My Flatiron Process. Pics included.

WhoIAm

I wanted to flat iron my hair because I was sick of braiding and wigging it. After I took down my cornrows my hair felt really dry and crunchy.

I pre poo'ed with castor oil, olive oil, brahmi oil, henna and VO5 moisture milk. I tend to combine steps, so I added my henna to my mix. I left that on overnight.

The next morning, I clarified and then dc'ed (under shower cap) with Sally brand Joico KPak, Elasta QP reconstructor and I think I may have added a squirt of Megatek. Again, I combined steps and added Jonh Frieda Clear Shine Glaze to my dc mix. I kept that on about 2 hrs.

Before I rinsed, I divided my hair into sections and detangled with a brush. Keep in mind this is the first time in the process I have brushed my hair. My hair was in cornrows for 3 weeks.

Pics
  1. Hair with dc
  2. shrinkage
  3. Rinsed and sectioned hair
  4. shed hair
  5. Hair after braids, unwashed

Attachments

• DSC04462-1.jpg
    DSC04462-1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC04468-1.jpg
    DSC04468-1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC04471-1.jpg
    DSC04471-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC04521.JPG
    DSC04521.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC04456.JPG
    DSC04456.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 194

WhoIAm

(cont.)

When my hair was damp, I applied HE none of your frizziness leave in and blow dried on the medium and warm setting. I put up in a clip and had to run a few errands.

I divided my hair into about six sections and flat ironed with my Maxiglide on 7. I used my shea whipped butter mix and fantasia IC as a protectant.

On some sections I could get away with one pass if it was thin enough. Most sections were done in 2 passes.

1. Blow out
  2. up in clip
  3. color
  4. sectioned hair
  5. done

Attachments

• DSC04480-1.jpg
    DSC04480-1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC04489-1.jpg
    DSC04489-1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC04526-1.jpg
    DSC04526-1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC04533-1.jpg
    DSC04533-1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC04540-1.jpg
    DSC04540-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 292

WhoIAm

(cont.)

I got my ends clipped (1/4) last August. I'm probably due for another. It took me about 2hrs to flat iron. This is my third time straightening my natural hair. I think I'm getting better.

Attachments

• DSC04556.JPG
    DSC04556.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC04572-1.jpg
    DSC04572-1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC04566.JPG
    DSC04566.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 126

davisbr88

It looks like you use a lot of protein during your process. I have fine and porous hair and am looking into using more protein during mine as well since I think it may be the reason my hair gets puffy so easily since there's not enough protein in it to retain the moisture and is grabbing it from the air. Has the protein help cut down on reversion for you? It looks like the only moisture you utilize a little is during your pre-poo.
Next month will be my third time as well and I am trying to perfect it since I've only been able to enjoy my hair straight for like a day before it gets puffy/frizzy.
Also, how do you like the glaze? I have seen it in the store but have never purchased.

GreenEyedJen

It looks like you use a lot of protein during your process. I have fine and porous hair and am looking into using more protein during mine as well since I think it may be the reason my hair gets puffy so easily since there's not enough protein in it to retain the moisture and is grabbing it from the air. Has the protein help cut down on reversion for you? It looks like the only moisture you utilize a little is during your pre-poo.
Next month will be my third time as well and I am trying to perfect it since I've only been able to enjoy my hair straight for like a day before it gets puffy/frizzy.
Also, how do you like the glaze? I have seen it in the store but have never purchased.

Hey! I have fine, porous hair as well. Flat ironing with protein DEFINITELY helps me in regards to reversion. My technique has since changed, but I used to use Megatek as my "serum" (for lack of a better word) when flatironing. My hair wouldn't revert until wash day, and it had bounce and body, too.

davisbr88

@GreenEyedJen Thank you so much!
I don't want to hijack OP's thread so I am going to PM you my planned process. Do you think you can take a look at it and let me know what you think?
Thanks again to OP. This is the first times I've seen (since I've been here) someone who uses a lot of protein instead of the mostly moisture regimen that many other naturals use to straighten.
Needless to say, I tried that out and still got the second-day poof!

WhoIAm

I'm not sure if the protein or my heat protectant helps with reversion. However, the last time I flatironed, it lasted 2 weeks. It would have lasted longer, but I was bored with it and needed to wash my hair.

I love the glaze and it smells really good.

During my dc's I add a moisture conditioner as well.

lettieg27

@GreenEyedJen Thank you so much!
I don't want to hijack OP's thread so I am going to PM you my planned process. Do you think you can take a look at it and let me know what you think?
Thanks again to OP. This is the first times I've seen (since I've been here) someone who uses a lot of protein instead of the mostly moisture regimen that many other naturals use to straighten.
Needless to say, I tried that out and still got the second-day poof!

Hey Davisbr88, I have fine hair too and I think another way to stop reversion is to add alittle oil to the finished product, it definitely helps me keep my hair straight when I do this.

davisbr88

kestia I would love for mine to last that long! At least a week! I know that the fact that both times I straightened it was humid (I straightened in December and enjoyed it straight for a day while in Maryland, but as soon as I set foot in the terminal in Houston the next day, my hair went POOF!), but at the same time, it was just tooooo much. Like I know people who can be in humid environments and their hair might get a bit frizzy, but not afro big! I also know that the fact that I don't blowdry might contribute but my hair gets straight without it and I don't want to risk the heat damage.
I was thinking of doing the hardcore ApHogee 2-step after shampooing and following up with a protein-free moisture DC for a couple of hours. And then follow-up with the Roux leave-in before airdrying in flat twists. I figured that would produce good results but I can't decide whether it'd be better to use the 2-step or 2-min keratin.
The glaze sounds nice. I may look into that.
And I definitely used Sabino Moisture Block and my hair still got humungo. So that is definitely not the end all be all of preventing reversion for me.

lettieg27 Trust, I tried everything! I definitely added some ceramide oil to my hair afterward and it just didn't do the trick! The only thing that I can think of that could be the problem was trying to utilize a moisture-only regimen like a lot of the other naturals, and it just doesn't work for me having fine, porous hair. When I stepped back and thought about it, it made sense.

lettieg27

Sorry davisbr88 that method doesn't work for you, Im not sure if you've tried this yet or would like this but maybe pressing your hair with oil could help. I use and oil with a high burning point like grapeseed or rice bran, the burning point is 450F, maybe that could help. Hope u can figure out a way to prevent reversion.

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
Hey op, your hair looked great! One thing that I would recommend or looking into is finger detangling instead of brush. I have saved so much hair and my retention has greatly increased.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Long Hair Care Forum App

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
I do mine on dry hair before shampooing. My hair is saturated with pre-poo oil and I go from section to section to get out tangles. This allows me to get out those knots and tangles with saving as much hair as possible because in the past my denman would rip right threw them.

Once I wash( in sections 2 now since longer hair) I use an oil to do an oil rinse and while the water running down my hair I take my hand and finger comb to get out any more shed hair or tangles that I may have received from shampooing my hair. I then use conditioner on top of the oiled hair and finger comb each section too. By the time I rinse. All the shed hair is gone and I dont' have breakage.

I would have balls of hair from my denman brush and I thought it was due to natural shedding but now since I have been doing the dry detangling before shampooing my broken hairs have went down to about 10% or less for total "shed" hairs.

Also, I do low manipulation styles so I don't have to have my hair comb glide proof. So, that is another plus for me.

I hope this helps!

davisbr88

@lettig27 Hey! No, I've never tried pressing with oil, though my stylist used to when I was younger but my hair was heat trained, which I am trying to avoid. I want my curls back after all of this! I'm pretty sure she did not use a high burning point oil though. I will try it one day probably.
Thanks so much for your help everyone.
Sorry I hijacked OP! Your unique regimen came just in time!