Members WITHOUT Pics, Avatars & Fotkis

MissMasala5

What are the reasons for this? I'm curious, as this is a hair forum and pics just seem to be the best at describing hair length, condition, texture, techniques and such.

What are the reasons for this? I'm curious, as this is a hair forum and pics just seem to be the best at describing hair length, condition, texture, techniques and such.

• Some like the anonymity.
  • Some women's SO/DH have a problem with it.
  • Some don't have a scanner/or digital camera
  • Some women are waiting to feel more comfortable and then they will post.
  • Some have stalkers who know about this site and it is safer for them to remain pic-less.

A) Don't have a digicam

But also, I don't think that posting pics is necessarily the only/ best way to describe "hair length, condition, texture, techniques and such." Through the art of communication, there are many ways for people to understand exactly what 'you're working with.'

This reminds me of a thread sometime ago regarding whether LHCF fold would be more willing to take advice from someone with pics than without pics.

• Some have stalkers who know about this site and it is safer for them to remain pic-less.

Add to this list:

• People are thieves.
  • People post links to this website from other websites and yes even if you aren't a member you can still see some of the pics.

I don't have a camera. I don't really take pictures of other things/people, so I can't justify buying a camera just to take pictures of my hair.

I bought a cheap camera phone, cause i was broke and well....... its cheap :look:; i can't see anything, the quality is really badand i refuse to buy another one any time soon.

I might just ask a friend or family to borrow their camera, if i want to take pictures.

1. I've just haven't had the time. I'm mostly on here during work. (ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh :grin:)
  2. I don't really have anything to take pictures of (shrugs). Until I have a better picture to compare it to I'll toss something in a siggy but why so if it'll only be pictures of set-backs :ohwell:
  3. My raggedy ends and uneven thing hair is nothing to be observed :look:

But its nice to see proof. If someone is going to suggest a product or regime, I want to SEE how its working for them. It helps.

But its nice to see proof. If someone is going to suggest a product or regime, I want to SEE how its working for them. It helps.

Well that narrows it down to communication. You can't really see how a product makes your hair "feel like butta" << I love when ppl type that! :lachen:

I think pics are great for seeing progress, esp. when you yourself aren't seeing it when you look in the mirror. Also, to reserve anonymity, one can hide their facial features. Also keeping your albums password-protected should help, too. Thanks for all the comments!

I agree that it helps to see. I wouldn't have believed that the length I have achieved would be possible if it hadn't been for the many generous women who post pictures. However, even members without albums make valuable contributions to our hair care discussions.

I agree that it helps to see. I wouldn't have believed that the length I have achieved would be possible if it hadn't been for the many generous women who post pictures. However, even members without albums make valuable contributions to our hair care discussions.

Thanks, Miss*Tress

The bolded is me. I have a fotki but I have never posted the link to it because i don't have anyy progress pics so I feel what's the point? Now I'm not saying if you shouldnt have a fotki if your hair hasnt progressed. That's just how I feel about my hair.

Once my hair starts progressing I will post my comparison pics for sure:yep:

Sometimes folks don't even know what caused of a good hair outcome (great hairdo, increase length, shine, detangler etc). It could be a combo of a whole bunch of things that even the user isn't aware of. That's why in the end no matter what you SEE, you should always go with what works best for you and try products or techniques which YOU have decided to try.

But trust me, I do understand the temptation of seeing a good result...

Seeing a result is good marketing though :yep:

It is time consuming and hard to figure out how to post pics in theads/posts. Sometimes the pics are too big and I just give up on adding it to posts.

I will say that I wish everyone had to post a pic of their hair in their avatars. I don't want to hear about something that is so easy to do with great results if I don't know your hair is a natural 3b. A natural 4b cannot do some of the things natural 3bs do and expect to get the same results (shiny, sleek rollersets come to mind).

It is a hair board afterall. You can post a pic of your hair without being identified as being Sally, Susan or Sheila. Many do so with back shots, shots of their hair behind the ears, etc.

Just lemme see ya hurr! :grin:

The bolded apply to me.It is not my style to have a Fotki, and I have no desire to. If I ever post another picture, it will be from the back and likely of crappy phonecam quality. I could ask someone to scan a pic or something, but for me to go out of my way to do so would signal an unhealthy obsession IMO. I am selfish with the little free time I have. In addition, I am satisfied to know my own hair and its doing well. I enjoy sharing information, but I don't need validation from other people. When I signed up for this site, I didn't see anything about posting pictures being a requirement for membership, so it is kinda suspect/turns me off when complete strangers are so worried about someone else's hair. There are so many gracious women on here who feel comfortable opening up and sharing, so there are plenty examples of every texture of hair at our disposal, so it really shouldn't be that deep, IMO.We are supposed to be here to improve our own hair. Bottom line, we are a diverse group with many reasons for doing and not doing what we do.

I personally hate the way I look in photos - so I take pics in a way that you can't see too much of me. I agree w/ pics being a neccessary part of communication on the board . How can you ask/give advice without a point of reference for hair type,texture,length for styling options, etc..

I think pics are great for seeing progress, esp. when you yourself aren't seeing it when you look in the mirror. Also, to reserve anonymity, one can hide their facial features. Also keeping your albums password-protected should help, too. Thanks for all the comments!

That's the reason why I bought my own camera, just to see if my hair is making progress

I just started my journey. As I make progress, I'll definitely post pics! I love to see the pictures, they give me hope.

I don't have a camera. I don't really take pictures of other things/people, so I can't justify buying a camera just to take pictures of my hair.

Exactly. And I refuse to since I am trying to save as much $ as possible (aside from my deep conditioner habit)

I do have pics, but I don't update them often. The main reason is simply because I don't really have time. Most time when I am doing my hair I am on my way out or have something to do. It is just too much trouble sometimes.

Not only do I have to take the picture, but I have to upload it, make any size adjustments I need, etc.

I have gotten ready to take update pictures on several occasions and just given up because of the whole ordeal.

I didn't post pics because I figured my hair was nothing to look at. Who wants to look at unhealthy looking, uneven SL hair? So I waited until my hair was healthy and a presentable length to put up an avatar pic :)

• I just recently deleted all my pictures in my old fotki. I need to take better pictures for it especially so it wont be obvious to who I am for the people that might know me.

• I just recently deleted all my pictures in my old fotki. I need to take better pictures for it especially so it wont be obvious to who I am for the people that might know me.

That is a concern, too. I recently password protected mine for that very reason.

I didn't post pics because I figured my hair was nothing to look at. Who wants to look at unhealthy looking, uneven SL hair? So I waited until my hair was healthy and a presentable length to put up an avatar pic :)

I would think someone with the same hair concerns as yours would benefit greatly from your pics of your hair as described. Sometimes a pic is enough to get another person motivated, because then they feel that they are not all alone in their quest for healthier, longer hair.

Back