My hair dried in like 45 min. under this dryer!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I'm amazed but scared at the same time. My hair was pretty much dry in 45 minutes except a couple little damp spots. Now this is shocking to me because it usually takes me an hour and a half or more. The thing that scares me is that this drier is very closed in, meaning you actually tie the bonnet in the back so no air escapes. I'm wondering if this thing is safe? Does anyone use this dryer? I'm scared there's too much heat trapped in the bonnett:ohwell:.

It's a Select Pro Gold soft bonnet.......
0065577200595_215X215.jpg

I ordered this from Walmart but had to send it back cuz mine was defective. But that bonnet blew up really big and puffy when the dryer was set to high. I had a hard time keeping it on my head cuz it kept slipping off.

I don't have the one you mentioned but one similar..

http://www.amazon.com/Belson-Professional-Jumbo-Soft-bonnet-Gh8282/dp/B000WKXL5O

It's not the best dryer (it times out on occassion due to over heating I guess) but it gets the job done. The one thing I do like is the jumbo bonnet b/c my rollers are huge. I will admit I am usually nervous that I will fall asleep and wake up to a bald head. :sad:

I have a tough time getting the front dry b/c the hose is in the back so I tend to swirl the bonnet around to get the front dry.

I don't have the one you mentioned but one similar..

http://www.amazon.com/Belson-Professional-Jumbo-Soft-bonnet-Gh8282/dp/B000WKXL5O

It's not the best dryer (it times out on occassion due to over heating I guess) but it gets the job done. The one thing I do like is the jumbo bonnet b/c my rollers are huge. I will admit I am usually nervous that I will fall asleep and wake up to a bald head. :sad:

I have a tough time getting the front dry b/c the hose is in the back so I tend to swirl the bonnet around to get the front dry.

Yes that one is similar. I wish I had a pic of the lady with it on her head.

Lol@ waking up to a bald head.......but that's not really funny though:look:.

It was $26 but I got it on sale for $21. I think Wal-Mart is dis-continuing it.

I really don't believe how fast my hair dried.....that's what has me scared. I'm like something can't be right:look:.

dnt be scared:grin:
you said it yourself its on secure so that way the air doesn't travel anywhere else
if u have any unwanted breakage u can take it back:yep:
good luck and nice pics

I have the exact same dryer as the OP I got it at Wal-Mart for $26.00. I have been raving about this dryer on here for a couple months now. It's just awesome and yeah the cap is really big and you have to tie it tightly in the back if you don't have rollers in. But I just love it, it has never timed out on me even on high and I never have to adjust it, twist it around or anything because the cap fills so completely with air everything gets dry at the same time and it drys very fast. I have acutually fallen asleep many times with it and it has never overheated. I just love this dryer!:yep:

I'm at work so I can't post pics in the thread, but here's a link to pics of the bonnet on my head:yep: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=18890643&uid=10537045
Thanks for the pics. I wanted everyone to see what it looks like on.

So you think this dryer is ok as far as the heat and everything? The whole time I was sitting there stressed out thinking that my hair was cooking in there. I kept reaching under and feeling it to make sure it's ok. I guess I'm just scared that the heat isn't circulating.

It's not the best dryer (it times out on occassion due to over heating I guess) but it gets the job done.

Yep. The first time I tried to use it, it worked for about 2 minutes, then it just shuts off. It never stayed on for more than 2 minutes, then it just shut off. So I just figured it was defective and I sent it back.

I'm amazed but scared at the same time. My hair was pretty much dry in 45 minutes except a couple little damp spots. Now this is shocking to me because it usually takes me an hour and a half or more. The thing that scares me is that this drier is very closed in, meaning you actually tie the bonnet in the back so no air escapes. I'm wondering if this thing is safe? Does anyone use this dryer? I'm scared there's too much heat trapped in the bonnett:ohwell:.

this dryer is very safe..:yep:
the reason why it dries do fast is that the heat is in a more confined vacinity verses the dryers at the hair salon in which the air flows down and out.. withthe bonet the air is confined and circulates in a more unformed pattern allowing the hair to dry much faster and more uniformed..
they are also great to use when you are deep conditoning your hair...

Yep. The first time I tried to use it, it worked for about 2 minutes, then it just shuts off. It never stayed on for more than 2 minutes, then it just shut off. So I just figured it was defective and I sent it back.
yup!!! defected! :wallbash:!

yup!!! defected! :wallbash:!

And I was highly upset too! I was all ready to use this dryer cuz summer is here and my hooded dryer just gets me too hot. But I bought 2 vintage soft bonnet dryers off of Ebay. I just gotta wipe them down to get rid of that old musty smell. Somebody had said that the vintage soft bonnets work really well.

And I was highly upset too! I was all ready to use this dryer cuz summer is here and my hooded dryer just gets me too hot. But I bought 2 vintage soft bonnet dryers off of Ebay. I just gotta wipe them down to get rid of that old musty smell. Somebody had said that the vintage soft bonnets work really well.

and do!!:grin:
we have a old one that my auntie got like in 1979 when i was born!! i used my las year of high school and still ust it from time to time...
that thing is duct tapped up and you have to put aa weight on it.. but all in all it still works and is not harsh on the hair!!
but i'm gald you sent it back, because you don't need nothing catchin' a fire to your hair!!:nono:

Thanks for the pics. I wanted everyone to see what it looks like on.

So you think this dryer is ok as far as the heat and everything? The whole time I was sitting there stressed out thinking that my hair was cooking in there. I kept reaching under and feeling it to make sure it's ok. I guess I'm just scared that the heat isn't circulating.

Sorry this response took so long I'm on the down low at work. But I havn't seen any type of heat damage or breakage from this dryer if anything it imparts my hair hair with extra moisture and body. And if you're still a little concerned, try spritzing your rolled hair with a heat protectant just before putting on the cap, that's what I do. I can't stress enough what an asset this dryer has been for me, it is the sole reason that I rollerset as often as I do (Once a week). If had to go thru the torture of sitting under a table top dryer for my rollersets it just wouldn't happen....period. One warning though, be careful not to pull on the hose too much while it's hot because the adhesive softens and the hose can detach itself. I just duct taped mine though, now it's better than it was before:yep:

WORST BONNET DRYER EVER!!!

- it takes three full hours to dry a rollerset under here (and i'm 4 in. away from APL!)
- mine won't stay on for more than an hour and a half at a time
- the hose is very flimsy, and it's very easy to get it caught between the dryer cover and poke a hole in it
- the hose always slips out from the bonnet; i've had to duct tape it shut, and the high heat causes the duct to melt off...
- hot on high is WAY TOO HOT, hot on low doesn't get enough air flow, and cool on HIGH doesn't dry fast enough.
- also, the place where you tie it in the back to secure the airflow REALLY burns when the dryer is on hot. plus the bonnet billows down past your shoulder, so you've got to protect your neck (literally), so you don't get burns like i did.

my last straw was three days ago, when the thing shut off, and to this day has never turned back on.

Last edited:

I have the same dryer. it dries fast but is such a nusiance to me

I have one and I love it to death!
ETA: mine is a vintage not the one shown. It was like 12 bucks at a resale shop.

Last edited:
Sorry this response took so long I'm on the down low at work. But I havn't seen any type of heat damage or breakage from this dryer if anything it imparts my hair hair with extra moisture and body. And if you're still a little concerned, try spritzing your rolled hair with a heat protectant just before putting on the cap, that's what I do. I can't stress enough what an asset this dryer has been for me, it is the sole reason that I rollerset as often as I do (Once a week). If had to go thru the torture of sitting under a table top dryer for my rollersets it just wouldn't happen....period. One warning though, be careful not to pull on the hose too much while it's hot because the adhesive softens and the hose can detach itself. I just duct taped mine though, now it's better than it was before:yep:
Thanks. I feel better about using it now. Good suggestion about the heat protectant. I will do that next time for extra protection.

I'm the same as you......if it wasn't for my soft bonnet dryers I would probably never rollerset:nono:......seriously. Those table top dryers make me antsy and give my restless leg syndrome. <------that's a creepy feeling

I didn't think my huge black rollers would fit under there but I squeeze them in there. I knocked one of them out in the process though:sad:.

this dryer is very safe..:yep:
the reason why it dries do fast is that the heat is in a more confined vacinity verses the dryers at the hair salon in which the air flows down and out.. withthe bonet the air is confined and circulates in a more unformed pattern allowing the hair to dry much faster and more uniformed..
they are also great to use when you are deep conditoning your hair...
Thank you for your re-assurance:yep:.

Back