Michelle Obama's Hair Is Chemical Free!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imstush

How is the author saying Michelle Obama is a no-lye girl and turn around to report that she is chemical free? arent no-lye relaxers chemicals? I don't know... I always see Michelle with straight hair. It's hard to believe it's chemical free. Maybe this guy didn't use chemical but that does not mean she is chemical free... Her little girls could have possibly gotten their hair from Obama. Her brother was ball so it was hard to guess his hair type.

I agree, that confused me as well. But as far as the bolded there are lots of naturals that wear their hair straightened all of the time and are chemical free. I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

Country gal

I agree, that confused me as well. But as far as the bolded there are lots of naturals that wear their hair straightened all of the time and are chemical free. I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

I was surprised to find out that Jlove was natural because she always wore her straight. It seemed to never revert. I know other naturals that only wear their hair straight. After a while, your hair becomes kinda trained to wear it more straight and less wavy.

TrendySocialite

So this guy is a consultant for Soft Sheen Carlson, but uses Fekkai products?

Or does he use the "upscale" products on his upscale clients?

So he informs/consults on products for the laypeople that aren't healthy for the hair (and product abuse by some of those who use it)

Wow....

Michelle's hair was definitely on point by my mom (a hairdresser) said that Michelle had a couple of some pieces/tracks in her hair.

And for the record, if I'm helping my husband run for public office, esp. POTUS, best believe I'm calling for my OWN STYLIST to ride with me as well! (Hear that Nicole C?)

I think they are trying to reformulate their products, hence his consulting role....still doesn't mean he has to use their products. I've heard him on Steve Harvey....he knows his stuff. Soft Sheen is putting more natural oils in their products, so I'd like to think he had something to do with that.

I'd like to know what type of weave gives that kind of movement with barely moving your head.......cuz I need it.

Honestly, it sounds like a "white girl" (sorry for being politically incorrect) blowout. I really need to learn how to do these for my silk wraps.

envybeauty

didn't realize that there would be so much cause for celebration that she does not have a relaxer.

didn't realize that there would be so much cause for celebration that she does not have a relaxer.

Because it is not the norm, there would be no story if she was relaxed. It wouldn't be a big deal because being relaxed is expected on some level. The fact that she is natural and is going to the white house, well that speaks volumes to me :yep:

*Frisky*

So was this the first time this person did her hair cause I have never seen her hair look like that before...

Puddles

On Cloud 9
How is the author saying Michelle Obama is a no-lye girl and turn around to report that she is chemical free? arent no-lye relaxers chemicals? I don't know... I always see Michelle with straight hair. It's hard to believe it's chemical free. Maybe this guy didn't use chemical but that does not mean she is chemical free... Her little girls could have possibly gotten their hair from Obama. Her brother was ball so it was hard to guess his hair type.

She was probably referring to NOT having a relaxer(lye) in her hair. Most people feel ALL relaxers are lye.

But about being natural and always wearing your hair straight.
I did.
I "Never" wore it in it's natural state. Just because you're natural doesn't mean you have to wear it that way.

You'd be surprised how many naturals are out there wearing their hair straight 24/7. And it's silky and flowing...chemical free.

Plus......I can't picture Michelle with a fro. :nono:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Honestly, it sounds like a "white girl" (sorry for being politically incorrect) blowout. I really need to learn how to do these for my silk wraps.
It's called round brushing. It puts a lot of tension on the hair especially the roots and the heat is applied directly to the hair within the brush.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
So was this the first time this person did her hair cause I have never seen her hair look like that before...

Probably.......she will get better stylists from this day forward. It's part of the territory.

Before....she was just Michelle..........Now she's Michelle Obama.......our future(probably) first lady

envybeauty

Because it is not the norm, there would be no story if she was relaxed. It wouldn't be a big deal because being relaxed is expected on some level. The fact that she is natural and is going to the white house, well that speaks volumes to me :yep:

i guess .

jamaraa

She was probably referring to NOT having a relaxer(lye) in her hair. Most people feel ALL relaxers are lye.

I did.
I "Never" wore it in it's natural state. Just because you're natural doesn't mean you have to wear it that way.

You'd be surprised how many naturals are out there wearing their hair straight 24/7. And it's silky and flowing...chemical free.

I too am surprised at the surprise (and frankly celebration), after all how any women got their hair pressed/hot combed, etc for decades before relaxers existed? The modern equivalent of the hot comb is blow dryer+ flat iron= same result...straight hair.

Southernbella.

Yeah, I will save my celebration for the day she wears twists or a braidout or something. :lachen:

But I do think it's good that black women can see that they don't HAVE to have to use chemicals to have straight hair, since so many of us are walking around with chewed up hair behind relaxers.:yep:

deborah11

I am not surprised and I assumed that she was natural. Most of the time her hair is not pressed. Most of the time it is not bone straight and her texture is very apparent. She's a type 4 something and she and her hair is beautiful! I love her, Obama and the kids!

JustKiya

Yeah, I will save my celebration for the day she wears twists or a braidout or something. :lachen:

But I do think it's good that black women can see that they don't HAVE to have to use chemicals to have straight hair, since so many of us are walking around with chewed up hair behind relaxers.:yep:

Exactly - true, she's not in an afro, but at least she still has the option to rock one, if she so decides. It would be politically unwise to come out there with anything BUT straight hair (though, would her being in an afro make Obama be viewed 'less elitist' or more? :look: ) - we on the forreal, forreal haven't gotten THAT far - but the fact that she doesn't relax - well, it's a start.

jamaraa

Hot combing (just to sum it up, not dealing w/ precise method) is simply the option almost all Black women used before the invention of the relaxer because that's all they had...they switched over to relaxers because it was easier, more versatile, and less expensive and time consuming when that option appeared. The Obamas are wealthy enough to where this is a practical option, but it isn't for most people.

Let's not pretend it's not the same camel, but w/ one hump instead of two...it's still a camel. The fact that people are so happy about this shows us just how far we haven't come. She's not even running for office, so what does her hair have to do w/ anything?

PaperClip

Hot combing (just to sum it up, not dealing w/ precise method) is simply the option almost all Black women used before the invention of the relaxer because that's all they had...they switched over to relaxers because it was easier, more versatile, and less expensive and time consuming when that option appeared. The Obamas are wealthy enough to where this is a practical option, but it isn't for most people.

Let's not pretend it's not the same camel, but w/ one hump instead of two...it's still a camel. The fact that people are so happy about this shows us just how far we haven't come. She's not even running for office, so what does her hair have to do w/ anything?

"Almost all" is a stretch, IMHO, to describe the number/amount of Black women who might've straightened their hair prior to the invention of the hot comb.... It would be very interesting to know, however.... I'd be curious to know how this would break down by geography (north versus south), educational attainment, marital status, for example.

You ask what her hair has to do with anything? Her hair is part of her overall image. A woman's (any woman's) hair is part of her overall look. The existence of this board is evidence of that. Political wives, esp. in these contemporary times, have a role in the electability of their husbands. Just ask John Kerry and his wife, the ketchup lady Teresa Heinz....

anon123

I did.

Definitely are plenty. I've had really bouncy swinging hair from a press. I even caught it in a photo once which is in my fotki from pre2007. Most of my family is press 'n' curl and I've seen many good presses give full bouncy blowing hair.

Personally her hair seemed just a teeeny bit too limp/thin for my taste that night, but it pretty much has always looked good. Maybe I need to go back and rewatch the video to get a closer look.

jamaraa

"Almost all" is by no means a stretch....if they didn't straighten it, they covered it. If this weren't the case, why was the Afro such a big deal in the 1960s? Black hair in it's natural UNSTRAIGHTENED state was hardly seen until the 1970s, the proper combs didn't even exist before then that were available to most people. Considering that most people started straightening the hair of children, I say it crossed almost all social and economic strata.

Yes to point #2....and her hair is STRAIGHT, doesn't matter the means. This story is about HOW it's straightened, the means....but it's straight no matter. It conforms to the social norms. She simply used an different means to achieve it. The HOW here is the only unusual thing.

IMHO, this site and others exists because many people of African descent don't know how to care for African textured hair (esp. those US and Europe based) to it's optimum whatever it's state ("relaxed", "hot combed" or "natural")...and the reason for that is people spent 100s of years covering it up and/or disguising it's true texture. In short, we're out of practice and just getting the proper tools.

Last edited:

Country gal

It is cause for celebration because it proves again that she is breaking down stereotypes for black women. We don't all have to have weaves or have chemicals for folks to accept us. It is good for me to know since I had some issues with other blacks giving me a hard time about being natural in the workplace.

Southernbella.

"Almost all" is by no means a stretch....if they didn't straighten it, they covered it. If this weren't the case, why was the Afro such a big deal in the 1960s? Black hair in it's natural UNSTRAIGHTENED state was hardly seen until the 1970s, the proper combs didn't even exist before then that were available to most people. Considering that most people started straightening the hair of children, I say it crossed almost all social and economic strata.

Yes to point #2....and her hair is STRAIGHT, doesn't matter the means. This story is about HOW it's straightened, the means....but it's straight no matter. It conforms to the social norms. She simply used an different means to achieve it. The HOW here is the only unusual thing.

I agree with this. The article gushed over straight hair, as if it's the holy grail of black women (which it is, I guess). If anyone decides to go chemical free based on Michelle, good for them, but they'd probably be doing it to get hair like hers, not wear puffs and twists and whatnot. All that said, it would still be a positive.

envybeauty

It is cause for celebration because it proves again that she is breaking down stereotypes for black women. We don't all have to have weaves or have chemicals for folks to accept us. It is good for me to know since I had some issues with other blacks giving me a hard time about being natural in the workplace.

did they give you a hard time about wearing your hair unstraightened or straightened with a flatiron/hot comb?

jamaraa

I agree with this. The article gushed over straight hair, as if it's the holy grail of black women (which it is, I guess). If anyone decides to go chemical free based on Michelle, good for them, but they'd probably be doing it to get hair like hers, not wear puffs and twists and whatnot. All that said, it would still be a positive.

I think it's great that people are looking at alternatives to caring for their hair. There's nothing wrong w/ straightening your hair IMHO, by whatever means. I'm just saying it's not like she has dreads or anything...it still conforms to Anglo-American beauty standards, only by the traditional means.

Southernbella.

I think it's great that people are looking at alternatives to caring for their hair. There's nothing wrong w/ straightening your hair IMHO, by whatever means. I'm just saying it's not like she has dreads or anything...it still conforms to Anglo-American beauty standards, only by the traditional means.

I agree.:yep:

Status
Not open for further replies.