MANE N'TAIL?

SouthernGirl

Re: MANE N\'TAIL?

I'm using the regular one- the original formulation (that was meant for horses /images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

Desert Skye

this shampoo and conditioner was really big when i was growing up. I didnt use it because i thought the bottle was kinda cheesy. But I remeber my friend using it and her hair was in good shape.

SouthernGirl

[ QUOTE ]
glossyxlipz said:
this shampoo and conditioner was really big when i was growing up. I didnt use it because i thought the bottle was kinda cheesy. But I remeber my friend using it and her hair was in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Glossylips,

You are right, the bottle looks horrible. If they packaged that stuff a little better, added a little fragrance, and got rid of the "model" horses and used regular models, it would sell like hotcakes!

Also, TammieMatthews: I'm definitely going to start using this again, but I will admit that the leave-in conditioner is a bit "harsh feeling" after it dries- maybe because of the protein as someone else stated. Once you work with it a while and add a little oil, it just makes your hair feel stronger. I lost nearly 0 strands during the whole process which never happens- even when I've tried more expensive shampoos/cond. Looks like me and my doggy will be sharing hair products /images/graemlins/laugh.gif!

I just dunno about using it on your baby's hair (not sure how old she is) since their hair is so fine. Maybe something really gentle would be okay until she gets a little older?

SG

MonaLisa

Aw hells bells...now I'm gonna have to cop some Mane N Tail (the horse version). I remember using it back in the day and I found it to be drying...but I didn't know about following up protein with moisture..now I do...so I'll give it a try.

And I looked at SouthernGirl's Mane N Tail pics and I'm sick I tell you...just sick... /images/graemlins/ill.gif from lookin at that gorgeous hair.

Belated congratulations on your engagement SG! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

SouthernGirl

Hi MonaLisa /images/graemlins/wave.gif,

I am gushing over here from all the compliments! You had me cracking up over here, because that's the same thing I said when I saw this post- yet another product for me to try!

Definitely give it a shot, but after you shampoo w/the horse stuff, shampoo w/CON (red lable). I literally just run a little through my hair to moisturize and detangle it. It's what I did back in the day and still works! Actually, any moisturizing shampoo should work. Let us know how you like it afterwards.

Hey NYCQT /images/graemlins/smile.gif,

I'm going to try to use it once per week, maybe even twice, but I don't think the directions say. I think they originally thought people would just be using this on their pets until it became popular.
SG

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGirl said:
Definitely give it a shot, but after you shampoo w/the horse stuff, shampoo w/CON (red lable). I literally just run a little through my hair to moisturize and detangle it. It's what I did back in the day and still works! Actually, any moisturizing shampoo should work. Let us know how you like it afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Oh Lawd....I wasn't even thinkin bout steppin to the shampoo! I'm scurred! I was just gonna try the conditioner and follow up with some Humecto or NTM...

Summin bout that shampoo...scared I'll step back out of the shower lookin like Jay-Z's twin Joe Camel... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Nonpareil

I used to use the leave-in back in my teens, when I was relaxed. The conditioner coats the hair a lot, but it's usually smooth so it ain't so bad - seems to protect from the heat a lot too. I did achieve length while using it.

SouthernGirl

[ QUOTE ]
MonaLisa said:
[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Oh Lawd....I wasn't even thinkin bout steppin to the shampoo! I'm scurred! I was just gonna try the conditioner and follow up with some Humecto or NTM...

Summin bout that shampoo...scared I'll step back out of the shower lookin like Jay-Z's twin Joe Camel... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Mona, DO IT, DO IT!! Don't be scurred /images/graemlins/smile.gif Peer pressure is something else, huh? LOL

I'll be the Guinnea pig!

mrslee

Love yourself first!

I think I will by some this weekend and give it a whirl! It worked really well when I was a natural back in my teens and I had hair past bra strap back then! I wonder why I stopped?!

musiclova

[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGirl said:
This was my staple back in the day, and I promise my hair was the longest it had ever been- below bra-strap! I used the shampoo, leave-in conditioner, and a little African Pride Hair grease, and it did WONDERS for my hair.

I tried using it earlier this year, and I just didn't like the way it made my hair feel. It definitely felt stronger, but it seemed to dry it out a lot. It also seemed to leave a film on my hair. I don't know how it worked so great back in the day, but I know others that swear by the stuff. Oh- I also used to use Creme of Nature as a second shampoo to help w/the tangles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Southerngirl, when you used mane and tail and it worked for your hair were you relaxed then? Some shampoos work different depending on what else you use in your hair. I used it for a while but anywhere it touched my skin it would itch. It was irritating to me but it worked okay.

hairlover

i used it back in high school, and it made my hair long, but it also made my hair very thin and dry so i stopped using it. /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

SouthernGirl

Hey Musiclova /images/graemlins/wave.gif,

Good question. I actually had relaxed hair then as well, so I don't know what happened? The only thing that was different is that I was oiling my scalp then with LOTS of grease, and putting moisturizer on my ends. As I got older, I ditched the oil b/c I wanted my hair to be flowy. WRONG /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif!

I started using it again and knock on wood, it seems to be working out, but this time I also went back to using lots of oil (WGO).

SG

SouthernGirl

[ QUOTE ]
mrslee said:
I think I will by some this weekend and give it a whirl! It worked really well when I was a natural back in my teens and I had hair past bra strap back then! I wonder why I stopped?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, duh??

By the way, those of you who use it now or used it back in the day, was your hair relaxed or natural? I'm wondering if our hair was in a different state when we first started using it, as MusicLova pointed out. I wonder if it works better on relaxed or natural hair, or if it even makes a difference?

MonaLisa

[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
MonaLisa said:
[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Mona, DO IT, DO IT!! Don't be scurred /images/graemlins/smile.gif Peer pressure is something else, huh? LOL

I'll be the Guinnea pig!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawd...folks on here are a trip and a half! Right now..I'm stretching my touch up time...I don't want to overdo the protein -- but perhaps after touch up time...I will sneak the shampoo in. LOL.

pearlygurl

I went to Sally's to buy it...but the lady told me not to because it would revert my relaxer. Do any ladies w/relaxers successfully use Mane & Tail?

Jenai

Once hair is relaxed, it cannot revert to it's natural state. I think some of the ladies who have posted on this thread used M n' T while relaxed. HTH

Mochalolita

Hey PG...i have a relaxer...matter of fact, I'm well overdue for a touch-up. I used Mane n'tail a couple of days ago, and if anything, it made my new growth very soft and manageable /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hugs,
Crys