Maintaining my pressed hair...

rosie

I recently pressed my hair (A week ago today). It wasn't a very hard press, but none the less a press. I used the pressing comb on my kitchen stove. Old school, I know, but I do what I do. My flat irons are cheap and do no work well on my hair.

I pressed for three reasons:

1. My hair was so tangled and in need of a decent trim to get rid of spli ends.
  2. I wanted to see how long it was so that I can get to BSL this year.
  3. My dds want pressed hair for Easter and I need to practice so that I don't mess them up.
My siggy pic is a picture of the back of my pressed head. More pics are in my album.

Now that I am pressed, I get a lot of hair in my brush, hands, combs on a daily basis. I don't want to lose my hair, it took me too long to grow it out. Most of the hairs are not from the root and I think that they are breaking off. I'm sure that I need moisture and have tried the ends baggying routine. Still hair.

My questions are:
  1. What can I do while my hair is pressed to stop that from happening?
  2. How do I get moisture into my hair without reverting my hair? What about moisturizing close to the scalp?
  3. What products should I use to do this with? I pressed with a shea/castor oil blend. I baggyed with Parnevue Tea Tree leave in sealed with the same shea/castor mix.
Any other press maintenance advice would really be appreciated.

rosie

No information to contribute. Except you have a nice head of hair in your avatar.

Thank you for the compliment.

Wow, I got dropped back to page 3 in such a short time.

So I'll bump for some responses.

Last edited:

lisana

I've used Aveda anti-humectant in the past when i was natural. I think that either Mizani or optimum has a relatively new line for those who press/flat iron. I also think moisturizing serums like Fantasia moisturizing serum in the clear bottle with green top can also help to moisturize and protect from reversion.

lisana

your pressed hair looks really lush and thick. I don't know why it's shedding but I would imagine it's because you haven't mastered the press yet or because your hair is adjusting to the heat you used. Just make sure to do your regular protein and deep conditioning.

cuteazz1

Back when I used to press my hair I used to deep condition with warm coconut oil mixed with conditioner for half a day.I never got and breakage so maybe that could help.I also mage sure to not wear my hair down so that it would not touch my clothes.

Nola Darling

What I do when my hair is dry but I still want to keep my press is apply some Sunsilk Straighten Up Creme or Neutrogena Triple Moisture Foam on the ends of my hair. I try my best not to get any near my roots. I put my hair into a pony and roll it up into a satin roller.

I go to sleep and when I wake up my hair is moist again! HTH!

Twisties

Try reviewing Pinkskates tips on pressing and there are a few other experts at this that I can't remember right now.

You are probably going to have to change what you press with to proect you hair from dryness....the modern chics on the site:)-use serums for protection. I am old school too, but am working on not using my old fashion ways with pressing:grin:. Do a search on the serums and heat protectants like Paul Mitchell Skinny, Chi, Aveda etc.

Not much help, but a start.....good luck.