My experience with a white stylist

sithembile

Hi ladies,

I'm new here and I love it! I wanted to share my experience with a white stylist and see if any of you have been to one. I live in a small city in England, and there are a few black salons and I've been through them all, they use really poor products,like greasing my hair with Dax (green vaseline) and I wanted a professional salon but didn't want to go to London. A friend goes to this professional white salon and they are all trained in Afro hair, they used all Affirm and Keracare products, and I liked the steam treatment. But (you know this was coming) I hated the way she dried my hair, she used a blowdrying with a round brush, and she pulled and pulled! Then she smoothed it with a ceramic flat iron. It looked really good, shiny and bouncy. But I don't think I'll go back, I can't stand pulling on wet hair....

PrettyBrownEyes

Sounds like they pretty much knew what they were doing compared to the black salons that you said you visited.

Why don't you ask if she can rollerset your hair instead?

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
Hi ladies,

I'm new here and I love it! I wanted to share my experience with a white stylist and see if any of you have been to one. I live in a small city in England, and there are a few black salons and I've been through them all, they use really poor products,like greasing my hair with Dax (green vaseline) and I wanted a professional salon but didn't want to go to London. A friend goes to this professional white salon and they are all trained in Afro hair, they used all Affirm and Keracare products, and I liked the steam treatment. But (you know this was coming) I hated the way she dried my hair, she used a blowdrying with a round brush, and she pulled and pulled! Then she smoothed it with a ceramic flat iron. It looked really good, shiny and bouncy. But I don't think I'll go back, I can't stand pulling on wet hair....

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome. You could do what I do...only got for cuts and or relaxers at the salon. I do the rest at home. If you are good at setting and styling your hair you could do that yourself.

Sweet C

Yes, ask her to roller set your hair first and if u still want that bouncy look, then tell her to use the round brush and blow dryer after the roller set

diamond_nh

I agree!!! This seems to be the best one out of the ones you tried. You should just tell her what you like and what you don't like. Then if she doesn't listen that would be a different story and I am sure she will.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, ask her to roller set your hair first and if u still want that bouncy look, then tell her to use the round brush and blow dryer after the roller set

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bring my own brush also. I usually take my wide tooth comb to the salon with me.

L

ladybug

kudos to what the others mentioned..i would simply explain to her that you would prefer a roller set versus her doing the wet hair-pulling thing..many white stylist blow dry all of their clients hair like this...just explain to her what you like and i am sure she would adjust her procedure to your needs..the same situation happened to me..and it worked out well in the end after i explained what i like and do not...

ngaa

well thembi thanks for the post coz i kno i'm guilty of not trustin my hair to white stylists coz i'm afraid they dont kno what they doin and to make matters worse my town has absolutly no black hair salons (talk about tiny towns!!) and if i want my hair dont i have to go to either london/ luton which really is out of the question coz i'm afraid that i'll travel such long distances only to go to a scissor happy stylist!!

happy hair growin

sithembile

I know exactly what you mean Ngaa, but anyway, I've decided to go to London next week to get it done, but I WILL be strong and say no to trims! Wish me luck!