Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge - Fall 2011

Hope it's not too late for me to join.

I'm a natural. I don't know If I'm a 4a or anything like that.
My length is mid back.
So far I've done nothing to improve my ends as I don't know what to do because I've tried everything. I think my hair and skin is dry due to hard water, not sure though.
The issues I'm having with them are they're dry, thinning out, breaking off, splitting, and all of my hair looks dull to me.
First I plan on figuring out if we have hard water. After I take care of that, I plan to cut off some of my ends to start all over. Next I plan to use little or no heat at all because I know that is a culprit as well. I plan to learn how to use Ayurvedic powders in my hair. I plan to do more hot oil and deep conditioning treatments, to co wash more, to use sulfate free shampoos, and whatever else will help

Please come back and explain how you Ghana braids. I need to figure out how to stretch without heat. My length must show without damage. :lol:

No prob, i'll do it when i take my twists out, i just did them on Sunday tho so i'm planning (hoping) to keep them in for at least a week so feel free to try it before then :D

Totally understand. I'm in the twist it up challenge through December so I'm not stretching my hair for a while. So I was try to live through you :yep:

But I definitely will try it at some point.

lushcoils, I posted a video above showing how its done so you can check that out, i'll definitely post pics the next time i do it, not sure how i'll demonstrate the difference it makes but i'll find a way.

oh faithVA, i can tell that we are gonna be friends....

I definately want healthier ends. I feel mine are okay, but there's nothing wrong with improvement!!!

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc

Natrual/ transitioning (80% natural)
2. Current Hair Length
SL, just about

3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends
Since they're the last bits of my relaxed hair, they're quite limp/ won't hold a curl well at ALL, at least not compared to my natural hair that won't let a curl go to save its life. They're somewhat bushy/ flair out at the tips, like a nail polish brush, but thicker.

4. What you have tried to improve your ends
sporadic cuts/ chops. that seems to work, i suppose, but it's quite drastic. I baggy every once in a while/ when i'm wearing buns

5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends

BAGGYBAGGYBAGGY!

This will be my first challenge. I am having serious issues with my ends.

1. I am currently relaxed.
2. Shoulder Hair Length
3. My ends are dry, brittle, does not retain moisture, break constantly
4. I have tried acv rinse, henna, protein, cream moisturizers, oils, water, bunning, dcing, steaming
5. I am going to cut back on the protein, find a moisturizer my hair likes, and hide my ends

2. Shoulder Hair Length
4. I have tried acv rinse, henna, protein, cream moisturizers, oils, water, bunning, dcing, steaming
5. I am going to cut back on the protein, find a moisturizer my hair likes, and hide my ends

Welcome GIJane, Wishing you luck with your ends.

My ends have been feeling soooo amazing!! Absolutely no knots, no breakage, very very light shedding the works!!! :woot: I've been strictly bunning and moisturizing with plain ol water and sealing my ends with my oil/shea butter mix daily. I'm itching to straighten it again but I'm trying so hard to hold off. I need my ends to be in tip top condition next time I break my flat iron out.

Did a twist out today and my ends are still looking good, my roots though...I need to twist tighter. These twists are almost 2 weeks old and my roots are fuzzy.

Once again, I am baggying. I've saturated my ends with EVOO in preparation for tomorrow's wash and cassia treatment.

I am trying baggying my ends for the first time. I bought some cheap plastic wrap to use for my henna treatments. I misted my twist with SM mist and then wrapped the plastic around sections of my twist and banded with goody bands. I put my bonnet on and going to see how it goes in the morning.

Ive tried baggying my entire head but it makes my scalp burn so hopefully this works.

Washed my hair tonight and i'm DCing at the moment with ORS Replenishing Condish, EVOO and salt, i'm gonna sleep in it tonight and wash it out in the morning. I'm supposed to go out with the Hubby in the morning so i probably wont be threading until in the evening. Let you all see the results Monday.

My hair came out VERY soft and smooth, had soooo much curl definition, which i never, EVER get so i'm pleased with that. My ends didnt come out as moisturized and nice as the last time i did this, next time i wont leave it in as long, i was just really tired last night. Its definitely a keeper tho.

i ended up using heat. once on wash day and once today becuae my hair is just too poofy. its still poofy but a little more behaved. now i see splits:sad: i think i might just use heat 1x a month

I don't have any conclusions on my first time baggying my ends :ohwell: I'm not going to do it again tonight but I will probably try it again this week sometime.

My ends are starting to get kind of dry but I've been lazy with caring for them it's down to 2x a week for moisturizing and sealing verses 2x a day so I'll get back. I also have a dusting coming up so I'll see what comes of it.

[USER=131943 said:
silenttullip[/USER];14485447]My ends are starting to get kind of dry but I've been lazy with caring for them it's down to 2x a week for moisturizing and sealing verses 2x a day so I'll get back. I also have a dusting coming up so I'll see what comes of it.

Yes its definitely time to get back on them. Especially this time of year. We are so close to the end of the year, keep loving those ends as your early christmas gift.

I'm really kind of depressed. I try to document my hair length regularly, usually once a month. I did it today and I am still battling the issue of my right side being longer than my left. I cant stand it! Its been like that all year! I even had my ends trimmed even in the back two relaxers ago by a stylist. I just dont understand what I am doing that is killing my left side ends. I am so bummed. I didnt have this much trouble retaining when I first started out.

[USER=77239 said:
LaidBak[/USER];14485837]I'm really kind of depressed. I try to document my hair length regularly, usually once a month. I did it today and I am still battling the issue of my right side being longer than my left. I cant stand it! Its been like that all year! I even had my ends trimmed even in the back two relaxers ago by a stylist. I just dont understand what I am doing that is killing my left side ends. I am so bummed. I didnt have this much trouble retaining when I first started out.

Are you sure its a retention problem? Is it possible that one side of your hair grows faster than the other? How many inches difference is it between the left and the right?

I am sure one side of my hair is longer than the other but because my hair is always up in twist its not noticeable.

I guess its possible. But there was a period when I first joined LHCF, from Dec 08 to Dec 09 when I had good retention and even growth. That leads me to believe I am doing something wrong now.
Over this past summer I realized my fake bun was breaking my hair, so stopped wearing it, got a trim, and went hard on the growth aids on that side. She cut it even; now its uneven again. I wanna cry! I guess I have no choice but to cut the ends even again. *sigh*

Oh, the difference is I guess about a half an inch.

I guess its possible. But there was a period when I first joined LHCF, from Dec 08 to Dec 09 when I had good retention and even growth. That leads me to believe I am doing something wrong now.
Over this past summer I realized my fake bun was breaking my hair, so stopped wearing it, got a trim, and went hard on the growth aids on that side. She cut it even; now its uneven again. I wanna cry! I guess I have no choice but to cut the ends even again. *sigh*

I know you are feeling down. But before you get too far into this decision

Are you wearing your hair down often enough that the difference is noticeable? Because there have been others who had issues and over time it evened out. It is not uncommon that as our hair grows that it changes the way it acts. So 09 was a long time ago.

Before cutting it again, maybe you can figure out first what you may be doing wrong. You never know, you might be able to salvage what you have grown so far.

You have a point; I plan on wigging it for the foreseable future. Maybe I can just let it ride a few more months while I hide my hair.

You have a point; I plan on wigging it for the foreseable future. Maybe I can just let it ride a few more months while I hide my hair.

Whew :look: - While you are wigging it maybe you can try doing scalp massages on a weekly basis. If one side is growing slower than the other, maybe stimulating the scalp will adjust it without your having to do anything major.

It sounds crazy but its possible. Lots of women usually have circulation issues in the crown so the hair grows slower. Perhaps you are having this issue is another area. Just a thought. Don't think it can hurt.

Whew :look: - While you are wigging it maybe you can try doing scalp massages on a weekly basis. If one side is growing slower than the other, maybe stimulating the scalp will adjust it without your having to do anything major.

It sounds crazy but its possible. Lots of women usually have circulation issues in the crown so the hair grows slower. Perhaps you are having this issue is another area. Just a thought. Don't think it can hurt.

I used to do scalp massages every night. I think I will put them back into rotation!
Applied butter and oil to my ends, and cross wrapped for bed.

My ends are looking dry today. Chunky twist out is looking DRY :nono:. I think I wanna take my steamer for a spin tonight.

2. Shoulder Hair Length

Hey ladies. My ends feel great today. I think I found a regimen for my dry ends issue. At least my ends are holding more moisture. Last night and added a tsp of salt to my conditioner. I dc'd for like 2 hrs and then rinsed it out. I then used a dime size of Oyin 2 min mask. Concentrating mostly on my ends. I sealed with shea butter. Bunned my hair and tied it down. This morning my ends wear soft and moist (a little damp). I am currently deployed in Aghanistan (dry heat). 12 hrs later from taking my scarf off my ends are still soft and moist. I didn't even use a baggy. That's a total of over 26 hrs since I rinsed out the conditioner. I got the ideal of adding salt to my conditioner for this thread. Please check it out. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=262381 :yep:
I will come back and let you know how long my ends stay moisturized.

I've been m&s'ing religiously for the past few weeks and finally, my ends feel moisturized! My hair must have really been dry because I had no idea it could even feel like this. Thank goodness. Now that I'm on the right track with my ends, I just have to stick to it. :yep:

Back