Men with relaxed/texturized hair

natura87

How do you feel about men that have chemically altered their hair? Would you "allow"/encourage it?

I just found out my cousin texturizes his hair and I feel some sorta way.:ohwell: We were at our grandmothers house over Thanksgiving and somehow it came up, he was like "Yeah, I get a relaxer ever 4-6 months, but I dont leave it on too long though." I literally made this face:perplexed and said "You know I'm judging you right?. He laughed it off, but I feel some sorta way about a grown man relaxing/texturizing their hair.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
i think it should be illegal.

it's a look that should never be encouraged. :nono:

KurlyNinja

:curtain:

Men with relaxed/texturized hair

natura87

He normally wears cornrows and they are past SL in braids...but still. It just skeeves me out.

BonBon

Does he have long hair or something?

I'm not a fan of the obvious relaxed look on men, but if you couldn't tell and he finds it easier or prefers his hair slightly loosened less frizzy it doesn't sound too bad. Twice a year as well.

I find it more eww when they have a touch up every month and the hair is bone straight or bootleg 3C.:look:

TBH I also cringe when black women talk about relaxing/needing a relaxer or turning up at the BSS with a hat on asking for Extra Strength:ohwell: The only difference is I am more used to it. Last time I was there a man and a woman came in separately but both were begging for relaxer and I felt some kinda way about both. I don't say stuff to people though.

Fine 4s

You know I used to feel 'some kind of way' too but then I found out that my stylist texturizes his hair. Interesting that I assumed it HAD to be his natural texture. I wonder if I would feel the same if he was of a different complexion with different facial features...hmmm....

His hair looked curly 3 type... *dang, can't think of any famous people with curly hair at the moment* but curly....latino curly hair dude (you know what I mean.) Then one day I did see some new growth with a different texture, more like my 4b. He basically just combs the relaxer through.....I have NO problems with it. Maybe it helps that he's FOINE...he can do anything and it'll be OK in mine eyes. LOL

Now, bone straight, einh...not so much.....

I just gotta say the double standards on women relaxing vs. men relaxing their hair is something to think about...what's really the difference?

Last edited:

natura87

Does he have long hair or something?

I'm not a fan of the obvious relaxed look on men, but if you couldn't tell and he finds it easier or prefers his hair slightly loosened less frizzy it doesn't sound too bad. Twice a year as well.

I find it more eww when they have a touch up every month and the hair is bone straight or bootleg 3C.:look:

TBH I also cringe when black women talk about relaxing/needing a relaxer or turning up at the BSS with a hat on asking for Extra Strength:ohwell: The only difference is I am more used to it. Last time I was there a man and a woman came in separately but both were begging for relaxer and I felt some kinda way about both. I don't say stuff to people though.

Yeah, He has had long hair for years and he never wears it out. I cant remember the last time he had short hair. I couldnt tell until he brought it up, then upon further inspection I was like ":ohwell:Oh...I see." Its not like Katt Williams straight,it is barely noticeable..I wouldn't have known if he hadn't told me.

Miss_C

Lmao...this conversation reminds me of Martin repeatedly saying "Pretty Ricky...Pretty Ricky what they call him".

Detroit2Dallas

I had a guy in one of my classes that relaxed religiously because he said his hair was to nappy. I told him to never say no mess like that to me ever again and as a matter of fact please dont ever tell a woman that you get a relaxer cause it makes you seem gay and insecure. He also doesnt date brown to dark skin women and thinks hispanic women are the best of both worlds cause they shaped like sistahs but have silky hair. Yes this is a true (ignorant) story. smh

maxineshaw

How do you feel about men that have chemically altered their hair? Would you "allow"/encourage it?

I just found out my cousin texturizes his hair and I feel some sorta way.:ohwell: We were at our grandmothers house over Thanksgiving and somehow it came up, he was like "Yeah, I get a relaxer ever 4-6 months, but I dont leave it on too long though." I literally made this face:perplexed and said "You know I'm judging you right?. He laughed it off, but I feel some sorta way about a grown man relaxing/texturizing their hair.

There is nothing more pathetic in the world than the conk. In any way, shape, or form.

Afrolatina

I can't stand it! lolll
my now husband used to perm his VERY short hair so he could spike it and, because I used to perm many years ago, I could always tell when he over processed it, got scab hair or dandruff and it just would be annoying. Plus his permed hair had such a gross hard texture to it and his hair without it is so shiny and pretty.

Oh my goodness and there is NOTHING worse than a man with long straight hair that walks and swishes their hair around like they look better than YOU with YOUR long straight hair! I never liked long hair on a dude- I guess that's why. lol

I think by a certain age (20's and up) the hair situation probably needs to be worked out, meaning a man has a couple "go to" hairstyles and doesn't do anything that's too over the top. It's like men that do their eyebrows. I understand the logic of trying to groom yourself well- then too I think if you're plucking your eyebrows or processing your hair I think it's a bit of an overkill. Men are supposed to be rugged and just groomed- not too overly done up. You know?

KurlyNinja

I can't stand it! lolll
my now husband used to perm his VERY short hair so he could spike it and, because I used to perm many years ago, I could always tell when he over processed it, got scab hair or dandruff and it just would be annoying. Plus his permed hair had such a gross hard texture to it and his hair without it is so shiny and pretty.

Oh my goodness and there is NOTHING worse than a man with long straight hair that walks and swishes their hair around like they look better than YOU with YOUR long straight hair! I never liked long hair on a dude- I guess that's why. lol

I think by a certain age (20's and up) the hair situation probably needs to be worked out, meaning a man has a couple "go to" hairstyles and doesn't do anything that's too over the top. It's like men that do their eyebrows. I understand the logic of trying to groom yourself well- then too I think if you're plucking your eyebrows or processing your hair I think it's a bit of an overkill. Men are supposed to be rugged and just groomed- not too overly done up. You know?

Example #1 - Katt Williams

ms.blue

If it is not obvious then I don't care but if its bone straight w/ bumped ends or shirley temple curls the picture of a pimp comes to mind.:lachen::lachen:

I'm personally not a fan but I do occasionally like when men straighten their hair if its long.

ATLcutey20

i'm not a fan of men with relaxers, however, Real from 'Real Chance of Love' on VH-1 was my boo (on the right). I would play in his hair all day! :yep:

qchelle

I think it's uber gay. Why? Because that would mean they take an extra step into doing their hair...like women...therefore, it equates to metro/homo behavior. Now if you are gay, then I think it's awesome...but if you date women? That is disgusting. Idc if it's just a lil bit to get some curls/wavy/bone straight, whatever...all gay. And why does a grown man have long hair anyway? Braids? Umm no. That right there would be a no go...forget the relaxer.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
in general, i hate overly styled hair on men. i don't care if it's lovely hair, you should just wake up and go. you shouldn't be having to touch up yo **** and alladat. but that's just me and mines. i wouldn't ever even consider for a minute talking to a guy who did "extra" to his hair. if you know about jojoba oil...:look:

empressri

please, guys BEEN conking their hair back in the day, using s curl kits when i was growing up and in high school. it's nothing new that really shocks me.

just glad my SO doesnt lol!!!

Vashti

I don't really like it on a man I'm dating. It's not masculine. And if his hair looked better than mine he'd have to watch his back because I would be jealous!

nysister

Personally I find it off putting, but hey if it floats their boat.

If I were single, no I would not date a man that did this. This isn't 1955.