Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2023

What would you like to address and improve as it relates to having luscious, healthy ends?

• Breakage

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Thinness

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Unevenness

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Split Ends

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Dryness

Votes: 32 48.5%
  • Roughness

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Knots

Votes: 31 47.0%
  • Dullness

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Added April 8th, 2023: Official List Of Bun Droppers for December 2023

Alright ladies,

Some of us have gained length and cultivated some very Luscious Healthy Ends in 2022 ! We all know that the care of ends of the hair greatly impact length retention and the thickness and the health of those ends impact the beauty of our afro-textured hair.

So, let's hit the ground running in 2023 and start of on the right foot, or strand to move us toward luscious, healthy ends in 2023!

Here we go!

Don't forget to cast your vote above in the poll!
You can vote for as many things that apply to your situation. :grin:

Last edited:

Chicoro

@snoop

Referencing your question from the 2022 thread, I think I am moving toward what you are doing with Ayuverda. I have started with the oiling again before washing. Now, I am going to investigate different herbs and clays for washing.

So, I hope you will be present in this thread so I can pick your brain with your vast experience and knowledge as it relates to this subject. Plus you got some long hair and I want what you got. So what better way than to ask you for help and suggestions. Right?

snoop

@snoop

Referencing your question from the 2022 thread, I think I am moving toward what you are doing with Ayuverda. I have started with the oiling again before washing. Now, I am going to investigate different herbs and clays for washing.

So, I hope you will be present in this thread so I can pick your brain with your vast experience and knowledge as it relates to this subject. Plus you got some long hair and I want what you got. So what better way than to ask you for help and suggestions. Right?

Not a problem at all! I was going to suggest clay washing as one of the options, but DIY isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm here for you if/when you go down that road.

Chicoro

Not a problem at all! I was going to suggest clay washing as one of the options, but DIY isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm here for you if/when you go down that road.

Funny you should mention that. I did a clay wash last weekend. No fuzzy ends. I loved that part!

But I had a little stink stink left on my hair. Didn't get my hair and scalp as clean as I would have liked. I punked myself because I waited to wash my hair late and did not want to redo the whole process.

The clay to which I have access is French Green Clay (Bentonite), French Red Clay and French Yellow Clay.

What do you suggest? :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:(Excited to find out some new hair process stuff!)

Here's what I'm working with. I bought this for my skin and my melasma issues. The bags say in the usage instructions that they are for hair, too.

Clays.jpeg

Last edited:

snoop

Funny you should mention that. I did a clay wash last weekend. No fuzzy ends. I loved that part!

But I had a little stink stink left on my hair. Didn't get my hair and scalp as clean as I would have liked. I punked myself because I waited to wash my hair late and did not want to redo the whole process.

The clay to which I have access is French Green Clay (Bentonite), French Red Clay and French Yellow Clay.

What do you suggest? :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:(Excited to find out some new hair process stuff!)

I use kaolin clay because I find that it's easiest to wash out of my hair without having to follow up with conditioner. Bentonite and rhassoul are gritty, whereas kaolin (at least the one I have) is like baby powder...or chalk. The downside to that is that you have to be careful about how much water you add to it because it requires less than the others otherwise you end up with white water.

I also find that, if clay washing is something that you continue long term, a stick blender/immersion blender will be your friend. As an aside, I know some people like to mix oil and conditioner together to detangle their hair, but mixing it with a stick blender with a spoon is night and day. They emulsify with the blender.

As for the stink, if you're not opposed to fragrances, then fragrance oil is how I get around DIY stink. I can't really smell anything from clay alone, but all of the stuff I add to the clay isn't pretty. I only started scenting my clays last year and between that, my hair lotions, and some of my oils, I can end up smelling like a fruit salad the next time my hair gets wet. (Also, people assume that washing with plants and stuff will make your head stinky, but a lot of the good raw ingredients smell bad. This is why they scent lotions. Nature doesn't smell really good. :look:)

Clay doesn't really remove everything from your hair, but it removes a lot. My hair doesn't like squeaky clean so this works for me. But, I tried activated charcoal powder in my clay wash today and I was really impressed. It took off all of the oil build up that I had. Also, how long did you leave the clay on? That could be a factor.

This article on Natural Haven Bloom about mild cleansers is an oldie but goodie. It might be helpful for you: https://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2015/05/hair-science-how-well-do-mild-cleansers.html

Chicoro

I use kaolin clay because I find that it's easiest to wash out of my hair without having to follow up with conditioner. Bentonite and rhassoul are gritty, whereas kaolin (at least the one I have) is like baby powder...or chalk. The downside to that is that you have to be careful about how much water you add to it because it requires less than the others otherwise you end up with white water.

I also find that, if clay washing is something that you continue long term, a stick blender/immersion blender will be your friend. As an aside, I know some people like to mix oil and conditioner together to detangle their hair, but mixing it with a stick blender with a spoon is night and day. They emulsify with the blender.

As for the stink, if you're not opposed to fragrances, then fragrance oil is how I get around DIY stink. I can't really smell anything from clay alone, but all of the stuff I add to the clay isn't pretty. I only started scenting my clays last year and between that, my hair lotions, and some of my oils, I can end up smelling like a fruit salad the next time my hair gets wet. (Also, people assume that washing with plants and stuff will make your head stinky, but a lot of the good raw ingredients smell bad. This is why they scent lotions. Nature doesn't smell really good. :look:)

Clay doesn't really remove everything from your hair, but it removes a lot. My hair doesn't like squeaky clean so this works for me. But, I tried activated charcoal powder in my clay wash today and I was really impressed. It took off all of the oil build up that I had. Also, how long did you leave the clay on? That could be a factor.

This article on Natural Haven Bloom about mild cleansers is an oldie but goodie. It might be helpful for you: https://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2015/05/hair-science-how-well-do-mild-cleansers.html

I left the clay on for about 10 minutes I think.

I have some unopened, activated coconut charcoal powder. I bought it about 2 years ago when I was in the states! I also have a stick blender at my place. How much charcoal would you suggest that I add to my clay? I use a clay water. I don't like a thick heavy clumpy batch of clay.

Last edited:

Chicoro

I never thought to do this: Baggie and protect my ends when I wash my hair!
Absolutely genius!!!!!

She baggies her ends before she washes her hair. She mentions exactly what my problem is. She says after washing her ends revert, they tangle and can break. It were as she was listening to my problem. Guess what I'm going to be doing next wash: baglettes on the ends of my hair for my next wash day using me some shampoo and then some clay!

And so timely! I don't believe in coincidences. It's my reward for starting this thread! :cup:

Instagram post from Indigenous_Strands.

Last edited:

snoop

I used red a LONNNNNNGGG time ago and bought green and yellow to try, but haven't yet. For the past two years, I've promised myself to try them, but I want to film it as well and haven't had the time. I'm willing to do a mini test of the three for you if you'll like.

CharcoalClay_LHCF.png

This is today's mix. It consisted of 4 tbsp kaolin clay, 2 tbsp goat's milk powder, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp activated charcoal powder. For the first 3 ingredients I used soup spoons and made them heaping, with the honey extra heaping since my honey is semi-solid. For the activated charcoal I used a measuring spoon and made sure that it was level. I eyeball the amount of water that I use, but the consistency when pouring was kind of thick, but as you can see the mixture itself isn't really thick. If I thinned the kaolin it would be like pouring milk on my hair which is too messy. This batch made a little bit more than 8oz which is what my applicator bottle holds and it squeezed through the nozzle easily.

Clay mixes can be applied directly to dirty hair or you can rinse it. I've been applying my mixes to dry hair, but this morning I did an unsuccessful water rinse, so since my hair was still damp that's how I applied it.

CharcoalClayHair_LHCF.png

Last tip, if you let the clay dry on your hair, it might be harder to wash out. If you cover your hair with a plastic cap, it's just like doing the GHE and it stays moist for the duration of when you have it on your hair.

As I mentioned before, following up with conditioner is the easiest way to get the clay out. So the clay + conditioner combo might help you to over-come your frizzy ends. Maybe you can even do a couple of weeks clay then a week shampoo if you think that your hair can handle it.

(I can't remember, don't they say that clear shampoos tend to be harsher than opaque shampoos? Is it possible to find a baby shampoo that is opaque?)

snoop

I never thought to do this: Baggie and protect my ends when I wash my hair!
Absolutely genius!!!!!

She baggies her ends before she washes her hair. She mentions exactly what my problem is. She says after washing her ends revert, they tangle and can break. It were as she was listening to my problem. Guess what I'm going to be doing next wash: baglettes on the ends of my hair for my next wash day using me some shampoo and then some clay!

And so timely! I don't believe in coincidences. It's my reward for starting this thread! :cup:

Instagram post from Indigenous_Strands.

Did she say that she hasn't washed her hair in 4 months? I'm not saying that to dog her, because I think that her hair is gorg, I'm just thinking about the technique that she's using and how it seems to be working.

I wanted to start a thread yesterday asking people to recommend hair care books that they've read, particularly old school ones, better yet, ones by people who have had salons or ran hair care companies. I was thinking about the Aubrey Hampton book that I pick through from time to time (thanks for that suggestion oh so long ago @Chicoro ) as well as one that I read through on the weekend by long hair stylist Dr. George Michael. In Michael's book he actually recommends a hair washing method similar to the one that Indigenous Strands was using...except he said you can ask a friend to hold your hair for you so that you can shampoo your scalp only. (From what I gather, Michael's forte was growing hair to long lengths -- WL and longer. He wasn't a fan of cutting hair.) (I'll start the thread tomorrow.)

So, I'm going to be waiting with baited breath as you try this method! The stars are aligning.

Chicoro

Did she say that she hasn't washed her hair in 4 months? I'm not saying that to dog her, because I think that her hair is gorg, I'm just thinking about the technique that she's using and how it seems to be working.

I wanted to start a thread yesterday asking people to recommend hair care books that they've read, particularly old school ones, better yet, ones by people who have had salons or ran hair care companies. I was thinking about the Aubrey Hampton book that I pick through from time to time (thanks for that suggestion oh so long ago @Chicoro ) as well as one that I read through on the weekend by long hair stylist Dr. George Michael. In Michael's book he actually recommends a hair washing method similar to the one that Indigenous Strands was using...except he said you can ask a friend to hold your hair for you so that you can shampoo your scalp only. (From what I gather, Michael's forte was growing hair to long lengths -- WL and longer. He wasn't a fan of cutting hair.) (I'll start the thread tomorrow.)

So, I'm going to be waiting with bated breath as you try this method! The stars are aligning.
I had that Michael book when I lived in the US!

That part went passed me when I read that book at least 10 years ago. I’ll be looking for that thread when you start it.

Saturday.

It begins.

Chicoro

I used red a LONNNNNNGGG time ago and bought green and yellow to try, but haven't yet. For the past two years, I've promised myself to try them, but I want to film it as well and haven't had the time. I'm willing to do a mini test of the three for you if you'll like.

View attachment 485715

This is today's mix. It consisted of 4 tbsp kaolin clay, 2 tbsp goat's milk powder, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp activated charcoal powder. For the first 3 ingredients I used soup spoons and made them heaping, with the honey extra heaping since my honey is semi-solid. For the activated charcoal I used a measuring spoon and made sure that it was level. I eyeball the amount of water that I use, but the consistency when pouring was kind of thick, but as you can see the mixture itself isn't really thick. If I thinned the kaolin it would be like pouring milk on my hair which is too messy. This batch made a little bit more than 8oz which is what my applicator bottle holds and it squeezed through the nozzle easily.

Clay mixes can be applied directly to dirty hair or you can rinse it. I've been applying my mixes to dry hair, but this morning I did an unsuccessful water rinse, so since my hair was still damp that's how I applied it.

View attachment 485717

Last tip, if you let the clay dry on your hair, it might be harder to wash out. If you cover your hair with a plastic cap, it's just like doing the GHE and it stays moist for the duration of when you have it on your hair.

As I mentioned before, following up with conditioner is the easiest way to get the clay out. So the clay + conditioner combo might help you to over-come your frizzy ends. Maybe you can even do a couple of weeks clay then a week shampoo if you think that your hair can handle it.

(I can't remember, don't they say that clear shampoos tend to be harsher than opaque shampoos? Is it possible to find a baby shampoo that is opaque?)
Clapping with joy! So helpful and informative! Thank you!

GettingKinky

I’m joining :)

After my last haircut my ends feel amazing. I think this is the best shape my hair has been in since I started my hair journey. (Why oh why did I use baking soda instead of shampoo for many, many, many years:cry3: )

I intend to keep my ends in great shape by:

- continue to wash weekly and wear a wash-n-go
- doing a weekly olaplex 3 treatment on the bottom half of my hair (or I may try Epres)

- being very gentle when detangling

- only using moisturizing shampoo on my ends (except for when I clarify)

- using a protein treatment every other week

- figuring out how often I need to trim (based on how my ends feel and how easy/ hard it is to detangle)

Last edited:

Chicoro

I’m joining :)

After my last haircut my ends feel amazing. I think this is the best shape my hair has been in since I started my hair journey. (Why oh why did I use baking soda instead of shampoo for many, many, many years:cry3: )

I intend to keep my ends in great shape by:

- continue to wash weekly and wear a wash-n-go
- doing a weekly olaplex 3 treatment on the bottom half of my hair (or I may try Epres)

- being very gentle when detangling

- only using moisturizing shampoo on my ends (expect for when I clarify)

- using a protein treatment every other week

- figuring out how often I need to trim (based on how my ends feel and how easy/ hard it is to detangle)
Here you are! Grreat!

GGsKin

I'm in. I cut my hair in November. I gave me a better shape for my wash n go, as well as decreasing the difference between the longer and shorter lengths on my head. I'm hoping to see some retention and regain overall thickness troughout my hair.

LushLox

Count me in; I'm going to do one more trim at the end of January. I've done some very regular trims of late so this January should hopefully set me up for a great start to the year. I will likely be able to hold off trimming again until the summer, but we'll see.

Chicoro

My long hair senses are tingling. I feel a large length gain coming on, for me.

The oil rinse at the beginning of my wash process has rocked my world in a positive way.

Using that clay wash last week and having beautiful laid ends was a real eye opener. The anionic surfactant systems, which are the cleansers in shampoos, are too harsh for my geriatric, older hair ends.

It seems to me, when my ends get to a certain age, and they have been weathered due to wear and tear over time, the anionic surfactant systems in shampoos are just too harsh for these aged ends.

Im not sure if shampoos are ushering in the aging, or if the aging of my hair makes the shampoo unsupportable to my ends.

Mapleoats

I'm joining again and hoping to stick to it this year! I just did a nice trim at the end of December and plan to trim every 12 weeks going forward so my next trim is in March.

I was reviewing my regimen from 2020/2021 and trying to bring back some elements that were simple but successful for me, so the first thing I'm bringing back is oiling my hair and particularly my ends the day before wash day. My personal oil of choice is babassu oil.

i originally said I would blow out weekly but for the sake of my ends I will stick with biweekly for now

Chicoro

I had no idea that horses wore bantu knots. Well, I guess if we can wear 'ponytails', they can wear bantu knots. It's quid pro quo. Please do not go running up on any horses accusing them of cultural appropriation [in this case 'species' appropriation]. How many times has a horse tapped you on the back when you were sporting its namesake hair style, the ponytail? :giggle:

horse bantu 1.jpeghorse bantu knot 2.jpeg

caribeandiva

Human being
I had no idea that horses wore bantu knots. Well, I guess if we can wear 'ponytails', they can wear bantu knots. It's quid pro quo. Please do not go running up on any horses accusing them of cultural appropriation [in this case 'species' appropriation]. How many times has a horse tapped you on the back when you were sporting its namesake hair style, the ponytail? :giggle:

View attachment 485749View attachment 485751
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Chicoro

I might as well park myself in the thread too. I (and my long hair dreams) ain’t going nowhere.
View attachment 485753
Can you post a side by side comparison of you with your gorgeous short cut you got in 2020/2021 next to the photo of your hair after you were braiding the nape, from 2022? That would be some great inspiration to get us started in 2023. And you can see how far you have grown in such a short time.

caribeandiva

Human being
Can you post a side by side comparison of you with your gorgeous short cut you got in 2020/2021 next to the photo of your hair after you were braiding the nape, from 2022? That would be some great inspiration to get us started in 2023. And you can see how far you have grown in such a short time.
Absolutely. So I had a massive setback at the end of 2019 when the middle of my head broke off after reaching APL for the first time ever! I was devastated of course and didn’t know what really caused it. Was it the daily buns? Or using hair gel like my stylist suggested?

8DBC4E09-8F58-402B-9880-335D166DDA81.jpeg

I was forced to chop off all my hair to even it out. Here’s my hair end of December 2019 to January 1, 2020:
02D24F2D-2326-4F03-8F9C-AED003305479.jpeg
A8A70233-F5D6-473E-BA20-D639398BD5E9.jpeg

Here’s how much progress I made in the last 2 years. @Chicoro noticed that the same thing was happening again! The middle of my head was still shorter than the rest of my hair:
2E6886CB-E136-40DD-83CA-09C79C95A97D.jpeg
That’s when she suggested I start a nape regimen and moisturize that part of my hair separately by going horizontally (side to side), moisturizing and braiding up that section. Then leaving it braided in a bun or ponytail. So I do 3 braids stacked on top of each other. Here are the results after about a month!

95AF6551-8725-4AB5-8D3E-4FB9ECE92CFD.jpeg
56637DDA-26B4-4B4F-96ED-DEA507B3DE89.jpeg
So thanks again @Chicoro for helping me save my hair yet again! I don’t know what else to say.

HealthyHair2020

View attachment 485749View attachment 485751
This is the content I came to this site for.