My Ellin Lavar Textures Review

vickyd

Ellin Lavar Textures Review

CVS was having a sale on Ellin Lavar hair products. I remembered her from the Hair Trauma series and decided to give her products a try. Not a difficult decision given my inner product junkie.

I purchased the following products:

NourishOil – touted as an oil to help minimize breakage contains Maracuja Passion Fruit Seed Oil. This product is an oil that has the consistency of water- not oily feeling at all. I will likely try this on my dry hair during the week to see if it has any impact. But for this first use, I couldn’t really say if it did anything or not. Except my dry ends did not appear as dry after I sat under a dryer with a plastic cap and the NourishOil on my hair. I will have to continue to use this product before I can really see if it does anything. But at least, it didn’t seem to harm my hair in any way. This product has no discernible fragrance.

OptiMoist Shampoo – the line’s only shampoo touted as being for all hair types. The smell of the shampoo, as with most other scented products has a light citrusy smell (a bit akin to grapefruit in my opinion) not offensive to me, but not a product that I would buy just for the smell. I used the shampoo (after sitting under the dryer with a plastic cap for about 15 minutes with the NourishOil in my damp hair). The shampoo did not appear to feel very moisturizing and my hair felt a bit hard after using it. To my way of thinking this product feels more like a clarifying shampoo that a moisturizing one – nothing at like my Keracare hydrating shampoo.

SatinSoft Conditioning Rinse and ReconstructMasque Deep Moisturizing Masque – as suggested on Ellin Lavar’s website, I used these two together. First, after towel drying my hair, which as I mentioned felt hard, I began to apply about a quarter sized amount of SatinSoft, immediately I noticed a difference. My hair began to soften. I really like this conditioner. Of course, I have thick hair and I add more conditioner as combed thru my hair with a wide toothed comb. Next, I added the ReconstructMasque all over my hair, but concentrating on mid-shaft to ends. More slip was created. I then covered my hair with a plastic cap and sat under my dryer for another 20 minutes. (Note, I wanted to add a little lift to my color so I added some Sebastians Colourshines in Brilliant Brown and Red-ality) Let hair cool for about 5 minutes. Rinsed, shampooed once and conditioned with the SatinSoft. I must say really liked the way both conditioners left my hair. Now, I am ready for to prepare my hair for rollersetting. To do this I fill my sink with warm water and put in the red rollers that I plan to use. I combed out hair with a wide toothed comb.

PenetratingBalm Deep Conditioning Leave-In Treatment – I like this product, I used as I would my Lacio Lacio or Silicon Mix, I apply to towel-dried hair about a quarter-sized amount and combed through. I added a dime-sized amount of the LiquidGlass Anti-Frizz Smoothing Styling Gel (this has no real fragrance) On top of this I sprayed a bit of DetangleMist Leave-in Conditioning Mist. Then I preceded to rollerset my hair on the red magnetic rollers. Once this was done a sprayed a bit of the ThermMist Hot Tool Styling Maximum Heat Protection lightly over my rolled hair.

I sat under my dryer for about an hour or so and then took out the rollers when my hair was completely dry. I like the way my hair came out off the rollers. Then I wrapped my hair. The real test will be tomorrow when I take my hair down from the wrap to see what kind of hair I wake up to – will it be soft, or stiff, etc. I will keep you guys posted.

Overall, I would give this line of products based on my first use a good rating. I have products that I know that do as good a job or better. But none of the products, other than the shampoo, seemed in anyway harmful to my hair. And my hair feels about the same as when I use my regular products.

I will probably use the DetangleMist on my daughters hair to see how it works for her.

Otherwise, unless I change my mind tomorrow, I believe that I will likely use these products up. Now whether I will buy them again remains to be seen.

HTH
HHG
vickyd

ebbiebaby55

I also purchased Ellin Lavar's products from CVS for the same reason. I only purchased teh balm, but I really like it. It really softens my new growth.

vickyd

Adrian and Gymfreak -- You guys are most welcome. Thanks for reading the review.

JustmeSteh -- I must say that the next day, I really liked my hair. Today a couple of days in, my hair still feels good - not weighed down. Although, I will say not as soft as when I deep conditioned my hair with silcon mix and sweet almond oil. If anything changes, i will be sure to let everyone know.

vickyd

newslady

elizabeth said:
Her products are on sale at CVS this week. Maybe I'll try them.

i'm sitting here with the CVS sale paper in my lap ready how it's buy 1 @ 7.99 get 1 half off.
good review, but it still hasn't swayed me to try it.
i have til saturday 2 decide

ms*x

same sale is going on this week so i looked here first to see hte reviews...but i don't think i'll get it because the reviews i've read have been pretty lackluster.

BrooklynSouth

same sale is going on this week so i looked here first to see hte reviews...but i don't think i'll get it because the reviews i've read have been pretty lackluster.

Ditto. Back on sale at CVS. I've learned less is more thus my acquired purchases will last a long, long time. I watched the show. I saw she focused mostly on weaves not real hair. Only time I recall a fantastic job was done was on a little girl with long, natural hair...she did a great flat iron. No, no money for Ellin.