Moisturising Pre-poo - Cure for Dryness

CottonandCurls

A while ago chicoro's moisturing pre-poo was posted on this forum. I've posted it on my facebook page for those who are new to this method (see below link). It basically involved drenching the hair in Aloe Vera Juice and oil mixture and then coating the hair with another oil. I've done it and it was amazing! My sister recently also finally took the plung and I'll basically let the results speak for themselves, by posting her before and after. I think is works by locking in the oil and smoothing down the cuticles like nothing else. The question I have for you guys is, do you think this would work if I uses ACV instead? I've run out of AVJ and really need a moisture drenched pre-poo and this is possibly the only thing that works for me. Thoughts please. Many thanks ladies!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cotton-and-Curls-a-Natural-Hair-Journey/191472587590680?ref=tn_tnmn

Attachments

• Before and After.jpg
    Before and After.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 171

CottonandCurls

Thanks fairyhairy! I have tried it with aloe vera juice (i.e. the purist method)and if you've tried everything under the sun and then some and your hair is still dry then this may be worth attempting. Unfortunately I've ran out of AVJ. I'm thinking dunking my hair in ACV may be too harsh. I'm hoping the very wise members on here are able to suggest suitable alternatives to AVJ.

QBOE2001

Your hair looks great...super nice and juicy. May I ask how does it feel? After using the mixture does your hair feel greasy or sticky to the touch?

CottonandCurls

QBOE2001 - the hair is very soft to touch. Once you go in with your second application of just oil (remember the first application is 1/2 cup AVJ with two tablespoon of olive oil) you leave that on for 15-30 mins, ergo your pre-pooing part of the process. You then wash that out. Now, what she did was cowash really really really well to get the excess oil out, that part is key. You should be left with cost hair with little or no oil left. Finally, you style. Now, when you style spritz your hair with the AVJ and olive oil mixture lightly. Add your leave-in of choice and style as usual. This pic is a braid out.

Iwanthealthyhair67

aloe really works as a moisturizer and it strengthens the hair

I used a combination of olive oil and one peeled aloe leaf as a treatment on my wash day, great results noticed that my hair didn't comb out as much...

virtuenow

ACV? Absolutely not. First of all, its too acidic and too harsh. AVJ or AVG has just the right amount of acidity and w/the mixture you don't risk it stripping your hair. With acv, you would have to dilute it by ridiculous proportions before you should think about it touching your hair for this pre-poo mix. Walmart has big jugs of avj for sale, you'll never run out.

CottonandCurls

virtuenow, thanks a million! This is why I love LHCF there's always someone who'll know the answer. Ok, I'll hold off this treatment and try sourcing online. Unfortunately I don't have a walmart in my area.

napbella

I'm trying this right now, I permed yesterday and I used a motions perm bcuz I could not find the vitale perm. I also did something I've never done before, after rinsing out the relaxer, I used joico reconstructor and then neutralized (I'd read somewhere on here about folks using aussie 2min reconstructor before neutralizing and joico is what I had so I used that) I then used a nexxus moisture condish and dc'd under the dryer with jbco protein condish (jury still out on this stuff). Well, I woke up today with crunchy hair, so I drenched it in scurl and it was still not quite right. So now I am trying the chicoro prepoo mixture overnight and we will see what I have in the morning. Or maybe I should only keep it in for a hour or so? Any suggestions?

Aggie

I totally agreee with virtuenow. ACV is very acidic and can cause some serious major drying of your hair. I would not do that if I were you CottonandCurls. Stick with either the aloe vera juice or gel. I use the gel myself and it works perfectly fine.

Aggie

I'm trying this right now, I permed yesterday and I used a motions perm bcuz I could not find the vitale perm. I also did something I've never done before, after rinsing out the relaxer, I used joico reconstructor and then neutralized (I'd read somewhere on here about folks using aussie 2min reconstructor before neutralizing and joico is what I had so I used that) I then used a nexxus moisture condish and dc'd under the dryer with jbco protein condish (jury still out on this stuff). Well, I woke up today with crunchy hair, so I drenched it in scurl and it was still not quite right. So now I am trying the chicoro prepoo mixture overnight and we will see what I have in the morning. Or maybe I should only keep it in for a hour or so? Any suggestions?

Okay @napbella, I think you used too much protein to start with. After a relaxer, it is okay to use a protein treatment followed by a neutralizing poo, followed by a moisturizing conditioner. There is no need to use another protein treatment on top of all this. This would undoubtedly cause your hair to become crunchy/dry.

In addition, if the humidity in your area is less than 65% at any given time, humectants (S-Curl - has glycerine, a known humectant in it) of any kind will have the opposing intended affect on our hair and skin unfortunately. It would dry your hair out even more.

Here's why. Humectants work well in humidities of 65% or higher. Other examples of humectants are propylene glycol, honeyquat and honey. What they do is they bind with water/moisture from the air and drive it into the skin and hair but they need high humidity levels to work effectivley.

But if there is none or not enough moisture/water in the air to bind to, the humectants look somewhere else for the moisture and guess what? The nearest place would be your skin or scalp. So, it draws the moisture OUT of your skin/hair/scalp, causing them to dry out even further.

I would watch the surrounding humidity levels before immersing your hair or skin with a humectant-rich product. HTH!

ETA: Yes the prepoo would definitely help moisturize your hair again. Also, it works well with a little heat as well under a dryer. The longest I kept it in was for about 3 hours and only the last 20 minutes with heat and my hair was wonderfully soft:lick:. I will definitely be using this following my henna treatments under my steamer:yep:.

I don't know how it will work overnight as I have not tried it that way.

Last edited:

napbella

Aggie--I knew most of what you said but for some reason I screwed it up anyway. And I definitely needed reminding of the glycerin/humectants thingie-I'd forgotten all about that becuz I was wondering why the scurl was not doing the job--probably not enuf moisture in the air. Thanks so much for all the good info in your post ;-) .

Honi

There is no board.
Nope. I wouldn't even begin to know what dilution ratios to use to attain the same pH as AVJ. Walmart has it in the vitamin section. That's your best bet. :yep: