my first time at a salon since September 2004!

ladylibra

so... i made the mistake of trimming most of my hair to be even when straight. i still had a layer to grow out, but i noticed that this look wasn't working. the front and top of my hair still looked okay, but the back was starting to look like a mullet. :perplexed

and since i can't cut my own layers, i had to give in and finally go to a salon.

i got a rec from a random curly-haired guy i met at the bus stop, of all places :lol: and decided to give it a shot. i made an appointment for Feb. 2nd. when i went in Friday, i was literally pawed and fawned over by every stylist there - only the woman actually working on my hair had apparently seen my texture before. of course she was a black woman from Cali and her daughter was half-Filipino (i just know i spelled that wrong :blush: ) so... she was no stranger to my hair. she did note that her daughter's hair was coarser and more spiral texture, as opposed to my hair which was apparently a little softer and more tight coils and frizzy 4b bits here and there. when she washed my hair, she noted that it took a while to rinse all the suds out. she told me this was a good thing - my hair was holding onto the suds because i had good porosity, which meant my hair was very healthy. i've never heard this before but... :look: i took it as a compliment, LOL. she originally intended to trim my hair wet, since i normally wear it in its natural state. but since my ends have the most shrinkage and she needed to re-cut layers into my hair, she had to straighten it instead. everything she did was on point - she used a wide-tooth comb, and she used lots of heat protectant to blowdry and flat iron. and she used a CHI :D even though she promised me she was an expert at hot comb presses, i told her i had a bad experience with one way back in the day so i'd rather avoid that. and she mentioned that she doesn't like to use heat on people's hair too often because it is damaging whether you relax or not. "i always say, the less you can use, the better." i was like, JACKPOT!!! :lachen:

i am extremely satisfied with the cut and her friendly service. i'm washing it tonight and going to start trying the baggy method, because she had to trim off all the growth i had from my last self-done trim in December. so i am back at collarbone, not a huge setback just an inch. but i want to protect my ends better so i won't have to trim again until May or June. i have pics in my album, but i'll post my favorite shot here for y'all:

haircut2.jpg

Back