Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge - Fall 2011

So my hair still dries out extremely fast. Not sure why. I've been using Nap85's shea butter mix to seal and while it feels nice and soft when I apply it, after about an hour or so it's dry all over again. :nono: I'm considering going back to my former beloved Softee Indian Hemp hair grease :love: for heavy sealing with my wet bunning. I hope it helps. My SSK's have gone down but my hair still never feels moisturized. I'm still trying to cut down on products and solidify a regimen for myself so we'll see what happens. I've also joined a 6 month protective style challenge so hopefully that helps too.

LaidBak I am loving that pic of you in your siggy. I am going to see if I can copy this style.

Wish me luck because I see a fight of epic proportions headed my way! LOL

Last edited:
@LaidBak I am loving that pic of you in your siggy. I am going to see if I can copy this style.

Wish me luck because I see a fight of epic proportions headed my way! LOL

I have more pics of it if you need them. I wish I could get someone to recreate it for me. I lived overseas when I had that done. The stylist I had LOVED to do twists.

Been wearing this twist out for the past week. Its actually been good to have my hair out to really get a good look at how it behaves. Vs I've been under a wig for the past like year basically. I probably would've noticed earlier that I needed to really amp up the protein/ doing too much with the moisture/steaming had I been wearing it out more.

It actually feels weird, I've just been in this moisture moisture moisture mindset for so long, I'm always still afraid of protein.

I'm scared of protein too. Imani. Protein overload lead to my BC. I need to find an extremely light protein or really up my protein intake

Sent from my EVO

Moisturizing has helped. Wore a twist out yesterday, didn't twist it up last night and just put on my bonnet. Wore my twist out today and then came home and just went to sleep on my satin pillow case. So my hair has been loose for a bit. Was able to easily separate my hair and twist it into sections without any major tangling or difficulty. So that's an improvement.

Didn't push it though. I misted it with water and twisted it up to be ready for tomorrow. Putting on my bonnet now.

using terresentials hair wash last night has made my ends super smooth, I wont know how long that will last as I'll be washing agaun today as I continue the detox

I want to join.

I have chronic see through ends and I have reached BSL twice only to have it cut off because of see through ends

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
relaxed
2. Current Hair Length
somewhere between SL and APL, just cut it from bsl
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends

thinning and see through

4. What you have tried to improve your ends
not enough

5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends

bought a seamless comb
hot oil treatments
henna
proper buns

i did a roller wrap and my ends look and feel great. i think direct heat was doing more damage than i thought. i will only use direct heat for my touchup days so i can get a precise trim otherwise i much prefer the body and thickness of my hair when i rollerset.

My ends don't feel luscious yet but they are ok.
I rinsed under the shower and my ends felt just a little rough.
I applied castor oil mix and coated my hair with conditioner and steamed. My ends felt really good.
Rinsed and applied shea butter, my ends feel a little rough but not terrible. I'll take it :lol:

I am still working the conditioner through my hair with the tangle teezer and apply shea butter immediately after I rinse out the conditioner.

Going to stick with this for a while.

Im in the SL by Dec challenge, so I am really really trying to protect my ends right now. I'm close and I want to retain every centimeter. Soooo, I'm half wigging today. If I can stand it, I will half wig all week. I applied some butter to my ends and tucked them into a stocking cap.

faithVA, :wave: if it's not too late, I wanna join.

If you
1. had healthy ends but damaged them in some way
2. have ends that are dry, brittle, bushy
3. have ends that are thin, breaking or brittle
4. have breakage you just want to get rid of

5. or fill in the blank

this challenge is for you.

To join, post
2. Current Hair Length less than an inch from apl, again :ohwell: (see my siggy)
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends My ends have never been 'good,' but I've been working on them since I joined, first by transitioning to texlaxed. That's helping, but I'm still growing out some crown breakage that makes my hemline look 'W-ish'. :nono:
4. What you have tried to improve your ends I got a trim in August, from apl back to about an inch past sl. It was drastic, but I felt good about the result. It took off the remainder of the relaxed ends and gave me a good place to start getting serious, lol. I did a dusting last week and, while the crown is definitely lagging behind, it's coming along nicely (ie, not looking raggedy which would mean it had broken off since salon trim).
I want to try to keep up with my every-relaxer-dustings, for one. I've been sealing with jojoba oil recently and I'm moisturizing/ cw'ing with Wen (I was a pj for a while, but I came back home to my boo :love:), so I expect good things. This might be the first fall/winter since I was a little girl that I actually manage to retain some growth! :lachen: :perplexed

Answers in orange, I was feeling autumnal. :look: Hope it didn't hurt your eyes.

LivingDol1, Alter Ego makes a good garlic DC, it doesn't smell at all.

After a week of using that hand lotion, I have to report that my ends are soft and really manageable. It left my hair much heavier/greasier than I would have preferred, but since I bun all the time that wasn't really a problem. What did bother me most was that I didn't care much for the smell of it. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't as :lick: as most other products I've ever used. Even still, I think I may use it every other day just to keep my ends moisturized.

I want to join.

I have chronic see through ends and I have reached BSL twice only to have it cut off because of see through ends

relaxed
2. Current Hair Length
somewhere between SL and APL, just cut it from bsl
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends

thinning and see through

4. What you have tried to improve your ends
not enough

bought a seamless comb
hot oil treatments
henna
proper buns

Welcome to the challenge sharifeh

I mixed my modified version of the Kimmaytube leave-in this weekend and I swear my ends feel amazing! I wore a bantu knot out today and my hair looked and felt great all day. I will do the GHE tonight and wear it up tomorrow.

i like oils for sealing better than serums. when i use serum it feels like my hair dries out by the next day. my hair feels better with the oil but it also feels oily to the touch. perhaps i need a lighter oil? i am looking into jojoba oil.

i like oils for sealing better than serums. when i use serum it feels like my hair dries out by the next day. my hair feels better with the oil but it also feels oily to the touch. perhaps i need a lighter oil? i am looking into jojoba oil.

Jojoba is good. Sunflower oil is also very light. I can put it on my hair and it doesn't feel oil. It seems to absorb pretty well.

I mixed my modified version of the Kimmaytube leave-in this weekend and I swear my ends feel amazing! I wore a bantu knot out today and my hair looked and felt great all day. I will do the GHE tonight and wear it up tomorrow.

Im sorry I took so long to try this in earnest .... works wonders!!!!

I agree with FaithVA seruems have a tendency to dry out hair and Ive fallen in love with light oils, they do the job well without being overly oily. Im enjoying sweet almond and walnut oils now

faithVA yup yup stick to it girl, we're gonna have those luscious healthy ends soon !!!!

After a week of using that hand lotion, I have to report that my ends are soft and really manageable. It left my hair much heavier/greasier than I would have preferred, but since I bun all the time that wasn't really a problem. What did bother me most was that I didn't care much for the smell of it. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't as :lick: as most other products I've ever used. Even still, I think I may use it every other day just to keep my ends moisturized.

when I was relaxed I used to use a body shop body butter on my ends, was devine

Quick update: I'm in twists again so leaving my hair alone. I'm still dry baggying tho and it is great! The top 3/4 of my hair is soooo soft and moisturized! The ends feel better too but still not where I want them to be.

Side note: don't sleep on threading (Ghana braids)!! I get blow dryer results without a wave of heat!

Quick update: I'm in twists again so leaving my hair alone. I'm still dry baggying tho and it is great! The top 3/4 of my hair is soooo soft and moisturized! The ends feel better too but still not where I want them to be.

Side note: don't sleep on threading (Ghana braids)!! I get blow dryer results without a wave of heat!

Khaiya, Is that right? Are you threading large sections of hair or doing small sections}

say what now ?!?!

please dont be dropping bombs on us and walking away.... whats this threading thing, Ive seen vids for it as a protective style, how are you using it as a straightening method

faithVA i did about 10 sections the first time, it still stretched it but of course smaller sections work better so the next time i did 16 sections, 8 on each side and man i was seriously impressed! My hair was tangle free and looked like i'd used a blow dryer (not this was on freshly washed, shrunken hair) If i ever want to flat iron i'll skip the blow drying and just thread it instead, altho i dont know when i'll want to flat iron since threading makes my hair so loose already.

SimJam, i just do threading for stretching purposes, i haven't perfected it to the point of wearing it out yet so i do it, leave it in overnight and then take them out in the morning and style as i wish. I had posted a link to a great channel that shows the threading, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/GirlsLoveYourCurls#p/u/14/nG2Kn2GznMY

@faithVA i did about 10 sections the first time, it still stretched it but of course smaller sections work better so the next time i did 16 sections, 8 on each side and man i was seriously impressed! My hair was tangle free and looked like i'd used a blow dryer (not this was on freshly washed, shrunken hair) If i ever want to flat iron i'll skip the blow drying and just thread it instead, altho i dont know when i'll want to flat iron since threading makes my hair so loose already.

@SimJam, i just do threading for stretching purposes, i haven't perfected it to the point of wearing it out yet so i do it, leave it in overnight and then take them out in the morning and style as i wish. I had posted a link to a great channel that shows the threading, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/GirlsLoveYourCurls#p/u/14/nG2Kn2GznMY

Thanks Khaiya. We would love to see a picture next time you do it. :yep: With the thread in and after would be nice :yep: Yes I am begging :grin:

No prob, i'll do it when i take my twists out, i just did them on Sunday tho so i'm planning (hoping) to keep them in for at least a week so feel free to try it before then :D

Back