Music

anartist4u2001

i don't only listen to songs about Christ. i listen to songs about love and relationship. i don't like music that is overly sexual. listen to R&B, and POP as long as it's not overly sexual.

i also like alternative, and metal as long as it has a good message.

CoilyFields

I feel like we may have had a thread about listening to secular music in the past few months. Dunno...

But the measurement is this: Is this music glorifying sin?

If it is, then why is a christian listening to it? A Black Person is not going to listen to an aryan nation song that hates on black people right? (and would definately not try to use the excuse that they just like the beat...or the song is not talking about them specifically).

I am not opposed to different forms of music but Unfortunately lots of it, especially rap, hip hop, pop, and R&B is explicitly celebrating fornication, drunkeness, revelry, drug use, adultery, violence, pride...I could go on.

Whatever you let in will saturate your spirit and dull your senses to the adverse effects of said sins. God tells us to guard our eyes and our ears. And some of these lyrics will NOT have you thinking on things that are lovely, pure, virtuous, of good report etc.

We had secular music at our wedding reception, but the guidelines were; no swearing, no sex, no mysogenism...basically nothing I wouldnt want to see a child singing or dancing to. And we had a blast! But since its so hard to control that with the radio my station stays on CHristian rock and pop, and gospel.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Do you only listen to gospel music? why or why not? where do you draw the line?

I've shared this in a number of other posts and it's good to bring this up for there are always new Believers who have this question in their hearts.

For me, personally, this radio station is on in my home 24/7. Christian comtemporary music (worship/praise/inspirational). I also listen to it through my computer at my desk at work and when I travel.

I just love this radio station. :yep:

www.wrbs.com

I have it on right now. Even when I have the TV on, my exercise DVD's, or I'm rehearsing a choreography...this station is still on in the background.:yep: I love the 'spirit' behind this music; it's very soothing. :sleep2:

I've been surrounded by many genres of music since I was a baby. Gospel, Classical, Smooth Jazz, Musicals, Soft Relaxing, and R&B.

In addition to contemporary Christian music, my favorites are instrumentals. I love 'strings', piano, wind instruments, percussion. "Pretty Music" with a relaxed flow; and I like percussion (drums) which keep me motivated on the treadmill and when I'm power walking.

I refuse to listen to harsh music or music which glorifies sin, violence, idolatry, or speaks against God. I've left quite a few stores and food places where the music was in bad taste and quite offensive.

Last edited:

makeupgirl

I listen to all types of music but I'm picky about what I listen to. I don't like post-1999 rap. It too confusing and too much cussing. I'm trying to quit cussing so just listening is adding fuel to the party.

As far as gospel music go, I'm turned off by some of these songs out here. The whole point of gospel music should be what the gospel represents: the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ and this is rare in a gospel song now. Most of the songs are very borderline narcissistic IMO. It's not about us or how we feel, it's about giving glory, honor, praise to our Lord and King.