks.

I went a whole week with no flaking after my last shampoo, so I was happy about that. We'll see if I can get to two weeks this time.

sckri23

After a whole lot of portion size practice I finally m&s my whole head today.

Sprayed motions leave in on my scalp and hair (to open pores)

Used sofnfree moisturizer

Sealed with africas best herbal oil then bergamot grease then foamimg wrap lotion

Final coat of wrap lotion and leave in to finish

ETA: Also I trimmed ALOT I think an inch so its really fresh ends

Last edited:

EbonyCPrincess

Hey Ladies,
I haven't updated in this thread in a while but I wanted to come share my progress with you. Last year I had a setback where my ends had become super extra thin, see through and just bad! I decided to focus on them. In the first 2 years of my journey I have been labelled as a slow grower, which actually isn't true. I grow the average rate but for whatever reason was not retaining all of my length. Finally with the thin ends I decided to stop airdrying and doing braidouts, twist outs and bantu knot outs primarily and concentrate on rollersetting my hair. I actually hosted a rollersetting challenge on my blog which kept me motivated. Finally I began retaining! Even with a scissor happy stylist who took way more off during a trim than I asked for, I still retained 2-3" in 4 months, with full, healthy ends!

So even though I'm essentially the same length, the difference in my hair is astounding! I'm so happy that I've finally figured out what works best for my hair! (sorry for the image sizes!)

Here were my ends last year:

And here they are flat ironed today:

LaidBak

I've been using serum or almond butter to seal my ends lately. I just wanted to go lighter for the summer.