Nexxus Humectress DC & Ellin Lavar

Coffee

Has anyone used these products? I picked them both up at CVS today. I saw the Humectress Hydrating Treatment Deep Conditioning at Walgreen's yesterday, but they wanted $15 for it; CVS had it for $12. I also picked up a jar of Ellin Lavar ReconstructMasque Deep Moisturizng Masque with Brazil Nut Oil. I just couldn't pass them up. Feedback anyone??????

Esq.2B

I haven't tried either product but your post brings me back to my question about the other Nexxus Humectress (in the bottle) that people have been using to DC. If the DC is the stuff that comes in the jar, then what's in the bottle?

Minty

DC can come in any container.
Does Nexxus have a "jar" based deep conditioner?

Nexxus Humectress (the old formula) was used as a DC because it has a good consistency and did pretty good when left on longer. I think any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner if the ingredients allow. I def. wouldn't consider VO5 DC worthy. LOL

I guess that's like how hair "masks" and "mud" became the new term a couple of years ago.

Esq.2B

DC can come in any container.
Does Nexxus have a "jar" based deep conditioner?

Nexxus Humectress (the old formula) was used as a DC because it has a good consistency and did pretty good when left on longer. I think any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner if the ingredients allow. I def. wouldn't consider VO5 DC worthy. LOL

I guess that's like how hair "masks" and "mud" became the new term a couple of years ago.

Yes, my concern wasn't with the packaging. It was with the instructions on the packaging of the bottle which says only to leave it in for 2 minutes. The jar on the other hand specifies that's it's a deep conditioner.

Also, I don't believe that any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner. I recall a poster discussed the various molecules sizes contained in conditioners and how DCs are formulated to penetrate the strands while regular "instant" conditioners are only formulated only to coat the strands.

I have about 3 bottles of Humectress left and I'm wondering if I should continue to use them as a leave-in only, which is why this matters to me.

Sorry to hijack OP.

Last edited:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I haven't tried either product but your post brings me back to my question about the other Nexxus Humectress (in the bottle) that people have been using to DC. If the DC is the stuff that comes in the jar, then what's in the bottle?

I think they're both usable as DCs. The jar is new though (they just recently launched it...like maybe a month ago), and the bottle is old. The instructions on the bottle say to only leave it for 3 minutes. The instructions on the jar say 3-5 minutes. So neither of them really give "DC instructions".
I've been DCing with the bottle stuff though, and it's really fabulous. I do want to try the the jar formula, just for the sake of it, but $15 for such a small amount (5.5 oz) is not the business. And I kind of feel like they're going to be the same thing, just in different bottles.

Nexxus Humectress Jar Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Stearalkonium Chloride, Dimethicone, Bis(C13-15 Alkoxy) PG-Amodimethicone, Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Isostearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Dimethiconol, C14-15 Alcohols, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Limonene, Disodium EDTA, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Panthenol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Myristic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids, Honey Extract (Mel, Extrait de Miel), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Ceramide 3, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Tocopheryl Acetate

Nexxus Humectress Bottle Ingredients:
Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Bis(C13-15 Alkoxy) PG-Amodimethicone, Stearalkonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Isostearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, DMDM Hydantoin, Dimethiconol, C14-15 Alcohols, Limonene, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Panthenol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Propylene Glycol, Red 4 (CI 14700), Red 33 (CI 17200), Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Polysorbate 60, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Myristic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Honey Extract (Mel, Extrait de Miel), Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Ceramide 3, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Tocopheryl Acetate

Buut...according to the ingredients, they are different. So I guess we'll see.

Please post your experience with the Nexxus, Coffee, once you've tried it? I'm really curious to see how it compares to the bottle.

mariofmagdal

I think I have that Ellin Lavar stuff, it did nothing for my hair, I think I bought the entire line, I know her personally and her family, guess I was being supportive.

Whatever happened to her show? I obviously have been out of the loop. :yep:

Minty

oh, yes the instructions. When I used it I did both. Sometimes I left it on as a regular in shower cond. and other times as a DC w/cap & heat for 15-20 mins. I guess its just a preference.

If you have some left def. use up that stash! I have the old formula spray humect. leave-in. Love it! But when they changed everything, I am just using what I have and move on.

sqzbly1908

The Ellin LaVar line sucked (IMO) the conditioner you are referencing left my hair hair in a horrid/tangled state...

I have not tried to the newer version of Humectress as I have the older version...I am not really feeling the ingredient changes they have made...

Coffee

I think they're both usable as DCs. The jar is new though (they just recently launched it...like maybe a month ago), and the bottle is old. The instructions on the bottle say to only leave it for 3 minutes. The instructions on the jar say 3-5 minutes. So neither of them really give "DC instructions".
I've been DCing with the bottle stuff though, and it's really fabulous. I do want to try the the jar formula, just for the sake of it, but $15 for such a small amount (5.5 oz) is not the business. And I kind of feel like they're going to be the same thing, just in different bottles.

Please post your experience with the Nexxus, Coffee, once you've tried it? I'm really curious to see how it compares to the bottle.

I only paid $12 at CVS, Walgreen's had it for $15, but I passed it up.
I'm going to use the DC (jar) tomorrow night; I'll report back in after I use it. The Ellin Lavar will be going back to CVS tomrrow after I finish threrapy.

tarheelgurl

Who likes the new Nexxus Humectress formula? I have gotten tons of tangling with it and it doesn't work as well as a leave in anymore. I am dreading having to find a new moisturizer.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Not Familiar at all with Elin Lavar.:nono:

I use Humectress and have for years. I have the Bottle and the Tube(s). Haven't seen this product in a Jar?:perplexed

I only have the Original Version of the Humectress.

I have never seen it in a Jar. Do you have a pic?:ohwell:

Coffee

Not Familiar at all with Elin Lavar.:nono:

I use Humectress and have for years. I have the Bottle and the Tube(s). Haven't seen this product in a Jar?:perplexed

I only have the Original Version of the Humectress.

I have never seen it in a Jar. Do you have a pic?:ohwell:

T, check the link in my 1st post, it shows a picture of the jar. I returned the Elin Lavar product. I can't believe there's a product out there you haven't heard of :lachen:. Is the world ending? I still haven't tried the jar of Nexxus I purchased, but I will soon.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
T, check the link in my 1st post, it shows a picture of the jar. I returned the Elin Lavar product. I can't believe there's a product out there you haven't heard of :lachen:. Is the world ending? I still haven't tried the jar of Nexxus I purchased, but I will soon.

You Know You Wrong...Don't You?:rolleyes:

*i love you too*:grin:

ETA: That Jar looks Identical to Kenra's DC'er.

KBA

This is a different product than the conditioner, it is a deep conditioner. Its more moisturizing than the regular conditioner. It's a new product. I like it if my hair is really dry, it is one of the most moisturizing deep conditioners I have tried.